Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

The Premiership - Dull or what?

Brovion

In my defence, I was left unsupervised.
NSC Patron
Jul 6, 2003
It's also worth noting that in the 15 years since 1992 (when the Premiership started) ELEVEN different teams have won the Superbowl, whereas only FOUR different teams have won the Premiership.

Also you can't say with any certainty who will be the top NFL team in five years time whereas you can almost gurantee the winner of the Premiership in five years time will be one of the Big Four.

Those Yanks sure know how to organise their sport to stop it from going stale.

Simster

"the man's an arse"
Jul 7, 2003
Surrey
Man of Harveys said:
Except when they haven't during that time, as I've pointed out. But why let the facts get in the way of a good "my country right or wrong" rant? :dunce: :jester:
It's not that sort oof rant at all. Let's look at the FACTS, eh:

1984/85 FC Bayern München
1985/86 FC Bayern München
1986/87 FC Bayern München
1987/88 SV Werder Bremen
1988/89 FC Bayern München
1989/90 FC Bayern München
1990/91 1. FC Kaiserslautern
1991/92 VfB Stuttgart
1992/93 SV Werder Bremen
1993/94 FC Bayern München
1994/95 Borussia Dortmund
1995/96 Borussia Dortmund
1996/97 FC Bayern München
1997/98 1. FC Kaiserslautern
1988/89 FC Bayern München
1999/00 FC Bayern München
2000/01 FC Bayern München
2001/02 Borussia Dortmund
2002/03 FC Bayern München
2003/04 SV Werder Bremen
2004/05 FC Bayern München
2005/06 FC Bayern München

Here are the winners in the past 22 seasons,
FC Bayern München 13
Borussia Dortmund 3
SV Werder Bremen 3
FC Kaiserslautern 2
VfB Stuttgart 1

And you're telling me that the Germans have got it so much more RIGHT than the English? Well those FACTS are hardly a ringing endorsement of the facts are they? :dunce: :jester:

In that time, England has had Man U, Arsenal, Chelsea, Liverpool, Leeds, Blackburn ALL winning it. And none of them has won it 13 times in that period.

So sorry, but I'm right and you're wrong. FACT. :clap2: :clap2: :clap2:

bhanutz

Aug 23, 2005
The Large One said:
Is very far from bollocks, principally because you've missed my main point.

The point I was making was about people being priced out of the market. You're talking - quite separately - about the class issue. Perhaps I was over-emphasising the 'class' thing but the main gist is still not bollocks.

The majority of people YOU know still go - fine. But do they represent the majority of people who go as a whole? Not necessarily. Many people from 20 years ago have stopped going (and the vast majority back then were from what was considered a 'working class' background), and those who have replaced them are not from the same demographic. These are the people who have seen football become more sanitised (some would say 'safer'), more family-oriented, more 'Americanised' if you like. The people you are talking about still go, but they are not part of the entire make-up of football crowds today.

Like it or lump it, and this is absolutely true, football crowds have changed in the past 20 years.

Also, your point about Premiership prices and Championship prices also misses the point - in fact, it is largely irrelevant to the argument here. What division a club is in may or may not dictate that individual club's pricing policy, but it is not indicative of their own fans' ability to pay.

Oy sonny!

I have come to realise that I dont think you understand your point entirely yourself. You seem to have an opinion about everything and dont really know an awful lot!

The Large One

Who's Next?
Jul 7, 2003
97.2FM
bhanutz said:
Oy sonny!

I have come to realise that I dont think you understand your point entirely yourself. You seem to have an opinion about everything and dont really know an awful lot!
Oh, I understand the point entirely - and clearly better than you think I do, which is your problem, not mine. So your realisation is somewhat flawed.

And I don't have an opinion on everything - if I did, I would contribute to every thread. But I don't, so don't be misrepresenting me, purely because you disagree with me.

Still, if you have such a low consideration regarding other people's opinions, do let us know what your counterpoint is. All you have said so far is your mates from 20 years ago still go. That's not much of an argument.

The floor is yours.

Last edited:

bhanutz

Aug 23, 2005
The Large One said:
Oh, I understand the point entirely - and clearly better than you think I do, which is your problem, not mine. So your realisation is somewhat flawed.

And I don't have an opinion on everything - if I did, I would contribute to every thread. But I don't, so don't be misrepresenting me, purely because you disagree with me.

Still, if you have such a low consideration regarding other people's opinions, do let us know what your counterpoint is. All you have said so far is your mates from 20 years ago still go. That's not much of an argument.

The floor is yours.

What is the point? you clearly do not even understand what you are saying yourself!

Lady Whistledown

NSC Patron
Jul 7, 2003
I can't quite put my finger on why, but I know I enjoy watching The Championship on ITV more than Match Of The Day these days. Perhaps because they don't have Andy Townsend on it.

MOTD seems to have turned into an Old Boys Network love-in, the interludes filled up with gratuitous in-jokes and unfunny banter between Shearer, Hansen, Lawrenson and Lineker.

There's just something more earthy about watching Norwich, Plymouth, Lincoln, Hull or Orient, than yet another Premiership whinge-at-the-ref-fest.

Simster

"the man's an arse"
Jul 7, 2003
Surrey
Andy Townsend was outed as a head spastic not so long ago. He branded Basque players not wanting to play for Spain as "pathetic" during the last WC.

"I think it's a bit more complicated than that, Andy" said Robbie Earle.

"No it ain't" said everyone's least favourite plastic paddy. The irony of this moronic Anglo Irishman failing to grasp the politics of a nationalist minority was surely not lost on anyone except the clueless cretin himself.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here