Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

The official I've got a ticket but am now cacking myself over the travel arrangements

Brixtaan

Jul 7, 2003
Border country.East Preston.
That doesn't make sense, your either on the train or not?

I have to go to a machine at any station (anytime between now and then) tap in the ref number,put my card in and collect the ticket.
They told me if you haven't got a seat booked then they won't let you on the platform.

Simster

"the man's an arse"
Jul 7, 2003
Surrey
Brixtaan said:
That doesn't make sense, your either on the train or not?

I have to go to a machine at any station (anytime between now and then) tap in the ref number,put my card in and collect the ticket.
They told me if you haven't got a seat booked then they won't let you on the platform.
I picked up my ticket by that method this morning at Liverpool St - but it's unreserved. As I say, the clown on the other end of the GWR telesales line suggested I go to a mainline station and get a seat number reserved. We'll see what happens...

Herne Hill Seagull

Jul 10, 2003
Galicia
If you're early enough, you'll get on a train. To reiterate what I said a couple of days ago: unless things have changed dramatically since I went to the Arsenal v. Liverpool Cup Final, they herd people without reserved seats into queues, corralled by railings. Then people with seats booked get on the train, then they let a certain number of people with tickets but without seats on.

It would be ludicrous for them to deny hundreds and hundreds of fans the right to get on a train for which they've bought a ticket, simply because they don't have a seat booked. What are they going to do with them all? They'd have a riot on their hands.

Getting home might be a nightmare.

When I booked tickets yesterday (by phone, with First Great Western) on behalf of the teaboy and his party, they were happy to reserve seats going from Paddington to Cardiff, but said that there would be no reservations coming back.

"You'll be directed on to the first available train".

Good luck.

clapham_gull

Legacy Fan
Aug 20, 2003
Not to worry too much - they just stop people booking on the way back it seems to be the rule for the big events.

If you think about it makes total sense with a lot of people leaving at the same time.

Also as they're not quite sure when the game will end ie extra time, they could end up with people trying to get on trains they're not booked on.

Queing people up is probably the safest and surest way of getting home is it not ?

I'm quite glad they're doing this.

Kneon Light

Jul 24, 2003
Falkland Islands
Ok I'm getting worried having read all this.

I have a ticket for the 10.29 from Bath Spa to Cardiff. (Staying sat night in Bath). It is for an unreserved seat.

Will I be allowed on the train given that it will probably be packed with people who got on at Paddington?

Any advice?

Dancin Ninja BHA

Jul 6, 2003
Well, the call centre in Plymouth for Great Western have well and truly f***ed me over!!

Travelling from Swindon sunday morning (long story, don't ask but as I never wear colours they'll be no danger of an irate Swindon fan having a go at me!!), supposedly booked tickets on a train that leaves Paddington and gets into Swindon at 11am to be in Cardiff an hour later.....just got in and looked at my tickets, they booked me onto a train that leaves Swindon at 8am (and I'm in London at that precise moment!!)

I'm f***ed, as when I phoned the call centre they said that I've got no chance of getting onto the train at 11am, as it will be full and the guards/transport police wont let me or my four travelling companions onto the train....do I risk it, trying to barge onto the train, or risk the terrible thought of being stuck in Swindon station not being able to bound a Cardiff-bound train until 3pm??

Very pissed off, didnt want to drive (want to drink, obviously, and dont want the hassle of a 3hour wait in the carpark after the game)

Yorkie

Sussex born and bred
Jul 5, 2003
dahn sarf
Wiltshire Seagull has been told that none of the westbound trains are stopping at Swindon

Simster

"the man's an arse"
Jul 7, 2003
Surrey
Simster said:
I picked up my ticket by that method this morning at Liverpool St - but it's unreserved. As I say, the clown on the other end of the GWR telesales line suggested I go to a mainline station and get a seat number reserved. We'll see what happens...
And what a complete clown he was. I went to London Waterloo on the way home to reserve my seat and of course it's fully booked.

The guy who served me was quite helpful though. He said on all journeys, 40% of the train's capacity is reserved seating so you turn up and take your chances. Personally I'll be getting there at 9.15am in the hope of getting on the 10am.

Beach Hut

Brighton Bhuna Boy
Jul 5, 2003
Living In a Box
Everyone please note I am sure you must have a seat reservation if you are catching any train out of Paddington on Sunday.

If you don't you may well not be catching a train.

Simster

"the man's an arse"
Jul 7, 2003
Surrey
Beach Hut said:
Everyone please note I am sure you must have a seat reservation if you are catching any train out of Paddington on Sunday.

If you don't you may well not be catching a train.
You could well be right - from the great western site:

The Play-Off Finals are taking place this Bank Holiday weekend at the Millennium Stadium, Cardiff and First Great Western are providing additional train services for supporters travelling to the matches.

On Saturday 29th May the 1st Division Play-Off Final will be taking place between West Ham United and Crystal Palace.

On Sunday 30th May the 2nd Division Play-Off Final will be taking place between Bristol City and Brighton and Hove Albion.

On Monday 31st May the 3rd Division Play-Off Final will be taking place between Mansfield Town and Huddersfield Town.

We are expecting large numbers of fans to be travelling over this Bank Holiday Weekend and so would advise anyone who is not travelling to South Wales for the Play-Off Finals to travel outside of peak times these being services departing London Paddington before 1200 and Cardiff after 1630.

All trains to Cardiff on Saturday and Sunday are now reported to be fully booked. Customers with train tickets but no seat reservations, are advised that boarding controls will operate on a first come, first served basis - for safety and security reasons. Whilst we will endeavour to ensure that all customers travel safely to the matches, dependant on the number of people queuing on the day we cannot guarantee arrival in time for kick-off.

I'm going to look for alternative arrangements...

Last edited:

Beach Hut

Brighton Bhuna Boy
Jul 5, 2003
Living In a Box
Ernest said:
Seriously PM me and you'll be on the 10am :clap2: :clap2:

Can I join your ARS ?

Beach Hut

Brighton Bhuna Boy
Jul 5, 2003
Living In a Box
Ernest said:
Nope as I only help genuine fans and not gloryhunters like you which is why I have a seat reservation that Mr Simster can have :clap2: :clap2: :clap2:

Can Uncle Dick use your ARS ?

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here