Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Albion] The origins of "Youuuuuuuure s*** aahhhhh"

Taybha

Whalewhine
Oct 8, 2008
Uwantsumorwat
Were they also using the air raid siren?

Blimey i'd forgotten that thing , from corners i think so yes , i do know the score was Desmond and it was definitely the late 70s in the old division 3 , so it goes back quite a few years as far as i can remember that was the very first time i'd heard it , it may have been sung somewhere else before but not heard by me and i was a home and away yoof back then .

Lenny Rider

Sep 15, 2010
Could well have been. My strongest memory of that time/nature is when Peter Shilton came, and the North Stand chanted Tina Tina Tina at him the whole game.

"Shilton was arrested for drink-driving after being found at 5am in a country lane with a woman called Tina in his car. When Tina's husband Colin arrived he said the pair were partially clothed. Shilton hurriedly drove away and crashed into a lamppost. He admitted 'taking a lady for a meal' and was fined £350 and banned from driving for 15 months."

This was October 1980 and Forest played us the following Saturday, he said in his autobiography that the chanting at the Goldstone was the worst he'd encountered, that would probably have been the chorus of "Did you know she had V.D?"

Brovion

In my defence, I was left unsupervised.
NSC Patron
Jul 6, 2003
Pretty sure it was around in the 70s.

Yeah I was going to say that. I'm 99.99% certain it was around well before the 80s. And as someone else has pointed out it wasn't ours. It was one of those generic chants that start somewhere and get picked up by other clubs.

But yeah, still makes me smile! #immaturechild

Eeyore

Colonel Hee-Haw of Queen's Park
NSC Patron
Apr 5, 2014
If i recall,it was a 0-0 draw albeit an entertaining one !

And Burridge was outstanding that night.

One of the best matches I've seen at the old place.

Stat Brother

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
West west west Sussex
The incredibly high pitched but muffled swearing version from the South Stand was always amusing.

atfc village

Mar 28, 2013
Lower Bourne .Farnham
First heard it 3rd Jan 1987 Man City v Oxford . How can i be sure of the date? 4th Division Aldershot knocked 1st Division Oxford out The FA Cup a week later. Our game at Rochdale had been called off and City v Oxford was the nearest game.

catfish

North Stand Brighton Boy
Dec 17, 2010
Worthing
I was in the North that night and remember it well. I can also remember John Vinnicombe being horrified by the language and giving us a good old
telling off in his match report the following day.

The Wookiee

Back From The Dead
Nov 10, 2003
Worthing
This was October 1980 and Forest played us the following Saturday, he said in his autobiography that the chanting at the Goldstone was the worst he'd encountered, that would probably have been the chorus of "Did you know she had V.D?"

I thought it was the FA cup quarter final 1986 v Southampton at the Goldstone ?

Sheebo

Jul 13, 2003
So.. can we confirm that we actually invented this ‘chant’ funny thing that many other clubs now sing?

Also did we invent build a bonfire?

Guy Fawkes

The voice of treason
Sep 29, 2007
So.. can we confirm that we actually invented this ‘chant’ funny thing that many other clubs now sing?

Also did we invent build a bonfire?

A mate of mine used to go to Lewes games (but they didn't start going there until after we had started to sing it at our games) and he said that it originated with Lewes FC - Don't know if it's true or not, but they are not the most reliable of people when it comes to facts.

Harry Wilson's tackle

Harry Wilson's Tackle
NSC Patron
Oct 8, 2003
Faversham
I think you're right. Did it develop from or replace, the 'whoa, shit, boing' with 'boing' being shouted with each header afterwards?

Could be, could be.

I don't know.

Our Lenny should perhaps undertake further investiations ???

perseus

Broad Blue & White stripe
Jul 5, 2003
Sūþseaxna
Dog shit aaaarrgh was well known in park football in the sixties.

Could well have been. My strongest memory of that time/nature is when Peter Shilton came, and the North Stand chanted Tina Tina Tina at him the whole game.

"Shilton was arrested for drink-driving after being found at 5am in a country lane with a woman called Tina in his car. When Tina's husband Colin arrived he said the pair were partially clothed. Shilton hurriedly drove away and crashed into a lamppost. He admitted 'taking a lady for a meal' and was fined £350 and banned from driving for 15 months."
Same thing happened at a Notts FA Professional Cup tie v. Mansfield at the City Ground that I remember, and no doubt many other venues too!

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here