Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

The Premiership - When will the bubble burst

Tom Hark Preston Park

Will Post For Cash
Jul 6, 2003
The bubble will burst if SKY ever pull the plug. Tho will need some knid of massive scandal, maybe widespread match-fixing or something, for that to happen.

Cheeky Monkey

Jul 17, 2003
When UEFA step in and say enough is enough and introduce salary and transfer caps. Failing that, when Kurt Nogan returns to the Albion, fires us into the Premiership and onto 20 consecutive European Cups, everyone in European football gets bored and Brit clubs are banned from European Competition once again.

algie

The moaning of life
Jan 8, 2006
In rehab
The bubble will burst if SKY ever pull the plug. Tho will need some knid of massive scandal, maybe widespread match-fixing or something, for that to happen.

With a recession around the corner and people cutting back on luxuries like sky football etc,it might happen.

Couldn't Be Hyypia

We've come a long long way together
NSC Patron
Nov 12, 2006
Near Dorchester, Dorset

Sky won't stop spending if people keep buying subscriptions - Prem funding paid for by Sky subscribers, not Sky. Algie's hypothesis may be correct.

Herr Tubthumper

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
The Fatherland
I cant say I'm bothered to be honest. Whilst I would like Brighton to get into the Premiership one day I will also be quite satisfied for us to have nothing more than relative success within the parameters of The Football League. Winning the Premiership is not the reason I watch Brighton.

Uncle C

Jul 6, 2004
Bishops Stortford

It has for me already.

Flavor Flav

Get those trousers off!
Jul 5, 2008
West Sussex
all the money spending has done is make it impossible for teams like us to get to the prem, even bolton spent 8 mill on a player few weeks back. it wouldnt surprise me if the best prem teams broke off for a super league soon

Mar 13, 2008
all the money spending has done is make it impossible for teams like us to get to the prem, even bolton spent 8 mill on a player few weeks back. it wouldnt surprise me if the best prem teams broke off for a super league soon
Bolton and west brom have both spent over £20million.

Man city have spent over 75million.

Insane amounts of money.

Hatterlovesbrighton

something clever
Jul 28, 2003
Not Luton! Thank God
Sky won't stop spending if people keep buying subscriptions - Prem funding paid for by Sky subscribers, not Sky. Algie's hypothesis may be correct.

Recessions are funny things though. It might mean that instead of going out lots more, more people will stay in and watch the tv. Despite the subscriptions its still a relatively cheap form of entertainment.

Over £100m was spend yesterday by Premier League clubs. It's absolutely crazy.

I'm surprised it's that 'small' an amount to be honest.

Man City and Manure between them spent £55 Million on 2 frigging players. That would build our stadium FFS.

I hope the Prem bubble will burst but watching the Manure fans gloating (in their usual way) about the signing of Berbatov, it isn't going to happen for a while. We're stuck with the greed and 'f*** you' attitude of the big monied clubs.

clapham_gull

Legacy Fan
Aug 20, 2003
With a recession around the corner and people cutting back on luxuries like sky football etc,it might happen.

Unfortunately it's a "global brand" now, with money coming in for Premiership television rights from all over the world.

I'm not sure how succesful individuals teams have been in raking in foreign cash, the league itself is number one in terms of cash flowing in.

Does anyone know the breakdown of domestic and overseas cash the league recieves.

It has for me already.

For me too.

What is the point of having a League where only a handful will EVER have a chance of winning the title and only a few will survive in it if they ever get there? It's football's version of the royal family-completely out of touch.

BensGrandad

Jul 13, 2003
Haywards Heath
Michel Platini as President of eufa wants to stop teams entering the EUFA Champions League if they are trading in the red year in year out. Which is aimed at the likes of Man U and Chelsea when Real Madrid are supported by Santander Bank (Abbey) and then write off the debts each years so they never show a loss over the year.

clapham_gull

Legacy Fan
Aug 20, 2003
For me too.

What is the point of having a League where only a handful will EVER have a chance of winning the title and only a few will survive in it if they ever get there? It's football's version of the royal family-completely out of touch.

It's only going to get worse.

I read a phrase in the newspaper the other day which pretty much summed it up

"Self Perpetuation Champions League Qualification"

Basically, you can only really afford to qualify the next year if you've qualified the previous.

Whilst the bigger claims may claim (as Chelsea did recently), that other clubs need to step up to the plate rather than criticising the success of the big four, the fact is that a system has emerged that allows a few clubs to have "self pertuating success", unless a Saudi Billionaire comes in.

Maybe the time has come for the 'elite' clubs to do what we know they're going to do anyway and that is to form their super league and let the rest of us get on with it.

They won't be missed.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here