Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

The Premiership - When will the bubble burst

adrian29uk

Sep 10, 2003
At least the Championship, Div1 ,Div2 and the Blue Square is where the real football is being played, where the real supporters are. Yes we really are the poor relations.

Even the bottom half of the premiership are now poor relations.

Why is it none of the foreign investors go to Italy? Is it because the supporters would kick them out? Or is it because it is just shit these days?

Last edited:

trueblue

Jul 5, 2003
Hove
There was someone yesterday on the radio banging on about how all these foreign owners are the death of English football.....but does it really matter?

If the likes of Man City and Chelsea eventually go bang big time, there will always be other clubs to fill the void.

Knotty

Feb 5, 2004
Canterbury
At least the Championship, Div1 ,Div2 and the Blue Square is where the real football is being played, where the real supporters are. Yes we really are the poor relations.

Even the bottom half of the premiership are now poor relations.
Why is it none of the foreign investors go to Italy? Is it because the supporters would kick them out?

But don't you think that all the clubs in those divisions would love to be in the Premier League? Yes they are now the poor relations but they wouldn't turn down the opportunity to be one of the rich relations.

And how could the supporters in Italy kick out foreign investors?

Spider

Sep 15, 2007
Hasn't a small Italian club (Bologna?) just been bought by a big wealthy group of Americans? And in Germany there's that little village club that got bought by a billionaire and sent to the top division. It doesn't just happen in England, but probably more here than anywhere else. Plus, we have such a fine tradition of football and football clubs it's a shame that there are a few who are willing to ruin this for the sake of a bit more money.

Knotty

Feb 5, 2004
Canterbury
Hasn't a small Italian club (Bologna?) just been bought by a big wealthy group of Americans? And in Germany there's that little village club that got bought by a billionaire and sent to the top division. It doesn't just happen in England, but probably more here than anywhere else. Plus, we have such a fine tradition of football and football clubs it's a shame that there are a few who are willing to ruin this for the sake of a bit more money.

How can any club turn down big money when it is offered to them. What are they supposed to say? "We want to stay true to our traditions and not be very succesful"? "We want to reach a certain level and no more"?

Same with players. Bobby Zamora is an Albion hero but if had really made it to the top and was being paid £140,000 a week at Chelsea now, would he now be despised by us and branded an over-paid prima donna? Would he have had to turn down that money and say "I'm not worth that, please pay me only £10,000 a week" to retain his hero status?

How many current Albion fans would really disown the club if some foreign buyer put many millions into the club and we progressed to the Premier League, won the FA Cup and played in Europe?

Titanic

Super Moderator
Helpful Moderator
Jul 5, 2003
West Sussex
...How many current Albion fans would really disown the club if some foreign buyer put many millions into the club and we progressed to the Premier League, won the FA Cup and played in Europe?

I'm sure there would be a few 'right on' types who would set up an AFC Brighton or something in protest at capitalist corruption and the theft of the working man's game :jester:

Herr Tubthumper

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
The Fatherland
How many current Albion fans would really disown the club if some foreign buyer put many millions into the club and we progressed to the Premier League, won the FA Cup and played in Europe?

I have nothing against anyone who isnt corrupt pumping money into the club....but I will kick up a fuss if we dont do things a certain way. Barca are a great example. They have a huge turnover, are world known but still do things in an appropriate and reasonably ethical manner. It can be done. They are ingrained and provide a lot for the city.

If Brighton the club lost its touch with the city and its supporters it will be a sad day and something I think a lot of supporters would kick up a fuss about.

Knotty

Feb 5, 2004
Canterbury
I have nothing against anyone who isnt corrupt pumping money into the club....but I will kick up a fuss if we dont do things a certain way. Barca are a great example. They have a huge turnover, are world known but still do things in an appropriate and reasonably ethical manner. It can be done. They are ingrained and provide a lot for the city.

If Brighton the club lost its touch with the city and its supporters it will be a sad day and something I think a lot of supporters would kick up a fuss about.

I agree with you, but how would we know if someone is corrupt and how would we define corrupt?

Manchester United have not lost touch with the city and its supporters - it's just that they have attracted millions of extra supporters outside the city.

Brightonfan1983

Jul 5, 2003
UK
I cant say I'm bothered to be honest. Whilst I would like Brighton to get into the Premiership one day I will also be quite satisfied for us to have nothing more than relative success within the parameters of The Football League. Winning the Premiership is not the reason I watch Brighton.

My thoughts exactly.

Maybe when the fans voted with their feet and stopped going.

Unlikely maybe but what would the reaction be if just for one complete week, fans of all the Prem teams didn't go and watch a single match.

Would that prick the egos of the multi millionaires playing every week and the assorted wealthy owners and make them think that perhaps they had lost touch with reality and most importantly the fans.

It would be nice to see but I guess it's dreamworld

Knotty

Feb 5, 2004
Canterbury

Unlikely maybe but what would the reaction be if just for one complete week, fans of all the Prem teams didn't go and watch a single match.

Would that prick the egos of the multi millionaires playing every week and the assorted wealthy owners and make them think that perhaps they had lost touch with reality and most importantly the fans.

So when we got close to 7th in the Championship we should stop going in protest?

So what should the Premier League teams and players do to solve the problem?

bhafc99

Oct 14, 2003
Dubai

Nope, they'd just play the next game in Dubai, or Hong Kong, or Beijing…

Pavilionaire

Jul 7, 2003
The bubble will burst for individual teams but there is SO much vested interested in the Premier League that the competition as a business is unlikely to implode. In fact, it is probably one of the most recession-proof businesses there is.

Cheeky Monkey

Jul 17, 2003
Michel Platini as President of eufa wants to stop teams entering the EUFA Champions League if they are trading in the red year in year out. Which is aimed at the likes of Man U and Chelsea when Real Madrid are supported by Santander Bank (Abbey) and then write off the debts each years so they never show a loss over the year.

Platini won't be happy until he's wiped English football off the face of the map. What is that guy's problem? If he's not taking issue with the English national team its our league clubs.

Platini won't be happy until he's wiped English football off the face of the map. What is that guy's problem? If he's not taking issue with the English national team its our league clubs.

It seems to me that he's trying to sort out some of the endemic problems with football in this country. Yes he comes up with some crazy ideas (as does Blatter), and much of it probably is aimed at reducing our power within the game. However, I think in this case he is bang on. And his idea of restricting the number of foreigners in the game, while not workable on a practical level, is also pretty good.

beorhthelm

A. Virgo, Football Genius
Jul 21, 2003
The bubble will burst for individual teams but there is SO much vested interested in the Premier League that the competition as a business is unlikely to implode. In fact, it is probably one of the most recession-proof businesses there is.

most sensible answer. the City deal hasnt been funded for commercial reasons, its a play thing, and same goes for Chelsea and others. like you might have a leary night out, or a trader spanks his bonus on a new porshce, the super rich have to spend their money on somthing, and Premier Leauge teams seems a popular thing. theres only 20 odd of them, and a lot of super rich, it could get sillier still.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here