Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

The Pope is about to die

Yorkie

Sussex born and bred
Jul 5, 2003
dahn sarf
I'm not a Catholic but I do think he has been a good leader of that church.
He could have done more in changing the attitudes of some of the bishops and cardinals but then one man cannot do everything.
I read his autobiography about 10 years ago and he went through a lot during the war and the Communist times in Poland. He was imprisoned for a while. His faith has always been strong.
It was very significant that he was the first non Italian pope for over 400 years.

A blessed release for the poor old chap. Not religious myself but he has clearly been very ill for a long time.

One that that does make me sad is the number of people who will celebrate. Whatever your views on the Catholic church, surely celebrating someone dying can't be right?

Yorkie

Sussex born and bred
Jul 5, 2003
dahn sarf
You have to be registered to read it.

Dick Knights Mumm

Take me Home Falmer Road
Jul 5, 2003
Hither and Thither
a conservative leader who did little or nothing to address the major issues of his church or indeed the world. Unfortunately it appears he has set up succession to produce more of the same.

aftershavedave

Jul 9, 2003
as 10cc say, not in hove
Dick Knights Mum said:
a conservative leader who did little or nothing to address the major issues of his church or indeed the world. Unfortunately it appears he has set up succession to produce more of the same.

well said dkm

I have often wondered how much he is just a token figure rolled out for the tourists, whilst his so called aides keep this shallow figure alive.

What has he really done for the starving millions in Africa and Latin American, the majority of which are christians.

The RC Church did nothing to assist its people whilst right wing dictatorships supported by the USA (mainly Reagan), murdered, raped, kidnapped and led to literally 100,000's of disappearances across the Latin American continent.

Even when footage was released on El Salvadoran troops raping and killing a nun in the late 1970's the Pope did nothing.

A true leader of Christians? A person to be worshipped?. A guardian of values? I don't think so.

I think Jesus will be stirring in his grave.

LC

Starry

Captain Of The Crew
Oct 10, 2004
Stumpy Tim said:
Looks like the end for the man in white

Heart Problems

What does this mean to you?

Means a lot to my family and I. We just went to morning mass to pray for the Pope.

I wish him a peaceful passing, no matter when it is.

Tom Bombadil

Jul 14, 2003
Jibrovia
You can't really mourn a man who did so little for the millions of poor and needy who look to him for leadership.

harold robbins

Jul 5, 2003
Re: Re: The Pope is about to die

Starry said:
Means a lot to my family and I. We just went to morning mass to pray for the Pope.

I wish him a peaceful passing, no matter when it is.

Well said, as a Catholic I will very much miss this quite remarkable man who, whilst I disagree with him on some doctrinal matters, has been an inspirational head of our church

bhafc4eva

Nov 21, 2003
Hope he dies soon and all churches are burnt to the ground. He's a Celtic fan anyhow!

Cian

Jul 16, 2003
Dublin, Ireland
bhafc4eva said:
Hope he dies soon and all churches are burnt to the ground. He's a Celtic fan anyhow!

I think you'll find thats compulsary for anyone who's spent more than ten minutes inside a Catholic church in the west of Ireland, as he has...

Probably explains why I have as many if not more Celtic shirts than Albion ones, although the fact that they're also much cheaper helps....

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here