Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Misc] The Official NSC Bird Spotting Thread.

Zeberdi

“Vorsprung durch Technik”
NSC Patron
Oct 20, 2022
Def one of these two.

View attachment 184609

View attachment 184610Buzzard on top Red Kite bottom
1719227996091.png

1719228025781.png

Beautiful photos but just as a heads up, unless you took the photos yourself, you could be breaching copyright by using them without the photographer’s permission. Perhaps post a link to the site instead? Apologies if they are your photos - amazing shots if so.

If it were either of the two, then Common Buzzard would be more likely than RK - Buzzards routinely perch on low lying structures like fences or posts to hunt for voles in the grass etc. Red Kites are carrion eaters and tend either be seen on the ground or perched in trees (or soaring overhead!).

It could have been a WTE - they often perch on fence posts but as @Weststander says, no recent sightings ( last reported one in Sussex was on 17 April according to Birdguides)

Diablo

NSC Patron
Sep 22, 2014
lewes
Beautiful photos but just as a heads up, unless you took the photos yourself, you could be breaching copyright by using them without the photographer’s permission. Perhaps post a link to the site instead? Apologies if they are your photos - amazing shots if so.

If it were either of the two, then Common Buzzard would be more likely than RK - Buzzards routinely perch on low lying structures like fences or posts to hunt for voles in the grass etc. Red Kites are carrion eaters and tend either be seen on the ground or perched in trees (or soaring overhead!).

It could have been a WTE - they often perch on fence posts but as @Weststander says, no recent sightings ( last reported one in Sussex was on 17 April according to Birdguides)
thanks googled pics so have deleted.

Cordwainer

Jul 30, 2023

FamilyGuy

Jul 8, 2003
Crawley
Not a very exciting bird, but we have a pair of pigeons apparently nesting in our garden. Don’t believe there’s any eggs in there right now, but one of the pair rarely leaves the nest. View attachment 184611
They really are crap at nest construction aren't they?
If thats the best they can do its amazing that there are so many of them around.

WATFORD zero

NSC Patron
Jul 10, 2003
I was driving from Hurstpierpoint to Ansty today and just outside Ansty a beautiful Buzzard took off from the side of the road and flew up the road (which is covered by trees) for about 100 metres in front of me until the trees opened up and it rose up and off to the left.

Really impressive and obviously a sign as the Romans used to say :wink:

mikeyjh

Dec 17, 2008
Llanymawddwy
I was driving from Hurstpierpoint to Ansty today and just outside Ansty a beautiful Buzzard took off from the side of the road and flew up the road (which is covered by trees) for about 100 metres in front of me until the trees opened up and it rose up and off to the left.

Really impressive and obviously a sign as the Romans used to say :wink:
Underrated bird, Kites get all the attention but the buzzard is a beauty...

WATFORD zero

NSC Patron
Jul 10, 2003
Underrated bird, Kites get all the attention but the buzzard is a beauty...

Buzzards are the business, Kites are just pussies. Although, being based in Brighton, I do get quite excited spotting a Kite as they've only been down here for a couple of years and I don't go to High Wycombe as much since I retired. Same with Buzzards when I used to go to Swindon a lot, but they've been around these parts 15 years now and I normally see a few every week.

Still haven't seen a White tailed Eagle yet although I understand a couple of the IOW ones have been spotted around here so i'm keeping 'em peeled :thumbsup:

Zeberdi

NSC Patron
Oct 20, 2022
Couple of Barn Owl boxes near me. One has been taken over by Kestrels that have now flown the other has a couple of Stock Dove chicks in it.

Picture shows two of the four young Kestrels venturing out. One on top of box and one on Beam above.
Fantastic- so jealous - great news that the Kestrel chicks all fledged safely - the two there look very close to fledging at that point.

Our reserve Barn Owl box was predated by corvids earlier in the Spring and all the Barn Owl chicks were lost sadly.

Thunder Bolt

Silly old bat
Buzzards are the business, Kites are just pussies. Although, being based in Brighton, I do get quite excited spotting a Kite as they've only been down here for a couple of years and I don't go to High Wycombe as much since I retired. Same with Buzzards when I used to go to Swindon a lot, but they've been around these parts 15 years now and I normally see a few every week.

Still haven't seen a White tailed Eagle yet although I understand a couple of the IOW ones have been spotted around here so i'm keeping 'em peeled :thumbsup:
One of the White tailed Eagles flies to Kent and back fairly regularly. They are all tracked.
I've seen a Buzzard over by Tarring Neville a couple of times.

BrightonCottager

Sep 30, 2013
Brighton
I've just got back from Croatia and loved the swift action especially in the afternoon and evening. In Split there were flocks murmurating (if that's the technical term for what swifts do in a bunch) through the Roman Diocletian's Palace and - best of all - I could sit out on our 4th floor balcony and watch and listen to them dive bombing around my head. I filmed some of it but it's too large a file to upload here.

Apart from that, I only really saw a few gulls, a tern, some swallows and a jay. Wrong part of Croatia for birdlife

Cordwainer

Jul 30, 2023
I've just got back from Croatia and loved the swift action especially in the afternoon and evening. In Split there were flocks murmurating (if that's the technical term for what swifts do in a bunch) through the Roman Diocletian's Palace and - best of all - I could sit out on our 4th floor balcony and watch and listen to them dive bombing around my head. I filmed some of it but it's too large a file to upload here.

Apart from that, I only really saw a few gulls, a tern, some swallows and a jay. Wrong part of Croatia for birdlife
Sounds great..love Swifts. Any tips for Split please..am there and Zadar in early August..dm if you like to prevent thread derailing. Cheers.

dazzer6666

NSC Patron
Mar 27, 2013
Burgess Hill

I was there last week too………amazing to watch them when we went to the Old Town, particularly towards dusk. Only other notable bird life we saw were the dozens of Peacocks on Lokrum, many with young.

Nobby

Sep 29, 2007
Driving from Petworth to Midhurst last week, close by we spotted a huge brown bird of prey resting on sign, many times the size of a Kestral or Sparrowhawk. Looked like a White Tailed or Golden Eagle. But I assume there've been no West Sussex sightings for a long time? If not, I assume it can only be a Buzzard.
White Tailed Eagles now in Sussex - released on the Isle of Wight.

Zeberdi

NSC Patron
Oct 20, 2022
White Tailed Eagles now in Sussex - released on the Isle of Wight.

It is exciting that people can see these amazing birds without travelling to Scotland. They are not ‘now’ in Sussex tbh but they can be seen wandering through Sussex from time to time. There was one or two birds for a while at Pulborough Brooks in August 2022 which were the same birds seen at Arundel WWT.

The last WTE reported by the public in the South afaia was seen on 24/6 /2024 in Somerset which was probably G818 from the IoW.

One of the ones you might see in Sussex is that same G818 who made an extraordinary journey in March this year along to South Coast from Dorset over Brighton and then from Kent over to France and back again along the same route in April. She flew 2065 km in 22 days and it took her 27 minutes to make the channel crossing which is a pretty impressive glide speed. G818 is now probably around the Avon vally area but keep your eyes to the skies, she may fly back to France. Up in Norfolk we had a young male in January that hung around for a few months with a colour ringed Dutch WTE. That was G625 the first wild offspring from the IoW project.

Young eagles are highly nomadic so unless they are at a breeding site, they tend not to hand around and most of the birds found outside known breeding territories are immature birds dispersing from their natal areas which makes them a little harder to identify because they don’t acquire the completely white tail for a few years but it has a black tip and is paler than it’s body.

The IoW eagles can be followed (after the event) here on Roy Dennis’ website

You can also report any sighting to him (and the colour ring details/which leg/letters if you can see them).

Last edited:

MJsGhost

Oooh Matron, I'm an
NSC Patron
Jun 26, 2009
East

I'm not long back from Crete and the screaming of swifts in Rethymno Old Town & castle was an unexpected treat

Diablo

NSC Patron
Sep 22, 2014
lewes
Many Egrets now seen on Brooks and have seen different similar Bird which I believe is "Cattle Egret". anyone else seen Cattle Egret in Ouse Valley below Lewes or anywhere else ???

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here