Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

The 'Official' Olympic thread - sub section - Cycling

Stat Brother

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
West west west Sussex
We get it, you do not understand cycling or even like it. So why do you have to bother watching it and then posting ill informed nonsense?
+1.

crasher

Jul 8, 2003
Sussex
What appalling coverage-camerawork poor and a total lack of split times. Spoiled a well- deserved win. Trail says "BBC covering the Olympics like never before" ! Dead right so far.

I couldn't believe the interview they did with Vinokourov on the finish line either . First questions was "Well not the result Britain was hoping for......"

BBC need to drop some of this home bias sharpish. Yes, everyone was hoping for a Cavendish win but it's the Olympics - congratulate the bloke who's just won.

Bold Seagull

strong and stable with me, or...
Mar 18, 2010
Hove
I feel we did everything we could, five riders is not enough to control a race of this calibre. Especially when the vast majority of the peleton want anything but a British win.

Too many in the peloton in it quite literally just for the ride. Why didn't the Germans help earlier when they had equally a great chance? Though GB did a great job & superb effort in what appeared to be a lazy peloton.

Edit: I should say of course that's what u get as favorites I suppose...

Sep 7, 2011
shoreham
i watched it because all you so called cycling buffs said the result was a shoe in for team GB and as such i wanted to see the team get its first medal .
pmsl at experts

Stat Brother

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
West west west Sussex
Devils advocate alert:-

Froome seemed to drop out quite early, while Brad stayed and slogged for Cav.

Both riding in the time trial on Wednesday.

Just saying what I saw!

Stat Brother

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
West west west Sussex
i watched it because all you so called cycling buffs said the result was a shoe in for team GB and as such i wanted to see the team get its first medal pmsl at expert
By that do you mean NSC's cycling buffs, if so I'd like you to prove that.

I will give you the 'get out of jail free' card, as I felt 5-live's coverage this morning was shocking.
As they were reporting it as a shoe in and a done deal.

I would say they were more jingoistic than an American on 4th July, holding an assault rifle.
It was very disturbing, from The BBC.

D

Deleted member 22389

What appalling coverage-camerawork poor and a total lack of split times. Spoiled a well- deserved win. Trail says "BBC covering the Olympics like never before" ! Dead right so far.

That race actually wound me up too. Who at the BBC thought it was a good idea not to show the time gaps or to show the distance left in the race. It was pathetic.

Even the commentators where moaning about the lack of information and I did see riders keep having to go back to the car asking for time gaps.

Stat Brother

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
West west west Sussex
That race actually wound me up too. Who at the BBC thought it was a good idea not to show the time gaps or to show the distance left in the race. It was pathetic.

Even the commentators where moaning about the lack of information and I did see riders keep having to go back to the car asking for time gaps.
That's because it's not the BBC's coverage, it's the IOC.

Bold Seagull

strong and stable with me, or...
Mar 18, 2010
Hove

Just saying what I saw!

Me too, thought the same thing. I'm going to the TT on Weds, & hope this hasn't taken too much out of them!

Sep 7, 2011
shoreham

well i may know f*** all about cycling but i can listen, when i am told by a pundit that the pictures for todays race including timing where provided to the BBC by another foreign TV company under license, (so completely outside of the BBC,s control)

Springal

Feb 12, 2005
GOSBTS

The BBC get their pictures from the IOC.... as does every country around the world.

Marxo

Aug 7, 2011
Ghent, Belgium
Have to concur with the coverage and bias quotes, just heard Sue Barker say 'Mark Cavendish didn't win a medal because the 'team' couldn't keep up with the leaders, the gold medal was won by Kinnykourov (sic)'. Oh and another thing, we've just had 2 weeks wall to wall Wimbledon and now we've got...Wimbledon! Great innit?

D

Deleted member 22389

Ok sorry to blame the BBC. I never realised this. But next time please put a distance to go and time gaps on screen because I cannot follow a race like this. Time trials next....

Indurain's Lungs

Legend of Garry Nelson
Jun 22, 2010
Dorset
Always a bit too much for the gb boys to do.

Also, may I congratulate nsc on a spectacularly poor fantasy league performance! My 7 points was still good enough for 5th!

culvers

Jul 6, 2003
Sutton
Gutted for Cav and the other four team members. Watching in Richmond Park and it was a fantastic atmosphere. Millar was about a minute behind the pelaton with 15km to go and Froome a further minute back so they must have worked themselves into the ground. Really looking forward to the timetrial now.

Dick Knights Mumm

Take me Home Falmer Road
Jul 5, 2003
Hither and Thither
Just back. Watched from the A24 just before they turned onto the climb. It was a great atmosphere - and the official car parks worked like clockwork.

Denbies had a cycle fair and a big screen so we managed to watch the finish there.

The speed of the peleton is amazing - and the closeness to the crowd was disconcerting when many people seemed to take lots of chances - particulary taking photos.

It looked like driving the peleton took too much out of the team - as Cav said other teams seemed to prefer UK not to win, than try to win themselves. A bit of a baffling sporting attitude.

Bob!

Coffee Buyer
Jul 5, 2003

Just saying what I saw!

Me too, thought the same thing. I'm going to the TT on Weds, & hope this hasn't taken too much out of them!

i think stat brother might be suggesting that 'Froome for Gold' is the tip for Wednesday.

Stat Brother

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
West west west Sussex
Always a bit too much for the gb boys to do.

Also, may I congratulate nsc on a spectacularly poor fantasy league performance! My 7 points was still good enough for 5th!
I laugh in your face.

10 points :facepalm:

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here