Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

The Phenomenology of Spirit

manilaseagull

Used to be Swindonseagull
I am doing Philosophy in the evenings and I have been tasked to write a paper on The Phenomenology of Spirit, anyone ever done it or know what they are talking about.

I have tried the normal sources such as Wikipedia but I am still stuck.

Any Philosophers out there?

coventrygull

the right one
Jun 3, 2004
Bridlington Yorkshire
Wish I could help you. Isn't it something to do with direct experience? That they don't believe in the unhidden? You need to give us something to go on.

Tony Meolas Loan Spell

Slut Faced Whores
Jul 15, 2004
Vamanos Pest
Best bit of philosophy I know is: Man with hole in pocket feel cocky all day.

Hope this helps.

Mellotron

I've asked for soup
Jul 2, 2008
Brighton
"Have a good time, all of the time" - Viv Savage, Keyboard player in Spinal Tap.

Aristotle

Mar 18, 2008
Edinburgh
A few thoughts that may help.

First, a word of warning: interpretation of the question will depend to a large degree on the type of philosophy you're studying. Here, a very broad (and not very good) distinction might be made between Analytic and Continental philosophy.

Second, the Stanford Encyclopaedia of Philosopy is a great resource. The entry on Phenomenology would be a good start, and also give you a background to the issue above:http://plato.stanford.edu/entries/phenomenology/

Also, here is an entry on the Phenomenology of Religion, which may help: http://plato.stanford.edu/entries/phenomenology-religion/

Hope that helps; you can browse the SEP a bit more yourself. Without much more context it's quite a difficult question to answer.

Google would suggest that your focus should be Hegel's book of the same title!

xenophon

speed of life
Jul 11, 2009
BR8
Surely they didn't ask you to write a paper like that out of the blue? What philosophical subject are you studying at the minute - Epistemology? Ethics? Political philosophy? Philosophy of mind? Metaphysics? Or is it about Hegel's book of the same name?

If it is then that's a hell of a broad swathe of subject matter to write one paper on, Hegel covers pretty much all of those subjects I mentioned above in this one book. It would be madness to attempt to write about them all with any sound understanding and argument.

The Phenomenology of Spirit is one very turgid philosophical work by a philosopher renowned for his obscure, almost inpenetrable writing.

I think you need to clarify with whoever set this assignmennt what exactly they expect from you.

Good luck, if you get any joy and want any help send me a private message.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here