Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

The 'Official' Olympic thread - sub section - Cycling

Gazwag

5 millionth post poster
Mar 4, 2004
Bexhill-on-Sea
If they hadn't restricted the one cyclist per country we would have all 10.

They were discussing this on the radio last night, it seems perfectly ok for USA to fight out gold silver and made bronze at the majority of mens and womens swimming event, same for Jamaica in the sprints and Ethipoia in the long distance races yet just because we are so good at the cycling they only allow us one entry per face.

Papa Lazarou

Living in a De Zerbi wonderland
Jul 7, 2003
Worthing

Papa Lazarou

Living in a De Zerbi wonderland
Jul 7, 2003
Worthing
They were discussing this on the radio last night, it seems perfectly ok for USA to fight out gold silver and made bronze at the majority of mens and womens swimming event, same for Jamaica in the sprints and Ethipoia in the long distance races yet just because we are so good at the cycling they only allow us one entry per race.

Odd isn't it?

ROSM

Dec 26, 2005
Just far enough away from LDC
They were discussing this on the radio last night, it seems perfectly ok for USA to fight out gold silver and made bronze at the majority of mens and womens swimming event, same for Jamaica in the sprints and Ethipoia in the long distance races yet just because we are so good at the cycling they only allow us one entry per face.

I suppose in track cycling they are limited to 10 events so a maximum of 30 medals. The UCI have a responsibility to promote the sport and so they may be thinking that sharing the medals around is one way of doing it. In athletics there are c20 track and field events per gender (so c40 in all) so there may not be such a need to place restrictions.

Gazwag

5 millionth post poster
Mar 4, 2004
Bexhill-on-Sea
I suppose in track cycling they are limited to 10 events so a maximum of 30 medals. The UCI have a responsibility to promote the sport and so they may be thinking that sharing the medals around is one way of doing it. In athletics there are c20 track and field events per gender (so c40 in all) so there may not be such a need to place restrictions.

Yeah I can see your point, although didn't they remove some of the events from last time, but maybe they replaced them with different event, I can't remember now.

ROSM

Dec 26, 2005
Just far enough away from LDC
Yeah I can see your point, although didn't they remove some of the events from last time, but maybe they replaced them with different event, I can't remember now.

yep they had 10 events last time and 10 this time.

They had reduce the men's events to increase the woman's number which I think is a good thing otherwise we might not have seen Miss Hot to Trott do so well to make up for Princess Pendleton's rule infringements (not my tounge is firmly in my cheek here).

What they have removed was the multiple entry rule so we had to choose between Kenny and Hoy in the individual race.

Indurain's Lungs

Legend of Garry Nelson
Jun 22, 2010
Dorset
yep they had 10 events last time and 10 this time.

They had reduce the men's events to increase the woman's number which I think is a good thing otherwise we might not have seen Miss Hot to Trott do so well to make up for Princess Pendleton's rule infringements (not my tounge is firmly in my cheek here).

What they have removed was the multiple entry rule so we had to choose between Kenny and Hoy in the individual race.

The UCI are pushing for an extra track endurance event for Rio - likely the points race or the individual pursuit. However, teams will not be able to pick any more riders so they will have to come from the existing endurance squad. McQuaid said it would encourage the road riders to ride the track as well but there is not way that will happen as the preparation is just so specific.

Horton's halftime iceberg

Blooming Marvellous
Jan 9, 2005
Brighton
The UCI are pushing for an extra track endurance event for Rio - likely the points race or the individual pursuit. However, teams will not be able to pick any more riders so they will have to come from the existing endurance squad. McQuaid said it would encourage the road riders to ride the track as well but there is not way that will happen as the preparation is just so specific.

British Cycling is always on the ball and Both CAV and BRAD have said they want to do Team Pursuit in Rio 2016. Clancy, G, Cav and Brad, pretty awsome line up.

I would love to see them put indivudual team pursuits back in.

Had a brilliant time at the olympics again yesterday, could see the starting gate, first jump and big screen/results/time splits screen, before going into the main stadium. Hope Liam and Shanaze get medal shots, so fast and competitive. Crowd sounded loud.

Stat Brother

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
West west west Sussex

pasty

A different kind of pasty
Jul 5, 2003
West, West, West Sussex
Trotty and Kenny getting it on I see

image_update_c42aa82ce3461a7d_1344486302_9j-4aaqsk.jpeg

Stat Brother

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
West west west Sussex
Forgive my JCL question, but how do you have an individual team pursuit?
One rider on each side of the track, as opposed to the 4 that we saw in the team pursuit.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here