Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

The Premiership - Dull or what?

Pavilionaire

Jul 7, 2003
Am I alone in giving matches like Spurs v Man Utd a miss when a year or two ago I would have watched them?

The players of "The Big 4" almost without exception fall into one or more categories of Mercenary / Cheat / Twat / Chav and there is very little to endear the casual viewer to any particular one of those 4 sides.

This week Benitez says Everton are a little club, while Spurs lose to Arsenal reserves.

It is almost 40 years since Newcastle have won any sort of trophy, 30 years for Man City, 1 trophy in 16 years for Spurs and not much more for Villa. All proud clubs rendered impotent by simply missing the Premiership gravy train leaving the station.

All of the teams that come up from the Championship struggle and go back down, and if they don't in Year 1 they do in Year 2.

The rest of them - Boro, Fulham, Blackburn, Bolton are simply there to make up the numbers.

The League Cup Final is another Arsenal v Chelsea v Man Utd v Liverpool love-in, while the best the armchair punter can hope for is a plucky outsider a la Millwall / West Ham / Southampton makes the FA Cup Final for a frisson of interest.

People seem opposed to the idea of Celtic and Rangers coming into the Prem, but apart from that I fail to see how the competition can hope to sustain interest over time with such predictability.

And what does it all mean anyway, when most of the players are foreign, no loyalty exists except from the fans, grounds have been stripped of atmosphere and traditional derby rivalries are trivialised by mollycoddled players as "just another game"?

Last edited:

Rangdo

Registered Cider Drinker
Apr 21, 2004
Cider Country
Nope, you're certainly not alone. I haven't watched a single Premiership game this season and take pride in the fact that I haven't bothered to look at the Premiership table once.

I predict that the top end consists of Man Utd, Chelsea, Arsenal, Liverpool etc. and the bottom end of Wigan, West Ham, Sheff Utd etc. Am I wrong?

dougdeep

May 9, 2004
SUNNY SEAFORD
The prem has ruined English football and the England team.

chez

Johnny Byrne-The Greatest
Jul 5, 2003
Wherever The Mood Takes Me
I dont really bother with the premiership either. It's uninteresting to me, especially as Man Ure are top. The only point of watching the premiership is to see them lose - when they dont and are top then it loses its appeal. The 2 arsenal Spurs semi final games were quality though

B.M.F

Aug 2, 2003
wherever the money is
I have watched loads of prem footy this year and a lot of the games have been great. Quick aggresive and skillful unlike the stuff we have had to endure at Withers this year :(
Yes some players are only in it for themselves but then again that is probably the same in our division which is why we struggle to sign anyone.

D

Deleted member 2719

Nope i am with you it does not interest me at all.

Mind you i ain't got sky.

Shizuoka Dolphin

NSC M0DERATOR
Jul 8, 2003
N/A
On the contrary. I sold my Albion shirts and have bought a ten year old Chelsea shirt off e-bay so I can pretend I've been their fan for ages.:clap2:

Mr deez

Masterchef
Jan 13, 2005
Shizuoka Dolphin said:
On the contrary. I sold my Albion shirts and have bought a ten year old Chelsea shirt off e-bay so I can pretend I've been their fan for ages.:clap2:

Smooth move!

Gully

Monkey in a seagull suit.
Apr 24, 2004
Way out west
At least the games in the Premiership are better than the Champions league...I lost interest in that about 4 or 5 years ago.

In fact you can get more interesting games if you look down rather than up, the Conference provides some pretty decent entertainment, give it a try sometime.

Pavilionaire

Jul 7, 2003
The thing about the Premiership is that there is no connection anymore between the fans and the club.

Take Chelsea. For all their money and recent success they have a chairman who only watches them when they are winning and who hates the manager, who himself has fallen out with the Chief Scout (Arnesen) who left mid-contract from Spurs to triple his wages, recruited by Peter Kenyon who himself jumped ship from Man Utd to take the Abramovich shilling.

Good young English players like Glen Johnson, Carlton Cole, Wayne Bridge and Shaun Wright-Phillips rarely get a look-in, while Flop Lampard and Diving Drogba present the irritating playing face.

For all their "success" I'd still rather support a club that features homegrown players, who's chairman regularly faces the supporters via the Fans Forum and where there is still a feeling of accessibility.

Trigger

Jul 4, 2003
Brighton
This season has been the dullest since last season which in turn was the dullest since the season before, in fact it continually seems to get worse each year, can't say I've actually enjoyed a premiership season since the mid 90s...

Jul 5, 2003
Polegate
It may be boring overall, but after United performance today it is clear just why some consider it the best league in the world.

Breathtaking:bowdown:

Zesh Rehman

Sep 6, 2006
Oxford
Gully said:
At least the games in the Premiership are better than the Champions league

If theres an English team in the champions league later rounds then it becomes immense, Liverpool and Arsenal have had me gripped in the last 2 years. Carrying the flag for England :clap: i even nearly shed a tear when Arsenal lost, although thats not un usual.

SussexSpur

Jan 24, 2004
Finchley
The Carling Cup Final is quite depressingly illustrative, really. It's bad enough that the FA Cup hasn't been won by any team outside that current, established top-four since Everton in 1995.
But the Carling Cup, the supposedly Mickey Mouse trophy (yet it's still a trophy, right? And one of the top three domestic trophies available), has gone from being a cup previously won, lovelily, by the likes of Luton, Oxford, 'even finally Boro, and giving sides like Forest, Spurs and Villa at least encouraging-enough triumphs - now even that is being carved up between the usual suspects. The clubs who have come closest to breaking into that magical top-four since TV finances really soared into the stratosphere, are silly-spending Newcastle (who couldn't sustain it), and even-sillier-spending Leeds (who REALLY couldn't sustain it...)

As one of yer despised, despicable Premiership fans, I'm still enough of an enthusiastic simpleton to still enjoy (ensure I enjoy?) the whole experience of a day out at the football, with all that involves, and believe there are not only plenty of benefits and, yes, even comforts of the modern-day game that can be a little too easily forgotten in comparison to a vague "spirit" that's been lost somewhere, somehow. And still some great, exciting, above all compelling games.

But the hype does stick in the craw a little. And the fact that the ultimate height, indeed the beyond-a-dream-even ambition of some clubs such as Everton, Spurs, Villa, being to finish FOURTH, as some sort of alterna-title. Not that we've properly challenged for the League since, probably, 1985 (let alone won it, since 1961), but still, the presumption that it would take something extra-terrestrial for us to even think of winning it again... Well, what's the point of football if you don't have hope? And the direction in which football is ever-swiftly heading doesn't help hope, whether it's in the Premiership, or the narrowing vision of all non-Premiership clubs that they're somehow lacking something specially Premiership-ish...

I once found a journal my mum kept in the months after I was born, laughing to herself about how one night as a baby I just wouldn't stop screaming and sobbing all evening long... until she turned on Match Of The Day, and I instantly stopped at the sight of football. What she found more amusing, was that it was my dad's side, Bristol Rovers, being tonked 9-0.

Reading this, much later, I realised it was Spurs handing out the thrashing - a few years before I consciously started supporting the club, I was apparently responding instinctively to them anyway...

But now, thinking back, I realise not only was it Spurs who were winning 9-0. But that would have been a Second Division game.
Why, in the era of only a handful of highlighted games on Match Of The Day, were they devoting precious time to a Division Two game?
Whereas, as we now know, such stuff only exists for late-Thursday-night ITV round-ups, and the deeper-in pages of the Sunday pull-out supplements...

Too easily forgotten that you can go to the Premiership for the crowds, the stars, the fireworks... but any level, still, for the atmosphere, the feeling... (Not The Feeling, mind, though maybe that's an issue for the Attila thread...)

Oof. Too long, too confused, too boring.
Move along now...

withdeanwombat

Feb 17, 2005
Somersetshire
Why should Celtic and/or Rangers be invited on to the gravy train which has already left Spurs,Villa,Newcastle,Little Everton etc behind,and what difference other than relegating two ENGLISH clubs would it make?

Did anyone see Celtic today?Would they make it out (upwards) of the Championship?

Average fish.Falmer pond.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here