Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

The problems with all-seater stadia, a list

Acker79

NSC Patron
Nov 15, 2008
Brighton
Really? What's better about sitting?

Well, as you get older, standing for two hours can make your legs ache.
There's also more of a defined area, admittedly there are occasions when bigger people squeeze into your area, but generally there are defined spaces, which is better for people who don't like tipsy strangers hugging them and edging in front of you.
Also, not that it's necessarily better, but that it's a habit. Some of us have gotten used to sitting down having done so for so many years now.

Aldo

Ruffian Revolution. STH.
Jul 15, 2008
Hove
I wonder if there will ever be a thread on here where the conversation doesn't end up mentioning Liverpool or the Premier League.

Beach Hut

Brighton Bhuna Boy
Jul 5, 2003
Living In a Box
Ooh err - infamy infamy they've all got it in for me.

Forget it as all seater stadia are here for ever but as I said actually go and do something meaningful about what you believe as opposed to just boring us all on here.

Brighton till i die

You havin' a bubble?
Jan 31, 2004
On the terraces!!
Ooh err - infamy infamy they've all got it in for me.

Forget it as all seater stadia are here for ever but as I said actually go and do something meaningful about what you believe as opposed to just boring us all on here.

U seem the only one getting bored (and increasingly frustrated, strangley) by this 'discussion' on a discussion forum.

Sussex Nomad

Aug 26, 2010
EP
Don't mind sitting nowadays, being in that mid/late 40's stage of life! But the one thing not mentioned that winds me up, and not necessarily the persons fault, could after all be me, is having to constantly stand up to let someone past you for the toilet or the bar or whatever.

Notters

Oct 20, 2003
Guiseley
Don't mind sitting nowadays, being in that mid/late 40's stage of life! But the one thing not mentioned that winds me up, and not necessarily the persons fault, could after all be me, is having to constantly stand up to let someone past you for the toilet or the bar or whatever.

That's another good one. Funny that one of the worst things about sitting down is having to stand up! Though it wouldn't be a problem if people were a) capable of walking and b) able to go an hour without stuffing their faces. Dread to think what it's going to be like at the Amex with Harveys stampedes.

JBizzle

Apr 18, 2010
Seaford
I understand the frustration but the simple facts are it will never happen in my view.

Have to say I prefer sitting having got used to it over the years.

Thats absolutely fine and I agree. All seater grounds are, in my belief a safety measure preventing the stadium disasters of the 80's. I'd happily sit through a match rather than run the risk of it happening again.

One of my most terrifying thoughts when at the Goldstone was knowing that (at 8, 9 or 10 years old) I KNEW I would be kneed, pushed, kicked etc as soon as anything major happened.

cuthbert

Oct 24, 2009
One other thing; Ken Brown said at our ST presentation on Friday that after this season ALL league clubs would have to make their grounds all seater. Anyone know if this is true? I'd have thought it could put a number of clubs with lots of terrace remaining, e.g. Exeter, out of business.

I thought that was just at Championship level, surely Morecambe's new ground is not all-seater.

Herr Tubthumper

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
The Fatherland
One other thing; Ken Brown said at our ST presentation on Friday that after this season ALL league clubs would have to make their grounds all seater. Anyone know if this is true? I'd have thought it could put a number of clubs with lots of terrace remaining, e.g. Exeter, out of business.

Says who? There is no legal requirement. It's just some critria the licensing people use and clubs abide by. I'm sure if it was challenged it would fall down.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here