Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

The price of a courgette

Bozza

You can change this
Helpful Moderator
Jul 4, 2003
Back in Sussex
Did a small shop in Sainburys Metro/Express/Whatever they call a small urban store.

Bought general groceries.

Upon glancing at my receipt I note that 2 (two) courgettes cost me £1.14. £1.14 for two bloody courgettes!

In comparison, 2 bananas cost 21p. 2 red onions cost 30p.

One pound and 14 pence?!? How much are courgettes around your neck of the woods?

Cheeky Monkey

Jul 17, 2003
Dunno about courgettes, but I bought one peach from Somerfield for 49p last week. I know it's supposed to be 'out of season' but that is frickin ridiculous.

Bozza

You can change this
Helpful Moderator
Jul 4, 2003
Back in Sussex
When I get home from work after 7pm there are not too many grocers of green produce interested enough to be open to take my pounds.

perseus

Broad Blue & White stripe
Jul 5, 2003
Sūþseaxna
Chelsea will sign Zucchini for £50 million toomarrow. It was yellow and they thought it was a banana. :jester:

Last edited:

lincs seagull

Feb 25, 2004
boston
The weather in spain this year has been the worest for 52 years with veg and salad crops production down 70%

So we have to import from further afield on a open market which is at a high

cougette cucumbers salad leaves, and other salad plants which normally come out of spain are now hard to come buy

a few supermarkets are keeping the price fixed as part of the contracts so the suppliers are feeling it not of course the supermarkets.

so expensive courgette untill may ish

Dalston market, you can get a 1lb of courgette's for about a £1.:lolol:

Around 4 o'clock you can get a large bowl for the same price.:lolol: :lolol:

The local Turkish shop will cost about £1.30 for a 1lb.

Bargains galore!!!

LC

Jul 20, 2003
I did Sunday lunch for 4 at the weekend - all veg from the little greengrocers near Palmeira Square

bunch of asparagus

100g of rocket

2lbs spring greens

1/2 lb shallots

2lbs new potatos

1lb of carrots

a swede

4 apples

1lb of parsnips

all tastier than supermarket crap and change from a fiver

and the joint of pork from Canhmas was magnificent, full of flavour and a completely different class compared to the cardboard that the supermarkets have on their shelves

the Tesco express at Palmeira Square is a disgrace and should never be allowed - they want to drive small retailers like the greengrocers and Canhams in Church Road out of business - BASTARDS

do a taste test on a Canhams pie and a supermarket alternative and KNOW the difference

look at the yellow fat on beef in a proper butchers compared to the pasty white junk on supermarket meat and KNOW the difference

BOLLOCKS TO TESCO

itszamora

Go Jazz Go
Sep 21, 2003
London
pevenseagull said:
I did Sunday lunch for 4 at the weekend - all veg from the little greengrocers near Palmeira Square

bunch of asparagus

100g of rocket

2lbs spring greens

1/2 lb shallots

2lbs new potatos

1lb of carrots

a swede

4 apples

1lb of parsnips

all tastier than supermarket crap and change from a fiver

and the joint of pork from Canhmas was magnificent, full of flavour and a completely different class compared to the cardboard that the supermarkets have on their shelves

the Tesco express at Palmeira Square is a disgrace and should never be allowed - they want to drive small retailers like the greengrocers and Canhams in Church Road out of business - BASTARDS

do a taste test on a Canhams pie and a supermarket alternative and KNOW the difference

look at the yellow fat on beef in a proper butchers compared to the pasty white junk on supermarket meat and KNOW the difference

BOLLOCKS TO TESCO

Couldn't agree more, though my mum has put something of an embargo on our local butchers since he walked out on his wife (good friend of my mum) with the village matress.

And with a family of 7, thats a lot of custom he's missing out on! :shootself

Gwylan

Jul 5, 2003
Uffern
Cheeky Monkey said:
In my experience supermarkets kick greengrocer's asses when it comes to prices.

You must be going to greengrocers where they offer a blow-job with every purchase then.

Greengrocers tend to be considerably cheaper than supermarkets. At my local one in Tooting, I'd pay about 70% of what I'd pay in Sainsbury's - it's a pity I don't have one in Coldean.

pasty

A different kind of pasty
Jul 5, 2003
West, West, West Sussex
Other vegetables are quite cheep though......

A young woman discovered her husband was having an affair. She hired a detective who found out he always helped his bit on the side do the shopping every Wednesday. So she hired a hitman to do away with them both. "My code name is Arty" he said when they met. "I want you to kill them both, however you want, and they always do their shopping on Wednesdays in Sainsbury's" she told him. Arty said he hated infidelity and would do the deed for only £1.

Next Wednesday he did the dirty dead, strangling them both to death in Sainsbury's carpark.

Headline in the newspaper next day?
"Arty chokes two for a pound at Sainsbury's"

*taxi*

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here