Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

The Pipettes

Garry Nelson's Left Foot

Jul 7, 2003
tokyo
house your seagull said:
radio 1 don't touch them so they're like an underground pop act.

Really?! Why not? What do they play on radio one nowadays if not pop? When I left England pop was pretty much all they played. Surely the Pipettes are perfect for radio? How could they not want to play such gloriously catchy and perfect pop music?

Tony Meolas Loan Spell

Slut Faced Whores
Jul 15, 2004
Vamanos Pest
Manufactured. Like the Monkees.

Saw them support the Subways at the concorde last year.

Nowt special IMO

Garry Nelson's Left Foot

Jul 7, 2003
tokyo
Tony Meolas Loan Spell said:

Saw them support the Subways at the concorde last year.

Nowt special IMO

They're a pop band though, it's not so important what they're like live. If the songs are good quality pop then surely it's better to play them on the radio rather than the shit pop that gets(or at least used to get) played on the radio at the mo.

Jul 5, 2003
Bristol
i've seen them a few times and i think they are great live- bit one trick pony but then most bands are.

they are cute as a button.

Les Biehn

GAME OVER
Aug 14, 2005
Basil Fawlty said:
pipettes.jpg

The one on the end (right) would get it.

Last edited:

crosbysleftear

Aug 18, 2006
Brighton

How so? All of them (apart from Gwenno) have known each other for years. Hardly manufactured unless you consider all bands who get together with an idea of what they want to do manufactured.

crosbysleftear said:
How so? All of them (apart from Gwenno) have known each other for years. Hardly manufactured unless you consider all bands who get together with an idea of what they want to do manufactured.

So that would be 2 of them that have known each other or years then I guess? And manufcatured would mean manufactured as a pop band, not as mates. I have no idea if they are or not btw.

Tony Meolas Loan Spell

Slut Faced Whores
Jul 15, 2004
Vamanos Pest
Didnt know what to do and are trying to fill a perceived 'gap' in the market.

That makes them manufactured in my book.

Wikipedia

The promoter, performer and guitarist Monster Bobby formed the group with the intention of reviving the traditional Phil Spector pop sound and giving it a modern twist. According to interviews, it was to this end that he recruited three frontwomen to be the public face of the group.[1] [2] An alternative report has it that the group was founded as an experiment in manufactured pop after founder member Julia Clark-Lowes had read Bill Drummond (and Jimmy Cauty)'s The Manual.[3] The male backing musicians (officially called "The Cassettes") rarely appear in interviews or promo photos, adding mystique and emphasising the role of the singers. The group settled on a lineup in mid 2004 and after losing founding member Julia in early 2005 have progressed apace.

Arthur

Jul 8, 2003
Buxted Harbour
They sound like the women off the Sheila's Wheels adverts.

Bizzarely though I don't mind it!?!

Oh and they'd all get it!

Last edited:

Buzzer

Languidly Clinical
Oct 1, 2006
Didnt know what to do and are trying to fill a perceived 'gap' in the market.

That makes them manufactured in my book.

Wikipedia

The promoter, performer and guitarist Monster Bobby formed the group with the intention of reviving the traditional Phil Spector pop sound and giving it a modern twist. According to interviews, it was to this end that he recruited three frontwomen to be the public face of the group.[1] [2] An alternative report has it that the group was founded as an experiment in manufactured pop after founder member Julia Clark-Lowes had read Bill Drummond (and Jimmy Cauty)'s The Manual.[3] The male backing musicians (officially called "The Cassettes") rarely appear in interviews or promo photos, adding mystique and emphasising the role of the singers. The group settled on a lineup in mid 2004 and after losing founding member Julia in early 2005 have progressed apace.

Nothing wrong with being manufactured as long as it isn't a tired old concept.

Monkees were rather good. Abba were formed solely for the Eurovision, I believe. Electronic were not exactly organic in their formation. Take That weren't too bad, neither were Bros. Kylie ditto.

It's when the concept is flogged to death that it becomes excruciating.

crosbysleftear

Aug 18, 2006
Brighton
Manufactured surely means recruited by a manager from all over the country using auditions and the like a la Take That or the Spice Girls?

As to the blurb on their website - Bobby talks a lot of crap. Him and Julia had an idea for a band and some songs, they talked it through with mates and got them involved. Yes they had a specific sound in mind but all bands do. Maybe they were a bit more deliberate in their approach then a lot of bands but that still wouldn't make them fit my description of manufactured.

medicine man

Jan 22, 2004
by the sea
i'm positive they supported Death in Vegas years ago, one of them was Richard Fearless' girlfriend, or some such. They were less Spector and more punk then. Can anyone confirm this? I've trailed the internet, but I assume it's an incarnation that whoever is a remaining member(s) would like to forget. They were crap. Anyone who likes The Pippettes should try the Joe Meek girl band stuff- class. :thumbsup:

Icy Gull

Back on the rollercoaster
Jul 5, 2003
Are they related to Gladys Knight's backing singers the Pips ? :)

MOA001_Gladys_KNIGHT_&_Th_P.jpg

Last edited:

Kenhead

Oct 1, 2003
Brighton
house your seagull said:
they're all welsh, signed to brighton label memphis industries, thus the brighton link.

Ah that would explain alot, there was something on channel 4 when i got in from donny. Thought they didn't sound local! Did confuse me for abit

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here