Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

The Qur'an

Uncle Spielberg

Jul 6, 2003
Lancing
Anyone else watching this important and fascinating 2 hour education on Channel 4 ?.

Jamon Jamon

Mar 25, 2008
sky plussed (sp?) it...i'll watch it when I have two hours...don't spoil the ending for me

EDIT it's still on, have you given up watching it?

Uncle Spielberg

Jul 6, 2003
Lancing
Correct spelling I guess.

Il Duce

Sussex 'till I die
Aug 19, 2006
NW8
Although it did clearly highlight it, I think more could have been made about Saudi Arabia, which in my narrow minded little opinion is world enemy number one and should be carpet bombed into oblivion.

eastlondonseagull

Jan 15, 2004
West Yorkshire
Excellent programme, Uncle. Very interesting. I had no idea about the differences between the various forms of Islam, nor of the differences within those sects. Quite frightening how the Wahabi (sp?) Muslims in Saudi Arabia are spending billions of dollars printing copies of the Koran with amendments, bracketed suggestions (missiles, guns, bombs) and footnotes! Shocking.

Sufism looks quite cool to me. :clap2:

clapham_gull

Legacy Fan
Aug 20, 2003
Although it did clearly highlight it, I think more could have been made about Saudi Arabia, which in my narrow minded little opinion is world enemy number one and should be carpet bombed into oblivion.

Well I wouldn't exactly put it like that, but I agree it does disappear off the radar when extremism is discussed.

vegster

Sanity Clause
May 5, 2008
Anyone else watching this important and fascinating 2 hour education on Channel 4 ?.

Which episode shaows the failed bomber dressing as a woman to escape ?

cheshunt seagull

Jul 5, 2003
Yes, fascinating series. Learned a lot I didn't know about the various factions and range of interpretations.

I was also intrigued by the prospect of martyrs being presented with a bunch of grapes instead of 72 virgins.

SULLY COULDNT SHOOT

Loyal2Family+Albion!
Sep 28, 2004
Izmir, Southern Turkey
Being in Turkey didnt get to see it...what was the explosive ending?

- Saudi Arabia... even a Muslim like myself thinks Il Duce has a point. Saudi Arabia is a very sinister, very explosive and also very fragile country.

- Grapes and virgins - I hope not... my wife'd kill me! Think metaphors gents :thumbsup:

Uncle Spielberg

Jul 6, 2003
Lancing
Its an Easy joke. The suicide bombers who expect 72 virgins may get presented with a bunch of grapes instead..

The Qur'an is just a guide, people interpret it and live their lives following the guidance of the Qur'an. It is very open to interpretation hence the Islamic Terrorits being selective of what they take from the Qur'an to justify their murderous activities. I can see why the Muslim countries would rise up against invaders. What the preachers failed to mention was that they were not occupied before a small matter of 9/11 so what did they expect.

Some parts of this religion is abhorent , the female circumcision was gruesome and is child abuse and mutilation. Surely woment are made as god intended, if they were intended to be circumcised God would have done that already. The way some nations treat their women is an utter disgrace. They way some countries executed Homosexuals, adulterers and even people found with alcohol is an utter disgrace, stand up Iran. People having their hands cut off for stealing , come on. What the hardliners fail to recognise is that the Qur'an says if they show remorse they should be forgiven. The states who rule by fear pick and chose bits of the Qur'an to justify their actions.

I am sorry but although it did make me appreciate the book more there are still large portions that I am very uncomfortable with and belong in the 7th century not the 21st century.

Ex-Staffs Gull

Jul 5, 2003
Adelaide, SA
Its an Easy joke. The suicide bombers who expect 72 virgins may get presented with a bunch of grapes instead..

The Qur'an is just a guide, people interpret it and live their lives following the guidance of the Qur'an. It is very open to interpretation hence the Islamic Terrorits being selective of what they take from the Qur'an to justify their murderous activities. I can see why the Muslim countries would rise up against invaders. What the preachers failed to mention was that they were not occupied before a small matter of 9/11 so what did they expect.

Some parts of this religion is abhorent , the female circumcision was gruesome and is child abuse and mutilation. Surely woment are made as god intended, if they were intended to be circumcised God would have done that already. The way some nations treat their women is an utter disgrace. They way some countries executed Homosexuals, adulterers and even people found with alcohol is an utter disgrace, stand up Iran. People having their hands cut off for stealing , come on. What the hardliners fail to recognise is that the Qur'an says if they show remorse they should be forgiven. The states who rule by fear pick and chose bits of the Qur'an to justify their actions.

I am sorry but although it did make me appreciate the book more there are still large portions that I am very uncomfortable with and belong in the 7th century not the 21st century.

I couldn't have put it better myself. It is not about living according to basic religious tennants, just like Fundamentalist Christians, Jews, Hindus etc, if you want to interpret certain books in your way then you can. I have heard Shakespere translated into so many meanings, the bloke couldn't possibly have meant all of those, and as they were plays for the common people, they were probably meant to be exactly what they said, without hidden meanings. The same is true of the Old Testament, Qur'an or Torah. Translations were never exact, and what we have today is religious 'Chinese whispers'. The trouble is that people can be found to follow anything if the leader is appealing and their personal position is poor (see German Circa 1933).

SULLY COULDNT SHOOT

Loyal2Family+Albion!
Sep 28, 2004
Izmir, Southern Turkey

You know me Gareth... in my opinion religion is a personal thing and you find your own way. Much of the things you talk about are intererpretations or are not in the Qu'ran at all but are in hadith... which are a collection of largely unsubstantiated myths about the prophet and his companions. I think the bad picture that Qu'ran gets is because many Muslim societies are larely under-developed, strictly controlled by powerful elites for hundreds of years, who have suffocated change, and very very male-dominated.

But that's just my opinion :)

SULLY COULDNT SHOOT

Loyal2Family+Albion!
Sep 28, 2004
Izmir, Southern Turkey
I couldn't have put it better myself. It is not about living according to basic religious tennants, just like Fundamentalist Christians, Jews, Hindus etc, if you want to interpret certain books in your way then you can. I have heard Shakespere translated into so many meanings, the bloke couldn't possibly have meant all of those, and as they were plays for the common people, they were probably meant to be exactly what they said, without hidden meanings. The same is true of the Old Testament, Qur'an or Torah. Translations were never exact, and what we have today is religious 'Chinese whispers'. The trouble is that people can be found to follow anything if the leader is appealing and their personal position is poor (see German Circa 1933).

To further complicate the issue, Arabic is not a precise langauge and one word can have many many meanings... hence the problem in interpreting or translating the Qu'ran.

Uncle Spielberg

Jul 6, 2003
Lancing
You know me Gareth... in my opinion religion is a personal thing and you find your own way. Much of the things you talk about are intererpretations or are not in the Qu'ran at all but are in hadith... which are a collection of largely unsubstantiated myths about the prophet and his companions. I think the bad picture that Qu'ran gets is because many Muslim societies are larely under-developed, strictly controlled by powerful elites for hundreds of years, who have suffocated change, and very very male-dominated.

But that's just my opinion :)

Yes, they did say the Hadith was the hardline interpretation followed in Saudi Arabia and Iran.

Uncle Spielberg

Jul 6, 2003
Lancing

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here