Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

*** The official 'Just got in from Watford' thread ***

Fungus

NSC Patron
May 21, 2004
Truro
I love the M1.

When I came off the M1 at J21, I found myself behind a car with an Albion sticker. Old car, "WCD" reg, turned into Fosse Park. Anyone here?

Watford4ever

Jan 9, 2011
like Deeney :jester:

Well he does seem like we have over-paid on him although maybe playing the lad up front in a natural position might help...

However 500k is nothing compared to the millions wasted on the likes of Ellington/Damien Francis by Boothroyd and even Vialli before him.

At least any bad signings Malky has made have been cheap!

I am not sure we will reach the play-offs but this league is quite inconsistent and if our squad bounces back who knows.

Most would have settle for 4th bottom before the season started so there will be mixed feeling if we were just miss out on the top 6.

God help us if we did go up though!

Mackenzie

Old Brightonian
Nov 7, 2003
East Wales
I was hoping we'd put in a bid for Deeney, he was excellent for Walsall last year, but it did surprise me how much Watford actually had to spend to get him. Half a million was about twice what I thought he'd cost. I think in terms of expensive flops, Ellington must be up there. We were linked to him earlier in the season (probably only a rumour) I'm pretty glad it didn't work out.

Mr Everyone

Jan 12, 2008
Long Eaton
When I came off the M1 at J21, I found myself behind a car with an Albion sticker. Old car, "WCD" reg, turned into Fosse Park. Anyone here?

Nah, not us. I did see a black VW Golf sporting a Brighton sticker on the way down.

There do seem to be a load of Brighton fans based around the Midlands. More so than the average lower-league team.

Watford4ever

Jan 9, 2011
I was hoping we'd put in a bid for Deeney, he was excellent for Walsall last year, but it did surprise me how much Watford actually had to spend to get him. Half a million was about twice what I thought he'd cost. I think in terms of expensive flops, Ellington must be up there. We were linked to him earlier in the season (probably only a rumour) I'm pretty glad it didn't work out.

I am sure Deeney could become a decent player with time but I do remember Walsall fans saying he wasn't the quickest so playing out wide is hardly going to help him..also 500k is a lot for us to spend on one player in our current money climate.

Ellington cost 3.25 million plus wages of around 10k and then either never played or fell out with Boothroyd over the style of play we had at the time.

Even Graham Taylor has made transfer mistakes though for us and not all players can be perfect!

You just hope they show some effort and look like they want to be there which wasn't the case under Vialli and his expensive flops.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here