• Yes

Votes: 118 18.0%
  • No

Votes: 401 61.1%
  • Fence

Votes: 137 20.9%

• Total voters

boik

Can't forget when he left he said if he wanted an easy life he would have stayed at Brighton, obviously didn't give us 100%, I trust in our recruitment that we won't go back.
I don't think you can blame Potter for the fact that you choose to misinterpret his words. Potter isn't my first choice, but you can bet he's gonna come good at some club soon. If that's here then bring it on. I'm not so sensitive that a few words are going to get in the way.

jonny.rainbow

Oct 29, 2005
another Potter quote taken out of context.

he was responding to a question regarding Chelsea's historical willingness to sack their manager after a minor run of poor form. He was asserting that at Brighton, Tony is less trigger happy and willing to let his manger ride out the rough patches without the threat of sacking.
No, it highlighted his belief that we should be content as a mid table team. His view of our ‘history’ further underpins that.

Brighton to him was an easy life because he didn’t need to deliver trophies, European football or even consecutive home victories to consider himself a success.

TottonSeagull

Mar 5, 2011
Totton (Nr Southampton)
1) yeah that’s an issue but he set up everything for RDZ
2) RDZ did exactly the same
3) Don’t care or understand xg nonsense
4) he didn’t though did he ?
5) he’s ambitious. Every other manager would have done the same, the coaching staff weren’t forced to go
6) taken out of context because you’re bitter

How about that ?
The Brummie shister didn't play your precious Jason (in fact promoted the 3rd choice keeper in front of him), so I guess he must have something about him 👍

Johnny RoastBeef

These aren't the players you're looking for.
Jan 11, 2016
No, it highlighted his belief that we should be content as a mid table team. His view of our ‘history’ further underpins that.

Brighton to him was an easy life because he didn’t need to deliver trophies, European football or even consecutive home victories to consider himself a success.

no, that's your interpretation.

The history comment was in response to a question about our fans booing him after a draw. It was his way of saying lets not be so entitled that we should expect to roll over a decent Leeds side managed by Bielsa.

Unfortunately for him, he misunderstood the reason for the booing, which was for his decision to bring on the useless Jurgen Locadia when we needed a goal, on the back of an 8 game winless streak.

jonny.rainbow

Oct 29, 2005
no, that's your interpretation.

The history comment was in response to a question about our fans booing him after a draw. It was his way of saying lets not be so entitled that we should expect to roll over a decent Leeds side managed by Bielsa.

Unfortunately for him, he misunderstood the reason for the booing, which was for his decision to bring on the useless Jurgen Locadia when we needed a goal, on the back of an 8 game winless streak.
No, it is Potter’s own words. Staying at Brighton would equate to an easy life. No interpretation necessary.

carteater

I think some people are overreacting to the possibility of this. Not inspiring choice but its not something to proclaim you're going to boycott games for.
My hot take is that if he had stayed in 22/23 we may well have still finished 6th. It had clicked at the end of the previous season and was looking good after that Leicester 5-2 match.

Not my first choice but we could do worse imho.
If we can as a fan base accept the return of Murray we could come around to the return of Potter.

B-right-on

Living the dream
Apr 23, 2015
Shoreham Beaaaach
He's spot on though

Thats a mnatter of opinon. Mine is that he is wrong and its like trying to argue with my 3 year old grandson, a waste of time. I'm sure he feels the same.

But appointing Potter would be very devisive as any new incoming manager wouldnt start with 2/3rd of the fans, by poll, already not wanting him to be here. Apart from Southgate and Hodgson, not sure how many other managers would have lost 2/3 of the fan base even before he's signed on the dotted line.

Its all academic until a new manager gets appointed anyway.

carteater

That being said. Murray was quite graceful and never really said anything spiteful or jibed at us.
I can see why people are angry about the idea of him (GP) coming back, the comments about us being a force if we had that Chelsea atmosphere all the time and having an easy life here pissed me off at the time as well.

Commander

NSC Patron
Apr 28, 2004
London
Absolutely agree. It was always blown out of proportion anyway and, looking at what he actually said, I don't see much wrong with it. For starters, he never said "the fans needs a history lesson", he said "maybe I need a history lesson". A subtle difference, but an important one that's been lost over the years:

"The fans are entitled to their opinions but I disagree with them. You have to understand the game, who we played and what we did. We are sitting eighth in the Premier League, but maybe I need a history lesson on the club. We continue to play with the same level of courage and bravery going forward but for today we have to take a point and the clean sheet."

It's a throwaway comment after a frustrating match. I don't think for one moment that people would still be banging on about it 4 years later.
People still bang on about Poyet’s “We have hit the ceiling” quote that was completely misquoted and he never actually said (and the premise of which was proved to be absolutely correct anyway).

I honestly think the Albion has has the most precious fanbase in the country. There are so many positives about our fanbase, but the so many people getting so upset about a throwaway comment part is embarrassing.

Last edited:

prawnsarnies

Jan 20, 2010
I don't think you can blame Potter for the fact that you choose to misinterpret his words. Potter isn't my first choice, but you can bet he's gonna come good at some club soon. If that's here then bring it on. I'm not so sensitive that a few words are going to get in the way.
No misinterpretation, it's what he said, he thinks it's an easy life. When life got harder he couldn't handle it, if TB wants to take us to next level Potter won't hack it.

I think some people are overreacting to the possibility of this. Not inspiring choice but its not something to proclaim you're going to boycott games for.
My hot take is that if he had stayed in 22/23 we may well have still finished 6th. It had clicked at the end of the previous season and was looking good after that Leicester 5-2 match.

If we can as a fan base accept the return of Murray we could come around to the return of Potter.
Certainly possible we could have finished 6th but we all noticed a greater emphasis on attack when RDZ came in - no more Mitoma at wing back etc so equally possible we wouldn't have finished as high up (but a good placing nonetheless). I neither love Potter nor hate him and would certainly live with him returning, so hopefully I'm looking at this in a fairly neutral way

Guinness Boy

Tofu eating wokerati
Helpful Moderator
NSC Patron
Jul 23, 2003
Up and Coming Sunny Portslade
Thats a mnatter of opinon. Mine is that he is wrong and its like trying to argue with my 3 year old grandson, a waste of time. I'm sure he feels the same.

But appointing Potter would be very devisive as any new incoming manager wouldnt start with 2/3rd of the fans, by poll, already not wanting him to be here. Apart from Southgate and Hodgson, not sure how many other managers would have lost 2/3 of the fan base even before he's signed on the dotted line.

Its all academic until a new manager gets appointed anyway.
This and the fact that if he does well he'll be straight off again. So the most we can hope for is treading water, some nice xG and a player or two sold for a profit unless we want to go through all this again in less than a year.

Meanwhile, Palace under Glasner.....

carteater

Certainly possible we could have finished 6th but we all noticed a greater emphasis on attack when RDZ came in - no more Mitoma at wing back etc so equally possible we wouldn't have finished as high up (but a good placing nonetheless). I neither love Potter nor hate him and would certainly live with him returning, so hopefully I'm looking at this in a fairly neutral way
Hopefully I'm looking at this in that way as well. I don't like how this board has yet again descended into bedwetters vs lickers again/ potter fanboys vs de zerbi fanboys.

carteater

This and the fact that if he does well he'll be straight off again. So the most we can hope for is treading water, some nice xG and a player or two sold for a profit unless we want to go through all this again in less than a year.

Meanwhile, Palace under Glasner.....
Glasner hasn't been there very long in the grand scheme of things.

I may be wrong but I think Potter turned down Spurs while with us? Give it a year or two where Glasner sustains this form and he'll be off imo.

nicko31

Jan 7, 2010
Gods country fortnightly

Yeap, we need to get over ourselves, we did with Glenn and he got Palace promoted

Gpot can bring a lot to this club

Nobby

Sep 29, 2007
Ok I'll bet
As long as it isn't if he takes over a Swedish pub team that is given millions more than any of the opposition to spend.
Because apart from that he's done absolutely nothing. Won nothing. And failed horribly at a big club, embarrassingly so.
What evidence do you have (apart from the Swedish Pub team), that you're gonna bet he's gonna come good at some club soon.

Mo Gosfield

Aug 11, 2010
That being said. Murray was quite graceful and never really said anything spiteful or jibed at us.
I can see why people are angry about the idea of him (GP) coming back, the comments about us being a force if we had that Chelsea atmosphere all the time and having an easy life here pissed me off at the time as well.
Big difference in how they both departed.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here