Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

The Olympic Volunteers

fly high

Aug 25, 2011
in a house
Sorry. There are a lot of volunteers, of course, but there are also thousands of paid employees of the games (the slightly cringesomely named "Gamesmakers"), who I seem to recall are on a pro rata rate of about £25k for their efforts over the past few weeks.

Just because someone is sat there in a games uniform doesn't mean they're a volunteer. And those who did volunteer, presumably did so because they wanted to be part of it.

Don't get me wrong, I'm not saying its not nice that they're smiling at people, just that...frankly...why on earth WOULDN'T they? It seems like a fun exercise to me.

might seem like cushty fun for a copper but when you're maybe not used to being on your feet all day being nice & smiley to everyone maybe not such fun. Even if some of them are being paid it's not exactly a fortune, after tax & national insurance less than £350 a week, bet you get paid a lot more than that. Go to other events & the paid helpers/stewards are often miserable gits & they are getting paid. Put the cynic away & just rejoice that Britain has got plenty of nice people.

Gazwag

5 millionth post poster
Mar 4, 2004
Bexhill-on-Sea
On Sunday morning I was listening to the radio and they were talking about one volunteer gamesmaker who is part of the competitors medical team at the boxing. He is an Intensive Care consultant at one of the London Hospitals. He was on duty on 7/7 and dealt with many of the dying and injured that day and has found that doing this has been closure, one day after we won the games he saw the worst of human nature and now he feels he is seeing the best.

The volunteers are Gamesmakers, too.

Indeed, that's what my mates wife is, a "Gamesmaker" and she hasn't been paid a bloody thing, not that she wanted to be, just to be able to say she was part of London 2012.

Good luck to her, I'm buggered if I would do it.

Lady Whistledown

NSC Patron
Jul 7, 2003
might seem like cushty fun for a copper but when you're maybe not used to being on your feet all day being nice & smiley to everyone maybe not such fun. Even if some of them are being paid it's not exactly a fortune, after tax & national insurance less than £350 a week, bet you get paid a lot more than that. Go to other events & the paid helpers/stewards are often miserable gits & they are getting paid. Put the cynic away & just rejoice that Britain has got plenty of nice people.

I am rejoicing in that.

My only point is why anyone would be surprised that they are happy & smiling. It's a great event and they want to be there, so yes, they're going to be enjoying it. Good luck to them.

Wardy

NSC's Benefits Guru
Oct 9, 2003
In front of the PC
I think anyone who thought that London 2012 was going to be a failure is either hiding away or eating humble pie. London and all the other venues have done an amazing job. Does it matter if they are paid or not? All the visitors are going to remember is that they were treated with respect, staff were friendly and helpful and most importantly they had a good time.

I think I read somewhere that London was the most visited capital city in the world, given the TV coverage over the last 2 weeks and word of mouth reports from those visiting the games either as a spectator or participant, I expect London to attract even more visitors.

As a nation we can be proud.

Bwian

Kiss my (_!_)
Jul 14, 2003
Of course they're smiling. They're getting paid to hang around the world's greatest sporting event (which they applied to do). What could they possibly have to be miserable about?

They're not Plod.

ATFC Seagull

Aberystwyth Town FC
Jul 27, 2004
(North) Portslade
My mate who's a volunteer got to see the opening ceremony and the 100m men's final...

Conversely, my mate who's a volunteer has spent most his days outside Wembley Park tube station directing people to the stadium! Don't *think* he's seen an event yet.

D

Deleted member 18477

Conversely, my mate who's a volunteer has spent most his days outside Wembley Park tube station directing people to the stadium! Don't *think* he's seen an event yet.

Blimey! The mate I know does work for a major telecommunications sponsor which may be why...

Lankyseagull

One Step Beyond
Jul 25, 2006
The Field of Uck
My other half is a volunteer GamesMaker in the Olympic Park 'Common Domain' (i.e. no access to any of the venues, just the park). As other have said, she doesn't get paid - the only perks are a Zone 1-9 TravelCard and food in the staff rest areas. Her early shifts have started at 7:00am which has meant getting a 5:30am train from H. Heath. Late shifts have seen me picking her up at 1:00am.

She's abolutely knackered, but loving what she has been part of and sees it as a fantastic once in a lifetime experience. She's met athletes, held & been photographed with medals, interviewed by foreign media and been asked to have photographs taken with tourists who have been complimentary about her helpfulness and nature.

Apparently it is the paid GamesMakers (stewards) who wear black trousers (volunteers wear beige) who have been miserable, but then again, we all know how miserable some stewards can be at football grounds.

User removed 4

May 9, 2008
Haywards Heath
I think anyone who thought that London 2012 was going to be a failure is either hiding away or eating humble pie. London and all the other venues have done an amazing job. Does it matter if they are paid or not? All the visitors are going to remember is that they were treated with respect, staff were friendly and helpful and most importantly they had a good time.

I think I read somewhere that London was the most visited capital city in the world, given the TV coverage over the last 2 weeks and word of mouth reports from those visiting the games either as a spectator or participant, I expect London to attract even more visitors.

As a nation we can be proud.
i was worried it was going to be , so glad it hasnt been, domt want to tempt fate though !

A few people I know are GM's and they have worked very hard but have all enjoyed the experience and some are going back for the Para's.

In the week I was at the Basketball and chatting to a very nice Canadian young lady from Vancouver who had volunteered at their winter Olympics and wanted to be part of London 2012. It cost her a lot of money but it was a unique experience and something she will always treasure.

There's more to life than money.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here