Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

The price we paid

BensGrandad

Jul 13, 2003
Haywards Heath
I had an Old Morris 8 that I paid £8.10s for and used to put 10s of petrol in it twice a week. The day before my wedding. June 1865, I bought an Austin A40 Devon for £25 froma company called Triad Engineering who were ona side street near the open market in London Road. I took the car to the pub The Swan in Worthing and got well pissed as one did on your stag night and to this day cannot remember which pub I left it at and have never seen it since that day. Like a fool I left the log book and receipt in the glove box and didnt remember the Reg No. Those were the days.

The Antikythera Mechanism

The oldest known computer
NSC Patron
Aug 7, 2003
[YT]<object width="480" height="385"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/Xe1a1wHxTyo&hl=en_GB&fs=1&"></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/Xe1a1wHxTyo&hl=en_GB&fs=1&" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true" width="480" height="385"></embed></object>[/YT]

skipper734

Registered ruffian
Aug 9, 2008
Curdridge
I had an Old Morris 8 that I paid £8.10s for and used to put 10s of petrol in it twice a week. The day before my wedding. June 1865, I bought an Austin A40 Devon for £25 froma company called Triad Engineering who were ona side street near the open market in London Road. I took the car to the pub The Swan in Worthing and got well pissed as one did on your stag night and to this day cannot remember which pub I left it at and have never seen it since that day. Like a fool I left the log book and receipt in the glove box and didnt remember the Reg No. Those were the days.

I bought this from Triad £25 in 1963. Paid 10/- a week to a HP firm with offices on the first floor in the building on the corner of Queens Road and Church Street.

Attachments

• image50022.jpg
    image50022.jpg
    92.8 KB · Views: 107

Jan 19, 2009
Worthing
I think the FA Cup final ticket for our visit was £6-50 - wonder what they paid this weekend?

I remember the replay was £4.00, because I queued all night and bought 4, and then went to back of the queue ( by now under the bridge ) and sold 3 of them for £8 each.

The profit paid for enough alchohol for me to be arrested at Victoria Station by the SPG for being drunk & disorderly:drunk: and therefore miss said replay.

Ah, youth...............

seagullsoverlincoln

Jul 14, 2009
i think it was 30p to get in the chicken run, 10p for ten number six and 10p for half a mild
down the Crown and Anchor,all in approx 1974.

The Grockle

Formally Croydon Seagull
Sep 26, 2008
Dorset

withdeanwombat

Feb 17, 2005
Somersetshire
I rememember The 1d programme at Spurs which was 1 piece of foolscap paper, bitter 1/6 a pint, haddock and chips 1/10. The only drawback is that I was earning £8 10s a week before tax and NI, and my Mum took £2 10s a week housekeeping.

Similar.

But I was rich beyond dreams in those far off days.

AND England won the World Cup under a decent regime.

The Sock of Poskett

The best is yet to come (spoiler alert)
Jun 12, 2009
Pretty sure it was 70p to get in the North Stand in about 1977 ...

You could have a night on the town, fish and chips, sign a striker and still have change from a fiver. Aye, them were the days ???

Durlston

"You plonker, Rodney!"
NSC Patron
Jul 15, 2009
Haywards Heath
10 b&h £1.10

It was around 1991. The older lads used to buy ciggies if we gave them the money. I got caught in school when i was 13 by a teacher - Mrs Carr, who was fit. She taught English and PSVE - f*** knows what it stood for but it was more or less sex education. Probably the nicest teacher we had at that school at the time.

A pint of cider at the Alliance in Edward Street ... 1s 4d (just under 7p).

Weekly rent for a three-bedroomed furnished house in Telscombe Village ... £6 6s - split three ways, that was £2.10 each. And there was a bloke called Reg who kept the garden tidy included in the rent. This was in 1969-70.

I moved out of there to go and live in Italy, where the local wine (now marketed worldwide as Rosso di Montalcino, currently on special offer - reduced from £15 a bottle to £7.82 - at Bibendum) cost 200 lire for two litres (7p a litre at the exchange rate that then applied).

When I came back to Brighton, in 1972, I bought a Mk I Cortina for £50.

OzMike

Oct 2, 2006
Perth Australia
Lager 35p a pint.
Does anybody remember the Tonibell Saucy Tanner ice cream, cost 6d (that's old pennies for you young whipersnappers). :drool:

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here