Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

The Pope - Still at it.

Tyrone Biggums

Jun 25, 2006
Geelong, Australia
It certainly is interesting to think what would happen if the people of Africa followed the Catholic teaching of keeping sex within marriage. Seems to be that would limit the spread of HIV better than any use of condoms.

What most pea brains don't get JA is that when the Pope talks about these things he is only reaching out to the Catholics within Africa.

The way people react they don't seen to be able to comprehend he's not expressing this to ALL of Africa, just his followers.

Juan Albion

Chicken Sniffer 3rd Class
What most pea brains don't get JA is that when the Pope talks about these things he is only reaching out to the Catholics within Africa.

The way people react they don't seen to be able to comprehend he's not expressing this to ALL of Africa, just his followers.

Actually I'm not surprised they don't get it, they likely don't get past the tabloid headlines.

What I don't get is this. They seem to think that the people are devout enough to keep the no-condoms bit but not devout enough to keep the sex-within-marriage bit.

Then, of course, they also have no idea of the fantastic things the Catholic (and other faith-based) organisations are doing in Africa (amongst other places). They talk of eliminating organized religion to save lives, although by doing so they would be condemning many, many people to death. Unless of course they want to greatly increase their charitable donations, and actually go out there and wipe up vomit, work with AIDS patients, the resultant orphans etc. And if they are willing to do that, what's holding them back?

Tyrone Biggums

Jun 25, 2006
Geelong, Australia
Actually I'm not surprised they don't get it, they likely don't get past the tabloid headlines.

What I don't get is this. They seem to think that the people are devout enough to keep the no-condoms bit but not devout enough to keep the sex-within-marriage bit.

Then, of course, they also have no idea of the fantastic things the Catholic (and other faith-based) organisations are doing in Africa (amongst other places). They talk of eliminating organized religion to save lives, although by doing so they would be condemning many, many people to death. Unless of course they want to greatly increase their charitable donations, and actually go out there and wipe up vomit, work with AIDS patients, the resultant orphans etc. And if they are willing to do that, what's holding them back?

In developing nations their faith is extremely strong and they do follow the teachings quite strictly. So something like abstinence can be adhered to with the context of African religious life.

The is not something though thats tenable within Western Society because we have different attitudes and priorities.

And you are correct, given that there's thousands upon thousands of nuns working in communities who are never even mentioned it's apparent bigoted agendas are at hand when some people make comment.

As the old saying goes, "good news doesn't sell".

Tyrone Biggums

Jun 25, 2006
Geelong, Australia
I never got that ad.

All I got was

Visa® - FIFA World Cup™
Watch A Socceroo Fan Undress, Dive & Swim While Shouting Goooal!
YouTube.com/AustraliaGoFans
Football Team News
News & Videos from your team Nike: Make the Difference
Nike.com/AU/Nike-Football
All About Sussex
All you ever wanted to know about Sussex: webcams, history and more
All About Sussex

I might go learn all I ever wanted to know about Sussex :D

Scampi

One of the Three
Jun 10, 2009
Denton
It certainly is interesting to think what would happen if the people of Africa followed the Catholic teaching of keeping sex within marriage. Seems to be that would limit the spread of HIV better than any use of condoms.

So it's their own fault because they're filthy sinners?

Dandyman

In London village.

Absolutely, they should be buggering little boys and laundering money like those nice people at the Vatican.

Tyrone Biggums

Jun 25, 2006
Geelong, Australia

Actually it's nations like yours fault for colonising them.

If they all still lived in their smaller self contained tribes the spread of the disease wouldn't be any where near what it has become.

Without transport like buses/cars remote areas remain that and dont have the introduction of things like AIDs from outside communities at the rate it has occurred.

Colonization has killed more people than any religion has.

Dandyman

In London village.

If they all still lived in their smaller self contained tribes the spread of the disease wouldn't be any where near what it has become.

Without transport like buses/cars remote areas remain that and dont have the introduction of things like AIDs from outside communities at the rate it has occurred.

Is n't there a line that goes when the whitemen arrived we had the land and they had the Bible, when we opened our eyes again they had the land and we had the Bible ?

Despite your earlier statement, the Pope's opposition to condoms does not just affect Roman Catholics (which would be appalling enough) it undermines and corrupts a far wider attempt to halt HIV/AIDS. Chastity campaigns, apart from being moralising shite, have been shown to have little to no effect on either preventing disease or unwanted pregnancies.

Scampi

One of the Three
Jun 10, 2009
Denton

:lolol: What a bizarre way of looking at things. It's those nasty Europeans fault. Africa would be so much bettter off without contact with the outside world the poor dears.

Tyrone Biggums

Jun 25, 2006
Geelong, Australia
Is n't there a line that goes when the whitemen arrived we had the land and they had the Bible, when we opened our eyes again they had the land and we had the Bible ?
The soldiers and the scientists always go in first.

You can only take land by the barrel of a gun for the greater part.

Despite your earlier statement, the Pope's opposition to condoms does not just affect Roman Catholics (which would be appalling enough) it undermines and corrupts a far wider attempt to halt HIV/AIDS. Chastity campaigns, apart from being moralising shite, have been shown to have little to no effect on either preventing disease or unwanted pregnancies.

My statement just reflects the words of a man who has been studying the AIDS epidemic in Africa and other poor nations around the world for over 30 years.

So you are incorrect about the bolded part.

The Scientists who has been collating information on this very subject have said as much.

In a case like this its not really relevant what you or I think, it's what this Dr's findings are showing that is the reality of the situation.

bhaexpress

Jul 7, 2003
Kent
Surely it can't be long before the world as a collective decides it will no longer tolerate this malevolent organisation to exist?
Even without their constant efforts to cover up child physical and sexual abuse there are the millions of pounds they pour into wilfully decieving Africans about AIDS prevention, and the millions of pounds they pour into supressing the rights of people simply because of their sexuality. These are clearly evil acts.

Way too many Catholics in the world. Biggest Christian religion in the World I think you'll find and abhorrent as it is it's still a very small minority. I say that as a relapsed Catholic and I have no time for them.

bhaexpress

Jul 7, 2003
Kent

Well we did colonise yours and that seems to be doing okay. I don't you'll find many Catholics in Africa anyway. They seem to more Islam.

bhaexpress

Jul 7, 2003
Kent
really? You've never mentioned it before.

That comment was for the benefit of people who thought I was supporting the Catholic church. I have no time for any religion. However I accept that their religion means so much to millions of people the World over.

Tyrone Biggums

Jun 25, 2006
Geelong, Australia
no way son.....australia is a thouroughly depraved and morally bankrupt
society, why only this morning i saw a young man furiously bonking a water-melon at the bus stop.

I actually agree with this even if you're joking.

Australia is going down the shitter for being a great place to live as compared to 20 years ago.

bhaexpress

Jul 7, 2003
Kent
Well we did colonise yours and that seems to be doing okay. /QUOTE]

no way son.....australia is a thouroughly depraved and morally bankrupt
society, why only this morning i saw a young man furiously bonking a water-melon at the bus stop.

Each to their own :lolol: But you don't have a problem with Aids do you ? It's there but it's not endemic is it ? Besides which I would say there are far more depraved nations in Europe not to mention America. I think it's pretty depraved the way Muslim countries suppress women for that matter.

sydney

tinky ****in winky
Jul 11, 2003
town full of eejits
I actually agree with this even if you're joking.

Australia is going down the shitter for being a great place to live as compared to 20 years ago.

i am amazed at how the youth of today interact to be honest violence , drugs, alcohol , and sex have always been on the menu but not to the extent that they are these days.....sound like an old fart now but the average male attitude towards females is abhorrent.......70%+ of teen males surveyed said it was ok to have sex against the other persons will even if they are unconscious.
WTF:eek:

Tyrone Biggums

Jun 25, 2006
Geelong, Australia
:lolol: What a bizarre way of looking at things. It's those nasty Europeans fault. Africa would be so much bettter off without contact with the outside world the poor dears.

It's far from bizarre.

One only has to look at the devastating effect the European arrival had on South America.

Europeans also brought diseases against which the indigenous peoples of the Americas had no immunity. Chicken pox and measles, though common and rarely life-threatening among Europeans, often proved fatal to the indigenous people, and more dangerous diseases such as smallpox were especially deadly to indigenous populations. Smallpox, typhus, influenza, diphtheria, measles, malaria, and other epidemics swept in after European contact, felling a large portion of the indigenous peoples of the Americas, causing one of the greater calamities in human history, comparable only to the Black Death.[3] In North America alone, at least 93 waves of epidemic disease swept through native populations between first contact and the early twentieth century.

Indigenous peoples of the Americas - New World Encyclopedia

So I think those people amongst the millions who died might think they weren't better off for the contact.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here