Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

The Reason.....

Albion Dan

Banned
Jul 8, 2003
Peckham
ChapmansThe Saviour said:
Right i see what you are getting at now. Better tv money in the 1st innit?

Away gate reciepts - 10% of 20,000 of 10% of 4,000, hmmmm. i just don't know which i'd prefer.

Cheaper wages - If our players have clauses that say they will get more money in the first i'll be surprised (not saying this isn't the case).

Anyway, he's brought in Mark McGhee who is a manager who has won this divicion twice before. I take it he did this because he isn't trying to get promoted?

For league matches the away team gets none of the gate receipts at all.

Im sure DK would like to see us in Div 1 as a supporter but as Rob has said doesnt want to splash the cash, which is a policy I agree with, although I do wonder how reluctant he would be to allow others to invest and lose his grip on the club, but that is another argument.

The way I see it is that our squad looks painfully thin with no competetion for places, that is the root of our current problems imo, and we desparetley need a winger to replace Brooker, and a central midfielder with experiance. The money obviously isnt there thats my point!

Marc

Jul 6, 2003
Financially Stable - those two words to Leeds, Sunderland, Notts County etc etc would mean a f***ing great deal....they already mean something to us because we ARE just that.

Staying in Div2 will have its pro's & con's just as it will if we go back up (remember the *if*), but at the end of the day people will glady pay mroe money to see decent first Div teams than lowly Second Div meaning more gate receipts in the long run which means more money. I can see that yes staying in Div 2 until falmer will have its benefits in not spedning loads on players...but no one would play for a team that wanted to go nowhere....w.e do...we want to go UP!

north stander

Banned
Nov 5, 2003
the outer limits
albion dan is spot on about what he has said in his post.why go up.because we will end being seen back down again.everybody knows that we have no money.a very bad squad
and a board that waste lots of money on falmer. you need to look back over the last 27 years.we have had the best ever chairman in brighton's history in that time mike bamber.and that was 20
years ago.in his time with the albion he put his money where his mouth was.we had a chairman who got the crowds in to watch the albion.because we where a buying club in them days.did not have to get by on loan players.since bamber has left. not one chairman has done what he did.and that is to spend money on good players. yes chairman come and go,like players.but fans stay!.but at what cost falmer? because if falmer does not happen thats it for the albion with dick knight on board......

Stoaty Ferret

Jul 11, 2003
Brighton
My concerns with MM's loan signings are that they hardly add experience to the team. We have a bunch of talented (hopefully) youngsters that need integrating into the team slowly - Marney, El Abd, Hammond, Mcphee, Harding.... What we need are players with experience at this level. I hope Yeates is great but we really need someone with experience to guide Knight and Mcphee

Albion Rob

For the record, we might not go down again, the side last year was good enough. Just 5 (FIVE) out of 33 (THIRTY THREE) points during that awful run would have saved us.

And besides, weren't Millwall in administration when McGhee took over? His hands would have been well and truly tied.

To sum up - I think DK is very tight with the cash. And I applaud him for that :clap: :clap2:

Last edited:

Gotsmanov

Aug 13, 2003
Brighton
north stander said:
a board that waste lots of money on falmer.............. because if falmer does not happen thats it for the albion with dick knight on board......

I'm sure i'm stating the obvious here, but, well, you complete clown.

The money spent on the Falmer project was completely necessary; if we'd left any stone unturned, the application could have been rejected.

I think you need to edit your statement to 'if falmer does not happen thats it for the albion'.

In the twenty years since Bamber, the world of football has evolved, maybe you've noticed, maybe not. The reason the club started to struggle financially in the late eighties and early nineties was because a lot of the players were on division one wages when we were in the old second and third divisions. You could be a bit of a wind-upmerchant, but, alas, you seem to remember the Bamber days, so I think you're just an idiot. Maybe you don't remember the Archer days, or what's going on at other football clubs. Get behind our chairman, he's doing a fantastic job, running the club frugally and getting us to Falmer.

Kneon Light

Jul 24, 2003
Falkland Islands
"you need to look back over the last 27 years.we have had the best ever chairman in brighton's history in that time mike bamber.and that was 20
years ago.in his time with the albion he put his money where his mouth was"

How can you say Dick Knight has not put his money where his mouth was? Whether you agree or not Knight's priority has always been Falmer and he has quite clearly put his money where his mouth was.

You also say we have "a very bad squad" - We're 3 points off the top of the 2nd division!!! It's not that bad!

BrightonBird said:
GN that is shocking!:ohmy:

Albion Dan, you have your own opinion and I for one am not in agreement, but that doesn't make your point any less valid. I think Fran and I are the only ones who think Roberts is better then Kuipers on this board, and I got a lot of stick off other posters myself.:)
Wahey :clap2: :clap2: :clap2: There IS someone else who prefers Roberts over Kuipers :clap2: :clap2: Didn't realise.

My life is complete now :)

north stander

Banned
Nov 5, 2003
the outer limits
yes but do we have falmer yet!all knights eggs are in one basket.
there is no back up plan if falmer goes tits up.........then who will be laughing...........so get real and get ready for some bad news if and when it happens?

Albion Rob

I would imagine there is a back up plan, but I doubt they would publicise it much as it would make our Falmer case weaker. The wankers, I mean Nimbys, no I don't I mean wankers would say "Well why don't you just piss off to the other site then."

BTW, Mr C, I would rather see Roberts in goal, Kuipers is good, but Roberts is that little bit better.

Kneon Light

Jul 24, 2003
Falkland Islands
north stander said:
yes but do we have falmer yet!all knights eggs are in one basket.
there is no back up plan if falmer goes tits up.........then who will be laughing...........so get real and get ready for some bad news if and when it happens?

I don't think anyone on here will be laughing if Falmer goes tits up.

"get real" !!!! - I think those people who expect loads to be spent on players while we are renting a small athletics stadium are the ones who need to get real.

Lush

Mods' Pet
You're right. Experienced players at the top of their game are going to be playing for their clubs. The only way you can get them is by offering serious money.

But when did you last see a 2nd division team offer serious money for a decent player? It just doesn't happen anymore.

Everyone is either taking on inexperinced youngsters or occasionally getting experienced people who are on the way to retirement.

berkshire seagull

Jul 5, 2003
reading
To be honest sometimes i feel knight is very happy for us to be in this division as he can run it better with money to a min.

Its clear to see he doesn't like spending as we all have seen what he has spent and the larger amounts that have come in.
I have said it before many a times that this club is to big for him as he thinks small all the time.

The supporters and other things pay for the running of this club not knight and i bet you anything the money which has come in i.e zamora has partly paid back his little amount he put in about 3 years ago.

To many people think small and thats why we are where we are its that simple.

One of the few clubs left with big potential and we have been in crap holes for years and never ever get any money to spend.

Why should we be grateful for what we have when the fact is we want a lot more than this.

Thats my opion :lolol: :lolol:

berkshire seagull

Jul 5, 2003
reading
Albion Rob said:
For the record, we might not go down again, the side last year was good enough. Just 5 (FIVE) out of 33 (THIRTY THREE) points during that awful run would have saved us.

And besides, weren't Millwall in administration when McGhee took over? His hands would have been well and truly tied.

To sum up - I think DK is very tight with the cash. And I applaud him for that :clap: :clap2:
You think its good that our chairman who has a small fortune is tight:censored: Now thats why this club will never get anywhere with comments like that.

What is the point in having a bloody chairman if he doesn't do what he is here to do.
How can this club move on when its on the bread line year after year.

Even when and if falmers built he will still be tight and will frustrate fans with the usual we are lucky to be here crap,but lets not forget money is important in football and everyother club tends to buy players.:censored:

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here