Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

The Olympic flame came to my town today

Dec 16, 2010
Over there
ImageUploadedByTapatalk1341612610.048847.jpg

And it was bloody brilliant. I now live in Southend-on-sea and myself, kids, wife and inlaws walked the whole torch route to the seafront. The crowds were massive and the excitement was palpable. Whole schools, and every generation of families were lining the route. The high street was packed out with people waving the union flag, despite the rain everyone had a smile on their face. The torch came down, a choir of possibly a thousand struck up
ImageUploadedByTapatalk1341613367.402415.jpg

And the flame came past us again, to much cheering and fanfare. It bought a shiver to my spine as I told my 2 little ones that this was a once in a lifetime experience. Even my farther in law, a hardcore cynic was moved.
So to all the Olympic haters, to the people moaning and taking the piss that this country will make a Prat of itself with the world watching, I say this.
I know it cost shit loads in our troubled economic times, but it's a once in a lifetime experience that will unite our country. Hope you enjoy it back in Brighton on the 16th as much as I did today.
ImageUploadedByTapatalk1341614228.877354.jpg

elbowpatches

Jul 7, 2003
Cambridge
In Cambridge today and St Ives tomorrow morning so might go down there.

Had the torch from 2012 and from 1948 in the classroom yesterday so the children are very excited.

Once in a lifetime, enjoy it!

Leekbrookgull

Jul 14, 2005
Leek
Can't say the same. Iwas going to watch it recently anywhere between Crewe,Congleton and Macclesfield i checked with Cheshire Police the route and i know it well advice avoid town centres but once on the open road you will be fine. Not so reached the edge of Crewe into the back of a van to be driven to the outskirts of Congleton and repeated thereafter. Surely a relay is continueous ? Don't get me started on the celebs/corporate that have hi-jacked there way in. I have more time for this guy than any of them. http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-18594300

Nibble

Jan 3, 2007
Don't you have to have a ticket to see it in Brighton. What a joke.

Nibble

Jan 3, 2007
Ah good! Tha Argus made out that you had to go and queue for your free ticket for the whole event. Lovely, I shall enjoy that then. Thanks

Jameson

View attachment 32985

And it was bloody brilliant. I now live in Southend-on-sea and myself, kids, wife and inlaws walked the whole torch route to the seafront. The crowds were massive and the excitement was palpable. Whole schools, and every generation of families were lining the route. The high street was packed out with people waving the union flag, despite the rain everyone had a smile on their face. The torch came down, a choir of possibly a thousand struck up
View attachment 32986

And the flame came past us again, to much cheering and fanfare. It bought a shiver to my spine as I told my 2 little ones that this was a once in a lifetime experience. Even my farther in law, a hardcore cynic was moved.
So to all the Olympic haters, to the people moaning and taking the piss that this country will make a Prat of itself with the world watching, I say this.
I know it cost shit loads in our troubled economic times, but it's a once in a lifetime experience that will unite our country. Hope you enjoy it back in Brighton on the 16th as much as I did today.
View attachment 32987

Brilliant. It comes to my town on the 17th July and I'm even wheeling out my old dad for the occasion. If it's half as good as your experience, I shall be chuffed. :clap:

BLOCK F

Feb 26, 2009
Looking forward to the Olympics,but can't get excited by one of many Torches being carried down the road .See it on the ruddy news everyday day.Seen one and you've seen 'em all!

elbowpatches

Jul 7, 2003
Cambridge
Great build up in Cambridge and Parker's Piece was busy but like a sodden Glastonbury field. Just missed Iwan Thomas with the torch due to littl'un struggling to stay awake but the flame is here! As for getting up to see the flame around Trinity College then punted on the Cam at 6.45? Not so sure for me.

Bevendean Hillbilly

Sep 4, 2006
Nestling in green nowhere
I too saw it go down through leigh on sea on the way to Southend. 'twas packed and was indeed more exciting than I thought possible.

CP 0 3 BHA

Nov 28, 2003
Northants
Looking forward to the Olympics,but can't get excited by one of many Torches being carried down the road .See it on the ruddy news everyday day.Seen one and you've seen 'em all!

I can't agree with that. it was a really nice community experience seeing it pass through Dunchurch with the family last week. Even if the torch was being carried by some random Italian bloke called Leonardo! He looked chuffed to bits though.

Djmiles

Barndoor Holroyd
Dec 1, 2005
Kitchener, Canada
Happened to stumble across the torch in Birmingham last week by complete chance. We were getting a taxi from Dudley to Birmingham, and thought we would miss it completely. When we got near Brum, we turned left at a T-junction and before we know it, we're driving past hundreds of people lined up on the side of the road. We then get stopped by the police who tells the taxi driver to pull over and stop. Next thing, there is a massive convoy and the olympic flame runs past literally about 1 yard away. Brilliant experience!

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here