Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

The price for 'personal freedom' at football

Okay so it's wonderful to have personal choices and complete freedom.

So what about football crowds?

First match of the season in Stockholm for Djurgårdens IF was a derby vs AIK; flares, a fire in the home stand (quickly extinguished by a steward), flags and streamers and all kinds of paper to wade through, beer everywhere and drunk fans carrying in trayloads more, everyone HAS to stand, and they don't compete for height because everyone stood on the plastic seats (many are cracked as a result, and don't get fixed), flares in the stands with smoke a constant, stoppages of play if one lands on the pitch. Parents mostly do not bring their kids.
Flagpoles and 'stuff' was flaying from one stand into another over a fence, at one point, loads of youths swarm to that area.
Old bill are everywhere inside and out, horses and vans and helicopters outside and riot gear, everyone running and some fighting after the game.

The match itself was a fix if ever I saw one. Every possibility of a scoring chance saw the ball hit languidly wide, way over the bar, or crossed to the keeper's arms. The players did not look too bothered - and like it was an enactment of a game just to appease all in attendance (threats of punishment have hung over both clubs, closed-door games narrowly avoided at end of previous season).

That was a few weeks back.

Yesterday I was at Sodertalje for Syrianska v AIK - Syrians scored about 15-20 minutes in, then shortly afterwards an AIK player got red carded. A couple of flares burned the astroturf (must be expensive I'd have thought), bomb-like fireworks going off all over - one hits a linesman and he's taken to hospital with hearing damage. Aggression from the AIK stands sets off the Syrians (many fans are, of course, Syrian) and fireworks go off everywhere with mayhem there too. Armed (riot sticks) security all over the show in the main home stand.

Players and officials have left the field already.

AIK get a line of stewards, for which some complain they have been unfairly selected. I got hit by a coin which broke my reading glasses - could have hit me in the eye. Game called off altogether, so loads of decently-behaved (mostly the home support) people, including girls, kids and families paid for about 15 minutes of football and 25 mins watching mayhem and flares.
Outside there were the obligatory running battles with police and horses.
A probable fine for AIK and maybe Syrians, a likelihood of a point deduction (6 points mentioned, though they haven't even accumulated 6 yet).

The Syrians and AIK didn't even have a proper rivalry compared to theirs with Hammarby, and Djurgårdens in Stockholm. Sodertalje is about 30 miles South from the City.

Basically, Swedish fans don't have to provide any info on buying tickets, are allowed to arrive drunk and drink more inside the stadium, don't want any cameras or affect on their personal freedom, and see stewarding and policing as another infringement of that.

The football is becoming ever more crap, kids and families don't want to attend, fans have less chance of seeing the match, and the game is grinding to a horrible screeching halt.

But still, they get to stand and there's definitely an atmosphere.

This is not 'fantasy', just the account from an eyewitness (happily still with 2 eyes). Reading between the lines of the above not required. Some details such as times, are approximate. Anyone refuting the above just because I reported it, is just a twat.

Last edited:

theonesmith

Oct 27, 2008

First match of the season in Stockholm for Djurgårdens IF was a derby vs AIK; flares, a fire in the home stand (quickly extinguished by a steward), flags and streamers and all kinds of paper to wade through, beer everywhere and drunk fans carrying in trayloads more, everyone HAS to stand, and they don't compete for height because everyone stood on the plastic seats (many are cracked as a result, and don't get fixed), flares in the stands with smoke a constant, stoppages of play if one lands on the pitch. Parents mostly do not bring their kids.
Flagpoles and 'stuff' was flaying from one stand into another over a fence, at one point, loads of youths swarm to that area.
Old bill are everywhere inside and out, horses and vans and helicopters outside and riot gear, everyone running and some fighting after the game.

The match itself was a fix if ever I saw one. Every possibility of a scoring chance saw the ball hit languidly wide, way over the bar, or crossed to the keeper's arms. The players did not look too bothered - and like it was an enactment of a game just to appease all in attendance (threats of punishment have hung over both clubs, closed-door games narrowly avoided at end of previous season).

Yesterday I was at Sodertalje for Syrianska v AIK - Syrians scored about 15-20 minutes in, then shortly afterwards an AIK player got red carded. A couple of flares burned the astroturf (must be expensive I'd have thought), bomb-like fireworks going off all over - one hits a linesman and he's taken to hospital with hearing damage. Aggression from the AIK stands sets off the Syrians (many fans are, of course, Syrian) and fireworks go off everywhere with mayhem there too. Armed (riot sticks) security all over the show in the main home stand.

AIK get a line of stewards, for which some complain they have been unfairly selected. I got hit by a coin which broke my reading glasses - could have hit me in the eye. Game called off altogether, so loads of decently-behaved (mostly the home support) people, including girls, kids and families paid for about 15 minutes of football and 25 mins watching mayhem and flares.
A probable fine for AIK and maybe Syrians, a likelihood of a point deduction (6 points mentioned, though they haven't even accumulated 6 yet).

The Syrians and AIK didn't even have a proper rivalry compared to theirs with Hammarby, and Djurgårdens in Stockholm. Sodertalje is about 30 miles South from the City.

Basically, Swedish fans don't have to provide any info on buying tickets, are allowed to arrive drunk and drink more inside the stadium, don't want any cameras or affect on their personal freedom, and see stewarding and policing as another infringement of that.

The football is becoming ever more crap, kids and families don't want to attend, fans have less chance of seeing the match, and the game is grinding to a horrible screeching halt.

This is not 'fantasy', just the account from an eyewitness (happily still with 2 eyes). Reading between the lines of the above not required. Some details such as times, are approximate. Anyone refuting the above just because I reported it, is just a twat.

Great recounting of the situation, quite an enjoyable read.. But surely you accept that that is just the other extreme? The Germans also get to stand, and don't indulge in that sort of behaviour?

Commander

NSC Patron
Apr 28, 2004
London

This is all well and good, NMH, but what point are you trying to make? That if you and your steward chums at Withdean weren't as over-zealous as you are then we would be witnessing this kind of thing there?

The problems you are talking about in Sweden clearly run a lot deeper than just a football match. Same as they did here in the 70's and 80's. To suggest that we would see this kind of thing regularly in the UK if people were allowed to stand and create and atmosphere is just ridiculous.

I could go to a game in Eastern Europe, Central America or Africa and witness serious crowd trouble, and then come on here and say it is because people are allowed to stand and create an atmosphere. Or I could go to plenty of other places e.g. Spain, Germany etc and say people were allowed to stand and it was a cracking atmosphere and there was no trouble. It doesn't make it in any way relevant to Brighton & Hove Albion, and just proves once again that people like you should not be stewarding at football matches in this country.

I'm sorry your reading glasses got broken, I do hope you managed to get them mended?

Scotty Mac

Jul 13, 2003
meanwhile, just short of 25,000 fans stand with no problems on dortmunds yellow wall

1393331090_31feb1547d.jpg

Notters

Oct 20, 2003
Guiseley
Sorry. Are you saying that if we were allowed to stand, we wouldn't be able to resist throwing fireworks at each other?

Scotty Mac

Jul 13, 2003
and here we see some bordeaux fans standing in a seated area of their home ground. yet, what is this? i see nothing been thrown or games being abandoned? surely not given nmh's testimony of such a situation leading to the ultimate carnage

10225_129405322991_505432991_2555331_3148828_n.jpg

Commander

NSC Patron
Apr 28, 2004
London
Basically, NMH, as usual, you are ranting on about something that either has no actual point, or you are fantasising that there would be huge riots all over English football if the fans were actually treated like Adults and didn't have the likes of you to protect them. Well you didn't do a very good job in stopping this riot in Stockholm, did you? Perhaps you are not up to the job.

Joey Deacon's Disco Suit

It's a THUG life
Apr 19, 2010
The title is a misnomer too. If I were going to let off fires and fireworks, assault police and the like I wouldn't want cameras there either but the vast majority of fans in the UK just want to stand as it helps create a better atmosphere. This does not equate to a desire to be anti-social and the violence allegedly witnessed by NMH is not the price for allowing fans to stand. It seems that, as others have said, problems in Swedish football run a lot deeper than just getting everyone to sit down to fix the problem.

This report isn't "just" by an eye-witness either. It's by a bitter misanthrope who was stewarding the game (apparently ineffectually) with a very dim view of fans and how to deal with them. He even claims the game was a fix. I'll take this report with a pinch of salt and run the risk of being called a twat by NMH. He's called everyone else that disagrees with him that at some time, I'm sure.

Silent Bob

( ͡° ͜ʖ ͡°)
Dec 6, 2004
Sorry. Are you saying that if we were allowed to stand, we wouldn't be able to resist throwing fireworks at each other?
We are animals, there's no getting away from it. We're just a thin bright orange line away from cannibalism!

Commander

NSC Patron
Apr 28, 2004
London

Sussex Nomad

Aug 26, 2010
EP
My first reaction was... if that behaviour went on in England nowadays we'd be banned from whatever football UEFA/FIFA can ban us from. How the hell do these countries get away with it?

Gwylan

Jul 5, 2003
Uffern
My first reaction was... if that behaviour went on in England nowadays we'd be banned from whatever football UEFA/FIFA can ban us from. How the hell do these countries get away with it?

No, I can't possibly think why UEFA and FIFA treat Swedish fans differently

tmpphpailh8j.jpg

swedish-female-soccer-fans.jpg

Silent Bob

( ͡° ͜ʖ ͡°)
Dec 6, 2004
Probably by not doing it in UEFA matches?

Ignoring the football element of this I thought that everything in Sweden was wonderful and that we in England should aspire to be like them. It must be so as I am sure I read about how nice it was in the Mail or Express.

Commander

NSC Patron
Apr 28, 2004
London
Why do people respond to this dribble? NMH is becoming more and more like HB&B, just posting nonsense for the sake of it and revelling in the 'attention'. If people didn't bite he may not post this shite.

Yeah I think you're right. I used to quite enjoy arguing with him, but the last couple of months I have realised that he is either on a wind-up (which if correct is brilliant as he has completely got me) or he is slowly going mental (more likely I think).

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here