Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

The only downside is .....

Bwian

Kiss my (_!_)
Jul 14, 2003
Let's not forget "The Tony Bloom Factor" in all of this.

He gave Gus the job that Gus applied for-we didn't approach him. Once hired and he showed what he was capable of, Tony Bloom handed him almost total control of the club-even down to pitch size at The Amex. He will not get that from a Prem club until he has proven himself over a couple of years (I hope).

Gus is clearly a smart and ambitious man who knows that he has an opportunity to establish a great reputation for himself with us. He is well on the way to doing that but he appears to be an honourable man and I think the relationship he has with Tony Bloom shouldn't be underestimated.

SeagullEd

Jan 18, 2008
None of us know.

So many people on here state speculation and, ultimately, what they hope to happen, as fact... e.g. 'Gus always gets what/who he wants'.

At the end of the day, none of us know. At all. None of us know exactly what he has said to Tony, none of us know Gus's contacts and ambitions and none of us know where he and Tony truly see the Albion going.

Don't forget, as we've see numerous times, Gus and tony seem to be fairly careful about what information they put out in the public eye - people of cite Tony's poker skills as the basis for these tactics - e.g. the whole ' yeah, pretty happy with squad but we'll keep trying but probably till deadline day or something' and then bam. we seem set to sign Harley and negotiations have clearly been going on.

We, ultimately, are still a selling club. Hence Benno. Almost everyone in this division is. Not saying we'd sell Gus, but we can't expect him to stay if top-10 prem comes knocking.

People say 'he's got a project etc' but we by no means have the most money and there are other projects... e.g. imagine if QPR were taken over towards beginning of summer with massive backing... truly a project there.

As a last point: this division is going to be a hell of a lot harder to get out of than we think. I don't think we will go up this season, and if we are struggling to next season ... What i'm trying to say is that we obviously think the world of BHA at the moment - we're the supporters who have had some of the hardest times recently. But we're not the only exciting opportunity.

Cheeky Monkey

Jul 17, 2003
My main worry was Harry leaving Spurs due to the Modric business but I don't think he will now.

Paul Lambert wasn't head-hunted by Premiership clubs after back-to-back promotions, likewise Brendan Rogers who got an attractive footballing side promoted to the Prem. Historically very few Premiership managers are ever poached from Championship clubs, at least not by top Premiership sides anyway.

Monkey Man

Your support is not that great
Jan 30, 2005
Neither here nor there
I suspect Tony Bloom has sufficiently incentivised Gus financially to keep him interested, even if a Prem club of average resources came calling. I have a feeling he wouldn't let us be outbid, in salary terms, by the likes of Fulham, Blackburn, or WBA. If Chelsea or Liverpool came knocking, it would be a different story.
If the club shares Gus's ambitions, we can be competitive in the transfer market and maintain our progress up the leagues, I think Gus will stick around for a while. Like all good managers he'll be tempted by offers, and one day he's bound to leave - perhaps when we've reached a natural ceiling of mid-table Premiership.
The only difference with Gus is that this has very much been his project. It's not like he's walked into a successful club and maintained momentum. In many ways what we're watching now is a new club altogether, built on the foundations of Gus and Tony Bloom's ambitions. It may make it harder for Gus to walk away.

Arthritic Toe

Nov 25, 2005
Swindon
Of course he will eventually go to a top premiership club, but he hasnt yet got the track record required. That will come as and when he takes us into the premiership, and maybe a season beyond that. If he left tomorrow, he would already be a legend here, but I think we're pretty safe for the next couple of seasons at least.

bigjon

Oct 12, 2003
gus will go one day, and good luck to him when he does, lets just enjoy it while we can. for what its worth, my view is... capello plans to leave after next years euro's, and harry's favourite to take over, which leaves spurs managerless.

HastingsSeagull

Jan 13, 2010
BGC Manila
If the Gus bus stalls (say as a top 10 champ team or repeatedly failing in the play-offs) and isn't making progress then he might walk and go to a mid prem team (who'd still want him I'm sure if he timed it right) but that's years down the line. Otherwise yeah think would take top 6. Would he go to Villa or Everton? Not sure maybe tempted but otherwise only the 6 biggest kids on the block.

Smythe

Oct 8, 2008
Brightonian in Manchester
My main worry was Harry leaving Spurs due to the Modric business but I don't think he will now.

Paul Lambert wasn't head-hunted by Premiership clubs after back-to-back promotions, likewise Brendan Rogers who got an attractive footballing side promoted to the Prem. Historically very few Premiership managers are ever poached from Championship clubs, at least not by top Premiership sides anyway.

Agree with this about Lambert and Rogers......only difference is Poyet is bigger name with a better premiership pedigree as a player, as mentioned though it does look like Gus is planning a long term project now it seems he's having total control over his staff......would love him to see out his 4 year contract at least!!

bellsize seagull

Mar 1, 2004
north london
the way he talks and speaks of the club/players/fans is someone very uninterested in leaving.
why would you ? club on a very big upward curve and he is central to that !

TS90

Jan 26, 2011
If Redknapp takes the England job in the summer and Brighton have somehow been promoted, I think you might see Levy go cap in hand to Poyet and offer him the job. Maybe.

southern_sid

Banned
Aug 5, 2011
If Redknapp takes the England job in the summer and Brighton have somehow been promoted, I think you might see Levy go cap in hand to Poyet and offer him the job. Maybe.

Redknapp has a huge court case in the summer, could go down.

bristolseagull

Jul 5, 2003
Lindfield

Waynflete

Nov 10, 2009

Is it just me that thinks that if by some miracle we get promoted, it will make Gus much LESS likely to leave, at least in the short term?

I know he still has to prove himself to be attractive to a Prem side, but if he takes us to the top half of the Championship one or two of them would be interested.

If he actually takes us up, though, I can't believe he'd walk out when he has the chance to manage in the Premier League with a team he's created himself.

The only exception would be if one of the 'big six' came calling, imo.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here