Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

The Power of Now

Uncle Spielberg

Jul 6, 2003
Lancing
By Eckhart Tolle.

Anyone read it and what do you think of his thoughts ?.

stevey-o

I am the walrus.
Mar 24, 2009
sadly not in Brighton
I haven't read it but I know a chap who has and he liked it. Can't enter a debate on it myself though.

If you like that kind of thing Psycho-cybernetics stuff by Maxwell Maltz is quite interesting. Not that similar but interesting on a self-improvement tangent. I'm quite a fan of psycho-cybernetics myself.

The whole "living in the present" that Tolle talks about is (I think, not having read Tolle) quite similar to some Buddhist writing that emphasises being totally aware of your surroundings at all times because spending too much time worrying or thinking about the past or worrying / planning for the future is to the detriment of the "now".

He who spends his whole time in the past or future never enjoys the present and therefore never enjoys life. Or something. I guess the trick is to live in the present without adopting a manana (or "I'll do it later") approach to the future.

One saying I read somewhere that I liked was that we become what we practice, so excellence is a habit from repetition. If we live in the now being what we want to be in the future then we will "become" that person in the present.

Hopefully our forwards are taking that philosophy on board and practicing scoring as I type. <-- had to get a football reference in somewhere.

Goldstone Rapper

Rediffusion PlayerofYear
Jan 19, 2009
BN3 7DE
Is it similar to the Werner Erhard / est stuff of the 1970s?

Uncle Spielberg

Jul 6, 2003
Lancing
stevey-o has nailed it. Its about living in the now. The problem I have is if you are worried that your business is so bad you may not pay your mortgage next month it is very difficult to live in the now and pretend the demand to pay will not be there. Its almost like living in a fantasy dream like state it seems to me. All very nice but I cannot do it.

Simster

"the man's an arse"
Jul 7, 2003
Surrey
stevey-o has nailed it. Its about living in the now. The problem I have is if you are worried that your business is so bad you may not pay your mortgage next month it is very difficult to live in the now and pretend the demand to pay will not be there. Its almost like living in a fantasy dream like state it seems to me. All very nice but I cannot do it.
I suspect Tolle would argue that you need to find other ways of bringing in money now, to alleviate the worry.

In all honesty, Gareth, I think you should be thinking along these lines. At the end of the day, if mortgage brokering becomes profitable once more, then you have the skills to take advantage when it happens. In the meantime, it seems you need to move onto something else.

I had a dreadful 2009, and I still earn less than I did a year ago - but I'm actually far happier even after going through that shit.

Uncle Spielberg

Jul 6, 2003
Lancing
Glad things are looking up for you. I am trying to find ways of bringing the money in but the only avenue I have not explored is selling my body or kidney, neither of which would have much of a market.

Simster

"the man's an arse"
Jul 7, 2003
Surrey
Glad things are looking up for you. I am trying to find ways of bringing the money in but the only avenue I have not explored is selling my body or kidney, neither of which would have much of a market.
What was the outcome of changing trade to plumber or electrician? Seriously, that is the direction I was thinking of going when I lost my job. You simply cannot get decent tradesmen in my area - the ones who are any good are booked up for months!

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here