Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

The Proper Darts

Pavilionaire

Jul 7, 2003
The point has now been reached when the whole BDO 'circus' is actually damaging the sport of darts.

For the BBC to be hosting a clip of the first leg of the Fleet / Adams match prominently on their website is making a mockery of the tournament.

The whole event is a throwback to the bad old days of the late 70s / early 80s - in the BDO nothing has changed: The Lakeside's still hosting, Martin Fitzmaurice is still MC'ing, Tony Green's still commentating - the sport is stuck in the velvet-jacket and black bowtie, chicken-in-a-basket timewarp when the players toe the oche the worse for booze.

If I was Barry hearn I wouldn't know whether to laugh or cry.

TonyW

Feb 11, 2004
f*** quality, its all about the tension. BDO gives that in spades.

Unless you like seeing the champion win 5-0 quarters, 6-0 semis, 7-3 final, to pick up the trophy for the 15th time in 20 years. Sure he's good, but it aint half dull.

Tiger Woods
Steve Davis
Stephen Hendry
Edwin Moses
Larry Holmes
David Bryant
Pete Sampras
Bjorn Borg
Roger Federer
Liverpool
Leicester Tigers
Celtic/Rangers
Sugar Ray Leonard
Lester Piggot
Michael Schumaker
Alain Prost

Kinda dominated their respective sports for a few years each me-thinks!!!

And there's plenty more...

The Goon

Gully's Boy
Nov 24, 2008
Blowing up the Balloons!!!
Tiger Woods
Steve Davis
Stephen Hendry
Edwin Moses
Larry Holmes
David Bryant
Pete Sampras
Bjorn Borg
Roger Federer
Liverpool
Leicester Tigers
Celtic/Rangers
Sugar Ray Leonard
Lester Piggot
Michael Schumaker
Alain Prost

Kinda dominated their respective sports for a few years each me-thinks!!!

And there's plenty more...

haha legend :clap2:

contrast to the shite throwing that was adams-fleet, for the opposite end of the scale look only to west-chisnall yesterday where 180s were thrown one after the other!!

MJsGhost

Oooh Matron, I'm an
NSC Patron
Jun 26, 2009
East
I have no idea why everyone gets so uppity about the difference between PDC and BDO... I just love watching the darts and will be trying to get tickets for either event next year. I’ll happily drink beer all day watching the ebb and flow of a match, or watch in awe as Taylor takes someone apart. :thumbsup:

It’s a good thing the PDC fans on here don’t take the same stance regarding the quality of the football they watch, or they’d all f off and watch the Prem instead! :wrong:

Pavilionaire

Jul 7, 2003
The issue here is not whether you favour the BDO or the PDC but the very future of the sport.

Barry Hearn has done an amazing job at the PDC, but he recognises that he doesn't get the big terrestrial audiences that the BDO commands, and he doesn't have the grass roots infrastructure that the BDO has.

Olly Croft and the BDO don't care about the well-being of the sport - if they did they'd grasp the olive branch Hearn extended recently.

What puzzles me is the BBC's attitude towards the sport. They don't cover much else than the BDO World's and they go and stick that joke first leg Adams vs Fleet on their website - it's almost as if they regard it as a joke sport, and getting Colin Murray in as anchorman only increases this feeling.

This contrasts with Sky's excellent coverage of darts, where they've given loads of airtime and got the best ex-pros in as pundits.

Tooting Gull

Jul 5, 2003
Ted Hankey, what a state that bloke is. The BDO players are in one of three categories: either they're rubbish, or a little better than that but still shit-scared of the PDC boys beating them up every week, or (a very small category, with no members this season) actually half-decent and could cross over, like Whitlock did recently. I think Hankey is probably too scared to try the PDC, likes being a big fish in a small pond.

Basil Fawlty

Don't Mention The War
Ted Hankey, what a state that bloke is. The BDO players are in one of three categories: either they're rubbish, or a little better than that but still shit-scared of the PDC boys beating them up every week, or (a very small category, with no members this season) actually half-decent and could cross over, like Whitlock did recently. I think Hankey is probably too scared to try the PDC, likes being a big fish in a small pond.

The only player who could make it big, is Tony O'Shea. The others aren't fit to even wear Taylor boots.

Hiney

Super Moderator
Helpful Moderator
Jul 5, 2003
Penrose, Cornwall
Crodonilson can talk this up as much as he likes, the irrefutable FACT is that the BDO is a great big steaming pile of ELEPHANT WANK, when compared to the PDC.

It's like comparing the Neasden & District Sunday League Div 10 (South), with The Premier League. Both are enjoyable in their own way, both to those who play and spectate BUT, whichever way you look at it, The Premier League is WAY better.

crodonilson

He/Him
Jan 17, 2005
Lyme Regis
This fantastic tournament is reaching it's climax, semi's today and they are two absolute belters:

Dave 'Chizzy' Chisnall v Tony 'The Silverback' O'Shea
Martin 'Wolfie' Adams v Martin 'The Monster' Phillips

Streamed live on BBC Sport website for those of us at work

:clap2:

Normal Rob

Jul 8, 2003
Somerset
it's the shots of the hunnies in the crowd that does it for me.

I prefer the BDO tournament - just a nicer event, supported by nicer people in my experience. And i've been to both on many an occassion. Much more fun to go to.

Last edited:

crodonilson

He/Him
Jan 17, 2005
Lyme Regis
Well Chisnall closed that one out in emphatic fashion!

Gutted for the Silverback, he's been a teriffic servant for darts but seems destined to always be the nearly man. Great scoring and finishing from Chsinall after the break and him against Wolfie in the final would be a fitting finale to this great tournament.

Normal Rob

Jul 8, 2003
Somerset
Gutted for the Silverback, he's been a teriffic servant for darts but seems destined to always be the nearly man. Great scoring and finishing from Chsinall after the break and him against Wolfie in the final would be a fitting finale to this great tournament.

And now we get at least one more post match interview with 'gift of the gab' Dave 'Charisma' Chisnall.

Stat Brother

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
West west west Sussex
And now we get at least one more post match interview with 'gift of the gab' Dave 'Charisma' Chisnall.
lol, no one can sell it like Chizzy.

Leekbrookgull

Jul 14, 2005
Leek
Have to say,the last two matchs Dave Chisnall has played great veiwing. The PDC will want him,make no mistake. :wave:

Attachments

• 1.jpg
    1.jpg
    32.3 KB · Views: 47

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here