Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

The Official SHEFFIELD UNITED Match Thread

Beach Hut

Brighton Bhuna Boy
Jul 5, 2003
Living In a Box
We were awesome today, no bullshit - we were fcuking billiant.

Another season in the Championship is the end product of wins like this :clap2: :clap2:

Gullet

Feb 8, 2004
Bevendean
Beach Hut said:
We were awesome today, no bullshit - we were fcuking billiant.

Another season in the Championship is the end product of wins like this :clap2: :clap2:
Norman Gall said that in the 1st half it was the worse he'd seen us play all season. He even used the word awful. Are you saying it's about time we pensioned him off?

Yorkie

Sussex born and bred
Jul 5, 2003
dahn sarf
Gullet said:
Norman Gall said that in the 1st half it was the worse he'd seen us play all season. He even used the word awful. Are you saying it's about time we pensioned him off?

According to my husband, he (NG), reckoned it was lack of confidence.

Not how I would describe the first half. Sheff Utd threw a lot at us and we were having to defend but then we settled down after 20 mins and took the game to them.

Beach Hut

Brighton Bhuna Boy
Jul 5, 2003
Living In a Box
Norman Gall was not watching the same game as me.

We played so well it was just so so fantastic.

I totally positive and was convinced we woud get at least a point.

Hats off to Yorkie - called the 3 pointer :clap2:

eastlondonseagull

Jan 15, 2004
West Yorkshire
wolfie said:
Have to correct a few things. McCammon made a massive difference today. We looked up for a goal all match, but no more so than when he replaced OGH who looked tired.
Were you watching the same McCammon, Wolfie? Agreed, Harty looked knackered, but I though McC was v. poor, apart from adding a bit of 'pressure' / 'worry' to the attacking play, thought his distribution in good situations was poor. Still, f*** it, eh?!! :D

Gullet

Feb 8, 2004
Bevendean
eastlondonseagull said:
Were you watching the same McCammon, Wolfie? Agreed, Harty looked knackered, but I though McC was v. poor, apart from adding a bit of 'pressure' / 'worry' to the attacking play, thought his distribution in good situations was poor. Still, f*** it, eh?!! :D
Wasn't he just brought on to bash Cullip up a bit. Up till then Danny had been knocking Leon all over the park hadn't he?

Blackadder

Brighton Bhuna Boy
Jul 6, 2003
Haywards Heath
Beach Hut said:
Norman Gall was not watching the same game as me.

We played so well it was just so so fantastic.

I totally positive and was convinced we woud get at least a point.

Hats off to Yorkie - called the 3 pointer :clap2:

Beachy

You phoned me again to say we were f**king unbeliveable! :) :drink:

eastlondonseagull

Jan 15, 2004
West Yorkshire
Gullet said:
Wasn't he just brought on to bash Cullip up a bit. Up till then Danny had been knocking Leon all over the park hadn't he?
Not really. There was some other bald guy who blatantly obstructed Leon in the first half when he was the last man and the ball was through, and their defence in general was trying to get the better of Leon, but I wouldn't say they were knocking him all over the park. Have seen worse. But yeah, I think you might be right about the reason for McCammon coming on, though Gullet, cos he's a bigger bloke and had a presence up front, distracting attention away from Leon. Fair point. Leon had space to run on to Reid's cracking through ball. McC's on-the-ball play was pretty mediocre though.

Rangdo

Registered Cider Drinker
Apr 21, 2004
Cider Country
eastlondonseagull said:

Look at the stats. What are the results in the games that McGammon has played?

I agree this was our most impressive result of the season, just tops West Ham when you bear in mind the Blades' recent form.

There cannot be a better way to win a game either, two goals from injury-time counterattacks.

But we did get lucky - a few chances at both ends and although we just edged the balance of play, probably the Blades will feel the same way we did last week that a draw would have been the fairer result.

It certainly would have been a different game if Bromby hadn't made an amazing miss in the opening few minutes. The Blades were by far the better team early on and both Tonge and Gray were giving Virgs a hard time down our right flank.

There then followed probably the most boring half-hour of football I've seen this season. Both teams looked a bit flat, like they were suffering hangovers from big cup days last week. The Blades dropped their urgency and we were content to take the pace out of the game too, understandably on our part. Although we were tidy in midfield, little seemed to be created for us up front, a balding little midget who I later learnt was Alan Wright was keeping OGH very quiet.

The Blades fans also very quiet - couldn't get themselves out of that mood "with all respect, we should be beating teams like Brighton" without even bothering to exert themselves to support their team. On the train up two Blades fans sat their fat arses down near me and started giving a preview of the game for the whole carraige; "we can't lose to them, it would be a disaster, how many fans will they bring, three?"

So naturally during the very quiet half-hour, the away end sang "we're just a town full of faggots" to make a point of how little effort the Blades fans were putting in :lolol:

The game suddenly woke up with a few minutes before half-time when a direct ball up to OGH resulted in a superb flick-on to Reid, who had timed a great run into the box. He was one-on-one, harder to miss than score, but he did, hooking his shot past the left post :( Oh dear, one of those days?

The Blades threw a huge load forward and that ended up their downfall. Their move broke down on the edge of their box, as it did so often thanks to our wonderful organisation and carefully timed tackling, and the ball shot out to OGH near halfway. It was only a 50-50 ball but he won it with a tremendous sliding effort. He ended up on his arse but got up quickly and played a superb ball out to Leon rushing up the left flank. Leon then ran towards the box drawing loads of covering defenders. He could have shot but used his brains, a brilliant pass across the area to Chippy running into the box from the right. Chippy such a cool finish, striker's instinct, ball placed in the corner.

Brilliant goal - a rival for the one scored at Withdean against the Blades, also created by a great pass from Leon for Currie to score.

Whistle went for half-time. Warnock must have slaughtered his men at half-time because a different side came out in the second half. This half of football was much better than the mostly dire first one. The Blades were full of urgency and the game opened up for both sides.

Michael Tonge showed why he is getting big reviews, he ran at the heart of our defence and we started looking very shaky. Harley had a 25-yard free kick cleared off the line (was it Butters?), similar to QPR on Jan 1st.

The ref was having a decent game, keeping it flowing, but was remarkably lenient. Virgs was rugby tackled at one point while counterattacking from deep, yep a tackle from behind with arms round the waist and legs. That didn't even get a yellow, very, very strange :jester:

For me it was no surprise an equaliser came. Another direcr run at the heart of our central defence by Blades led to panic stations, Mayo panicked and mishit a clearance sweetly into the net.

Disappointing, but I think most of us would have settled for a point. That looked to be it particularly when a great cross from the right went across the six-yard box and OGH mishit completely with only the keeper to beat. To even things up, the Blades then also missed a free header from only a few yards out, another bad miss by them.

Big Mac came on and did well with some foraging runs down the right flank, some good crosses and useful corners won by him.

Petering out for a draw and when 4 minutes of injury time shown, most of us were unhappy - it looked more likely that Blades would score than us, we were all urging the ref to blow quickly.

With the Blades pouring forward for the win, Kenny even came out to his halfway line at one point, the inevitable happened. Their move again broke down and Reid picked out a superb through ball for Knight to run on to. It was the Leon of 2003 again, a deftly struck shot past the keeper. He ran towards us. He was so surprised he slipped and fell straight on his arse. No one cared, we were going apeshit. So were all our players, most of whom were mobbing our bench.

Once again after our goal, there was a few seconds and that's all.

The players celebrated in front of us. A strange looking Danny Cullip with hair was the only Blade applauding. He did the required thing and applauded his own fans first, but it was all just a prelude to jogging a few steps over the halfway line to applaud us. It would have been a bit too mawkish if he'd come any further towards us, so he ended it there and he jogged off. Quite right - a Brighton legend, but he's moved on now and so have we.

So yes, we were a little fortunate. But the 3-5-2 is a perfect system for these away games with teams coming at you like Spurs and the Blades. Our five in midfield make it difficult for the opposition to construct long passing moves, and when it breaks down, with so many of their players committed forward, we have chances to counterattack. We took 2 of those chances brilliantly, which made up for missing two other excellent chances which ironically were more constructed by our patient build-up play.

It's hard to see how McGhee can disrupt this formation now given it makes our defence and midfield play in such a tight, effective unit. The concern is whether it will be so effective when teams sit back and defend in numbers at Withdean. Particularly whether OGH will continue to make an impact in the role that Adams moved him away from so many years ago - without the stretched defences that allow him to use his pace and acceleration.

With the Gills reviving very quickly under Ternant, it is still very interesting at the bottom and today we only preserved our 7 point gap on the relegation zone. I think the Gills will overtake Cardiff, Coventry and Plymouth pretty soon unless those 3 teams pull their finger out.

Last edited:

eastlondonseagull

Jan 15, 2004
West Yorkshire
Disagree to some degree Irish, thought the ref was diabolical, didn't let the game flow, kept flagging for lots of mediocre tackles and yet allowed their bald bastard to check and blatantly obstruct Leon in the first half.

Yes, we rode our luck slightly, but so did they. We could have had four or five ourselves. The lads were marvellous :)

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here