Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

The "Plastic Support" Argument

brightn'ove

cringe
Apr 12, 2011
London
Armchair fans are the blokes at work who spout off about what is happening in the Premier League and have supported a big six club for the last 20 years ever since they've been able to watch "their team" on Sky. Invariably they have never seen a live game home or away of their favourite side or even the local team.

Unfortunately, this seems to be the majority of football fans these days.

gripper stebson

Jul 27, 2004
Armchair fans are the blokes at work who spout off about what is happening in the Premier League and have supported a big six club for the last 20 years ever since they've been able to watch "their team" on Sky. Invariably they have never seen a live game home or away of their favourite side or even the local team.

This is what makes all the arguing between us an Palace fans on here and the BBS largely redundant in that we are fans who, in the main, go to watch a largely unsuccessful football teams!

Mowgli37

Enigmatic Asthmatic
Jan 13, 2013
Sheffield

Millions of the *******s about, two of my best friends are guilty of not going to see 'their team' and yet they talk as if they're experts. They even have the gall to refer to anything below the prem as non league :rant:

Harry Wilson's tackle

Harry Wilson's Tackle
NSC Patron
Oct 8, 2003
Faversham
One of my neighbours spent nearly 20 years ridiculing me because I support team who are 'not as successful' as 'his' team - Manchester United. On the one and only occasion he bothered to pop over to my more sensible neighbour's place to watch 'his' team in Europe on the box, he spouted utter drivel for 60 minutes - absolutely no idea what was going on, tactics, ebb and flow, you name it - clueless, and very loud with it. His most annoying habit was to constantly remind us about the one and only live ManUre game he'd been to which: the 1967 European Cup Final which, in his mind, made all the Brighton games I have attended (like GS more than 600) worthless and laughable. Unfortunately these types do occasionally go to games. You only need one like this for every 200 people around you to create misery and an overwhelming desire to kill. My blood's boiling just thinking about him. I'm not sure if anyone would call my neighbour 'armchair' or 'plastic'. My label for him was 'C***'.

I can only presume they are younger than me, as I allways think of BHA and Palace back in the 70s and 80s with roughly the same hardcore support, when we were doing poorly support dropped as it did for Brighton and vise a versa.

But I would hope a lot of it is just banter....and of course Major likes to stir it up a bit that does get a bit tiresome...but hay ho it a football forum.

Post WWII the Albion average more than Palace when sharing a division .

Buckley's Mad Eye

Oct 27, 2012
I'm not sure that teams like Crystal palace can have plastics. You'd need to be pretty committed to go to one of their games surely?

Matrix10

Jun 7, 2011
Bexhill
A Blue & White Plastic Fan

fan.jpg

:rolleyes:

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here