Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

The people who sang the real words to Sussex By The Sea

Ninja Elephant

Doctor Elephant
Feb 16, 2009
:thumbsup:

Well paced, right words and there seemed about a dozen or so getting involved. I started my own chorus a bit further along, and was congratulated for knowing the words. Work to be done, but it's an encouraging start.

British Grenadier

I hate P*rtsm**th
Jan 15, 2012
Hanover
Where? At Donny?

I think a few people are starting to learn the words - perhaps they should be part of the programme.

Ninja Elephant

Doctor Elephant
Feb 16, 2009
Sorry, yes it was at Doncaster. And it was probably the same Gents who kicked it off at Leeds too. [MENTION=1320]Notters[/MENTION], was it you this time aswell?

I think it will get there, but it will need a broader event to kick it off and I don't see it working without the use of the screens. None of us overly want that I don't think, the brilliant video suggested a while back aside, I think it has to happen if we want people to know the words.

Lewesian Seagull

Jul 13, 2003
Lewes
Agreed.
Just to the right of us at Donny, I thought it sounded excellent, hopefully people will take it on board and it will start to catch on.

British Grenadier

I hate P*rtsm**th
Jan 15, 2012
Hanover
Sorry, yes it was at Doncaster. And it was probably the same Gents who kicked it off at Leeds too. [MENTION=1320]Notters[/MENTION], was it you this time aswell?

I think it will get there, but it will need a broader event to kick it off and I don't see it working without the use of the screens. None of us overly want that I don't think, the brilliant video suggested a while back aside, I think it has to happen if we want people to know the words.

Hence my reference to the programme ;) (plus you can take it home with you and learn the words / get them tatooed somewhere).

It's the only song we have that NO OTHER CLUB can or will ever sing, we should take the time to sing it properly.

Jan 19, 2009
Worthing
Always try to do it at the front of the WSU.

Apart from 5 of us, no one else seems interested, or for that matter, singing at all.

British Grenadier

I hate P*rtsm**th
Jan 15, 2012
Hanover

HawkTheSeagull

Jan 31, 2012
Eastbourne
Was good to hear it properly, but just to level it up - at Kick Off the shorter version was sung, and went off at about 100mph and most gave up at the end as it went too fast.

Gilliver's Travels

Peripatetic
Jul 5, 2003
Brighton Marina Village
Ok, we need to get people (myself included) to learn the words to our own song - I found them here: Sussex By the Sea - The Sussex County's Unofficial Anthem.
But those aren't the 'proper' words. There are in fact FIVE verses, not three.

And another thing. It's too hard for fans singing along with the Amex run-out track, simply because the key is pitched too high for most voices. They're okay for the first two lines, then find themselves screeching and give up - until everyone joins in again, with the single 'Good old Sussex by the Sea' chorus.

Be easy enough for the club to re-pitch the band track in a lower key...

Last edited:

Southwick_Seagull

Oct 8, 2008
Always start singing the words but then get drowned out by the clapping thats at least 5/6 seconds in front of the actual tune.

I'm not one to be a song snob or have a go at people attempting to make a noise which some on here are but its such a wasted opportunity. It's OUR song and it could sound bloody brilliant if people could sing at least 1 of the verses, slowed it down a bit and cut out the clapping which speeds everyone up.

It's really not that hard either. If Leeds/Liverpool/Stoke can manage it i'm sure we can.

Notters

Oct 20, 2003
Guiseley

I was one of them, yes. :)

jackcgull

Feb 1, 2008
Amersham
looking at those lyrics - verse 2 and chorus is all we would ever need anyway - i'm gonna learn them by wednesday and freak out the squares in WSU ooh yeah

Vegas Seagull

Jul 10, 2009
But those aren't the 'proper' words. There are in fact FIVE verses, not three.

And another thing. It's too hard for fans singing along with the Amex run-out track, simply because the key is pitched too high for most voices. They're okay for the first two lines, then find themselves screeching and give up - until everyone joins in again, with the single 'Good old Sussex by the Sea' chorus.

Be easy enough for the club to re-pitch the band track in a lower key...

Wrong. they are 'proper' just abridged & only the 1st two verses will ever be needed in reality

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here