Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

The Olympic flame came to my town today

Brilliant. It comes to my town on the 17th July and I'm even wheeling out my old dad for the occasion. If it's half as good as your experience, I shall be chuffed. :clap:

And mine same day - right by the Young Pottings school as well.

bomber130

bomber130
Jun 10, 2011
Not to be to controvertial but I can't really see what all the fuss is about. Surely a flame is a flame I can get 5 on the go on my cooker surely thats more impressive than waiting in the pissing rain to see just one flame on a torch.:bigwave:

Beach Hut

Brighton Bhuna Boy
Jul 5, 2003
Living In a Box
Going to watch the Olympic flame arriving at the cricket ground on the 16th and looking forward to it.

Bevendean Hillbilly

Sep 4, 2006
Nestling in green nowhere
40 wives???? I thought it was 7 (and only the narrator was going to St Ives). Stranger things have happened in the Fens I'm told by locals further south. :)

In the fens all seven or forty or whatever would be his siblings anyway so it's really just semantics. Any road enjoy!

Dec 16, 2010
Over there
Not to be to controvertial but I can't really see what all the fuss is about. Surely a flame is a flame I can get 5 on the go on my cooker surely thats more impressive than waiting in the pissing rain to see just one flame on a torch.:bigwave:

Fair play fella I take your point, but it's not really just about the flame. It's about emotion, about the crowds about the once in a lifetime experience. I'm not a massive fan of my adopted town Southend, but they laid on a bloody good show. And it genuinely was a tear jerking moment when the flame came in on the seafront, the crowd erupted and the massive choir struck up with the new olympic song.

libra-gully

Jan 26, 2011
I have the honour/privilege of being one of the Torch carriers next week.

I'll give you all a wave as I go by.

Westdene Wonder

Aug 3, 2010
Brighton
I am pleased to note that their are others that can not see the attraction of watching a flame, I enjoy most sports but no interest in the flame or the opening and closing events.

jemwillett

Feb 17, 2012
Burgess Hill
Great build up in Cambridge and Parker's Piece was busy but like a sodden Glastonbury field. Just missed Iwan Thomas with the torch due to littl'un struggling to stay awake but the flame is here! As for getting up to see the flame around Trinity College then punted on the Cam at 6.45? Not so sure for me.

I watched the torch come thru Haverhill, carried by our friends daughter. Was brilliant. We went to cambridge for the evening and she took the torch and was mobbed by the crowds, taking photo's etc. The enthusiasm and happiness f the crowds was brilliant. Was a bit cynical myself about the whole thing but was done brilliantly. I would recommend getting out and seeing it.

Wardy

NSC's Benefits Guru
Oct 9, 2003
In front of the PC
Looking forward to seeing it. Taken the day off work to take the kids (it is in Eastbourne after school is finished). Though they are only 4 and 5, they are also looking forward to it. My 5 year old is making me make his own torch to carry. I think it is one of those things you need to go and see. Very much doubt I will live to see it again in this country.

countryman

Jun 28, 2011
Don't get me started on the celebs/corporate that have hi-jacked there way in. I have more time for this guy than any of them. http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-18594300

That bloke is amazing. That is what this relay should be about. In my opinion, everyone who runs should deserve it. Celebrities like William (I refuse to put those stupid full stops in his name) don't deserve it. What has he done that has been so spectacular? He managed to annoy people by saying the word "dope" over and over again on The Voice. He didn't even use the word in the correct context.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here