Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

The Official FOOTBALL MANAGER 2012 Career Thread

bn1&bn3 Albion

Jan 15, 2011
Portslade
First time playing FM, just getting used to it and figured I would cheat, I have a transfer budget of about 340,000,000 and about 350,000 for wages p/w.

I'm playing:
-----------Barnes----CMS------------
----LuaLua----------------Noone-----
---------Bridcutt----Vicente----------

Ridgewell--Shotten--Dunk--Gunter----

----------------Amos----------------

Beat Ipswich away 8-1, CMS and Barnes hatrick :albion2:
Also tampered with Vicente's injury proneness, it was 17 out of 20...

Finished my fourth season last night, in 7th again. The team performed more consistently this year, never going higher than 6th or lower than 9th. The standout league result was a smash-and-grab 2-0 win against the eventual champions Liverpool at Anfield. Made it to the semi-finals of the League Cup, where we were beaten by Liverpool, and disappointingly knocked out of the FA Cup in a 5th round replay against Blackburn. My best results were in the Europa League, which we started in the 2nd qualifying round (I think that the League Cup winners the previous season finished top 4 and thus the Europa League spot went to us in 7th). In the last 16, we lost 3-1 away at Twente in the first leg only to beat them 7-0 (yes, SEVEN) in the return. In the quarter-final Tottenham had a man sent off early on at WHL and we proceeded to hammer them 5-2; however my decision to rest a couple of players in the return leg all went a bit Pete Tong, and at 2-5 with only one minute of stoppage time remaining it looked like we were heading for extra time, until Jonjo Shelvey popped up to tap home a third goal to take us through. We then played very well in the San Siro and were unlucky to lose 1-0 to Inter, and finally were well beaten 1-0 at the Amex to go out. Great run though. In other news, Spanish regen (signed from Real Madrid for £3.5m) Jese scored 20 league goals, beaten the club record set by CMS in 2011/12, and Robert Snodgrass got 18 assists, also a club record.

First choice team for last season;
GK: Scott Loach
RB: Lee Hodson
LB: Greg Cunningham
CB: Ryan Bennett
CB: Lewis Dunk (c)
DMC: Radoslav Petrovic
CM: Jonjo Shelvey
CM: Tom Cairney
AMR: Robert Snodgrass
AML: Xerdan Shaqiri
CF: Jese

Bench: Lee Steele, Jack Hobbs, Josh McEachran, Will Buckley, Connor Wickham, Inigo Calderon, Elliot Bennett, Jordan Mutch

I've played through most of the summer, and it's been a busy one. Sold Cunningham (£6m to West Brom), Jack Hobbs (£6.5m to Villa), Josh McEachran (£7m to Cardiff), Elliot Bennet (£6.5m to Cardiff), Jordan Mutch (£10m to Spurs) and released Inigo Calderon from my first choice 18 as well as a lot of fringe players, with more likely to follow, and signed Paul Pogba (£10m from Rangers), Grant Hanley (£7m, Blackburn), Junior Hoillet (£8.75m, Blackburn), Ruben Rochina (£10.5m, Blackburn). Also failed in bids for Nathan Redmond (Fulham turned down £18m for him!) and a very good regen central midfielder from Wigan. I started playing some of my promising reserves in the final few games, particularly the defenders, and they'll get games in the coming season (especially the full backs given that I haven't replaced Cunningham at LB). No Europa League distractions so I'm hoping for a successful season - I'd love to finish higher than 7th but the teams ahead of me are all much larger (Man City were 6th) and I'm struggling to attract players significantly better than what I have, despite a large transfer budget.

Falkor

Banned
Jun 3, 2011
Is anyone up for an online game dont need hamachi as i have managed to port forward and can run it without needing that stuff.

Say play for 2/3 hours twice a week, we all select the league and see how it goes can be good fun if worked correctly

SULLY COULDNT SHOOT

Loyal2Family+Albion!
Sep 28, 2004
Izmir, Southern Turkey
Have found an abolsute gem of a goalkeeper for Brighton.... may sound Scottish but is actually Peruvian (born in Caracas, Venezuela, of Scottish parents)... George Forsyth... 45k from Allianz and doesnt need a wp. Has been superb! You may need to load south american first division teams to get him.

ees complicated no?

Apr 3, 2011
Hove, United Kingdom
Im in 2019 /2020 atm, average gate a season gone to about 28,500+, won the prem 3 times, Im the 3rd richest club in the world, won the fa cup 2 times and the C. shield & league cup 1's, think my under 18's have won there league almost every season, but the reserves have only won 1s.
on the bad side, I have still not won the champions league or europa league which im abit gutted about & I think I may get sacked this season as its half way into it and Im 6th after selling most my best players for huge profits and starting the next generation with young players :facepalm: looks like its going to backfire.

Grombleton

Surrounded by <div>s
Dec 31, 2011
On my second BHA save for this, having a stormer at the moment with the following 11 (pretty solid):

GK: Amos (cost 600k)
RB: Calderon/Christian Ribiero
CB: Dunk/Sandy Paillot (started poorly but is keeping Dunk out)
CB: Greer
LB: Painter/Ben Parker
CDM: Bridcutt/Navarro
CM: Adam Clayton (got him for a good fee from Leeds)/Tom Soares (on loan from Stoke)
AML: Lua Lua/Vicente
AMR: Noone/Buckley
CF: CMS
CF: Pablo Mouche (200k)

Mixing up the subs, and i've got rid of some of the crap (Ankergren was kicked out for complaining too much, Dicker was sold for 200k, Elphick for about 40k) and i've loaned out many of the youngsters to get some 1st team experience.

One good tip - get a decent parent club. I've managed to secure Man Utd and they're happy to give some good players. Tried this on a previous save of it and was handed Amos on a free and Macheda on loan for the season with his wages paid).

Falkor

Banned
Jun 3, 2011
how do you screenshot the page, it only takes a picture of my desktop, ive tried going into the settings but cant find the right bit to tick or untick :S

make sure the screen is up then ya will have a print screen button on you comp press that and paste it to pant.

thats how i do it but i play in windowed mode

SULLY COULDNT SHOOT

Loyal2Family+Albion!
Sep 28, 2004
Izmir, Southern Turkey
For the New Year I went back to the Albion and started again. Decided to find a solution for Gus and went with two deep DMs and 2 wingers with two upfront. So, a 4-2-2-2 with no CMs. Had a large database with all the league 1 teams for europe and all national teams for europe and south america.

And it was a fantastic season. I was able to go on holiday for the last ten games after winning the title at a canter.

Final stats p.46 w 35 d9 l2 gf 108 ga 27 pts 114 (new record)

Transfers in:

Antonin Fantis 250k
Stanislaw Oliviera 26k
Martin Dechev 85k
George Forsyth 45k
Martin Milec 80k
Stanislav Kostov loan later bought at end of season
Georgi Terzeiv 60k
Matjaz Kek loan
Jack Robinson loan
Danny Da costa loan
Stelvio free
Alejandro Frezzotti 10k

and in Jan
Sead Ramovic 85k
Arkadiusz Milik loan but bought at end of season
Michal Kucharczyk 250k
Kazenga 1m

My top squad was:
gk - forsyth, ramovic - both TOP keepers
dr calderon, vincelot
dl dechev, kek
dc greer da costa
dc dunk terziev
dmc frezzotti, bridcutt
dmc stelvio, oliviera
amr lualua, vicente
aml milec, noone
sc kucharczyk (8 in 16), barnes (24 goals)
sc cms (21 goals), fantis (13 goals)

Averages - lua lua 7.59 greer 7.47 (champ poy), milec 7.45

Started rebuilding no for prem but no money for stadium expansion :(

Started rebuilding no for prem but no money for stadium expansion :(

How much have you been given in terms of transfer fees? I wouldn't worry too much about the expansion, it will come, and when it does you won't be able to fill it anyway! I expanded to c32,000 and the most we ever get through the gate (for Man United or Liverpool) is 28k.

Finished the 2015/16 season last year. I massively over performed thanks to no Europa League football, managing to win the League Cup (a nice draw meant not playing any of the big teams) and finished 3rd in the league (behind champions Man City and Arsenal, just ahead of Man United and with Chelsea, Tottenham and Liverpool all trailing in my wake), including a last-day victory at the Emirates against Arsenal and home wins over Tottenham and Liverpool. So next season will see the first ever Champions League football at the Amex.

Having spent heavily in the summer of 2015, I was able to agree a couple of deals before the end of the season (has anyone else noticed that relegated teams tend to put large swathes of their squad on the transfer list when relegation is confirmed, only to take them off about two weeks later?), including long-term target Nathan Redmond (who I had an £18m bid rejected for last summer) for £2.8m as Fulham were relegated. Missed out on my other targets (Mateo Kovačić chose Chelsea when he left relegated Stoke and Wigan won't sell my other primary midfield target) but have bought in a couple of young reserves and happy to go ahead with this squad next season, with almost two complete teams to chose from. Two of my players (Jonjo Shelvey and Connor Wickham) were included in the England squad which went to the Euros, and one more (Tiago Ilori) was in the initial 30 but missed the final cut.

This is my first/second XI from the season just gone;

GK) Scott Loach (Watford, £525k) / Lee Steele (Middlesbrough, £1m)
RB) Lee Hodson (Watford, £550k) / Gavin Clarke (Northern Irish regen)
LB) Jack Robinson (West Ham, £7m) / Luigi De Nala (Italian regen)
CB) Tiago Ilori (Newcastle, £5.5m) / Grant Hanley (Blackburn, £7m)
CB) Lewis Dunk (club captain) / Ryan Bennett (Peterborough, £1.2m)
DM) Radoslav Petrovic (Blackburn, £2.6m), Diego Mayler (Swiss regen)
CM) Jonjo Shelvey (Liverpool, £2m) / Andy van der Merde (Dutch regen)
CM) Tom Cairney (Hull, £2.6m) / Paul Pogba (Rangers, £10.5m)
AMR) Junior Hoillet (Blackburn, £7.5m) / Mario Salibur (French regen)
AML) Xerdan Shaqiri (Stoke, £13.75m) / Jose (Spanish regen)
CF) Connor Wickham (Sunderland, £7.25m) / Ruben Rochina (Blackburn, £10.5m)

SULLY COULDNT SHOOT

Loyal2Family+Albion!
Sep 28, 2004
Izmir, Southern Turkey
19 m pre-season... more than enough as I only have to revamp defence

FLOG GNAW

Banned
Sep 21, 2009
Under Your Skin.
Overview
Started a season with Albion, going pretty well so far. After telling Bloom I'd been aiming for mid-table, I'm currently on 72 points after 32 games, 10 clear of West Ham in 2nd. If Blackpool who are currently in 3rd win their game in hand they will close my lead to 8 points. The main reason for Albion walking to league is our 22 games without defeat. I haven't lost since a 2-0 reverse away to Birmingham back in October. I've picked up some great results since then -

These include;
  • Doing the Double over Saints. A 5-0 win at Falmer, and 4-2 at St.Mary's
  • A Jamie Mackie hat-trick in a 3-2 win away to P*lace
  • Beating West Ham 3-1 at Falmer
  • Vicente getting a 37 minute hat-trick away to Watford

Cups
Beat Everton 2-1 in the F.A Cup 3rd round, before losing 2-1 at Anfield in the 4th round. Carling Cup was equally meh, reserve squad beat Crawley 1-0 before getting Leicester in the 2nd round, where I lost 5-3 A.E.T. However as I was 3-1 down in the 85th minute, I can't have any complaints.

Formation

I play 4-4-2 with a defensive midfielder and two wingers.

Transfers

Before the season started, my main concern was our lack of quality in midfield, and lack of cover in defence. I also wanted a striker to partner CMS. Had a couple of million to s

Pre-Season:

Michael Bostwick - 22 year old CB/CM from Stevenage. Cost me 750k which was probably a bit more than I should have paid. Decent player to have the bench, only played 10/11 games this season but is pretty solid.

Geremi Ndjitap - 33 year old ex-Chelsea, Real Madrid and Newcaslte man. Picked up on a free. Gives Bridcutt competition and can cover in defence. Picks up a few injuries, and went missing for the African Cup of Nations. Tutouring Lewis Dunk. Mainly as I'm trying to turn into a DM.

Tom Soares - Central midfielder On loan from Stoke. Paid £275,000 to have him on the loan, with the option to sign him permanently £600,000 at the end of the season. Won't bother, can't even get on to the bench. :nono:

Lomana LuaLua - Another old player who I picked up on a free. Been a brilliant player, doesn't score as many as I'd like, but scares the hell out of defenders. Can play as the CM, out wide or even up front. Has a positive effect on Kazenga and Nooney.

Eric Lichaj - Main pre-season signing. 23 year old full back who can play on either flank. Cost £1,500,000 from Villa. Has made the right-back spot his own. Only player to have played in every game this season. Mr.consistent. 4 MoM awards.

Jlloyd Samuel - 30 year old LB. Decent cover for Painter. Solid enough. Free agent.

Jamie Mackie - :bowdown: Got him on loan for a 325k fee. Smashing 16 goals by January. Signed him for £1,200,000 in January, carried on in the same form. 20 goals, league top scorer, highest Average Rating in the league. Hattrick v P*lace helps too.

Paul Pogba - Had on loan. Shit. Sent back.

Yves Ma Kalambay - Another free agent, Decent back-up keeper.

Federico Macheda - Season loan from Man.U when I realised after a few games that Barnes wasn't good enough for the bench. 6 starts, 5 goals. Starting to play a bit more as CMS is injured.

January

Bloom offered me a chance to change my season expectations. I went for Play-Offs, and he gave me a few million to spend. Decided I needed 2-3 more players for the final push.

Anderson Silva - Free signing from Nacional. 26 years old, Another defensive midfielder, cover for when Geremi is injured or away on International duty. Will probably move him on in the summer.

Rivaldo - 39 year old, but I had to sign him. Technically amazing, can't run but boy can he play. Already smashed in a free-kick and pulls out moments of pure magic. Don't know if he'll cope next year, but I can hope.

Kazenga LuaLua - Signed permanently for £1,000,000. Really doing well, especially since he's signed full time. Also made Lomana really happy.

Jamie Mackie - As I said earlier, signed permanently for £1,200,000. Another play who has picked up his form since signing.

Joe Lewis - £1,400,000 to pay over 3 years. Solid keeper, with the potential to get better. Fans annoyed at the signing? IRL, I'd be f*cking chuffed.

Darren Pratley - Got offered him and thought he was exactly what I needed. Let Bloom negotiate the deal as I didn't have the money. Great player, and a bargain at £1,200,000.

Current Team

Joe Lewis (GK) - 5 Appearances. Average Rating - 6.78
Eric Lichaj (RB) - 32 Appearances. Average Rating - 7.33. Goals - 1.
Gordon Greer (CB) - 32 Appearances. Average Rating - 7.35. Goals -7.
Lewis Dunk (CB) - 23 Appearances. Average Rating - 7.23. Goals - 2.
Marcos Painter (LB) - 16 Appearances. Average Rating - 7.04. Goals - 0
Liam Bridcutt (CDM) - 25 Appearances. Average Rating - 7.23. Goals - 1
Darren Pratley (CM) - 5 Appearances. Average Rating - 7.00. Goals - 0
Lomana LuaLua (MR) - 15 Appearances. Average Rating - 7.17. Goals - 2
Vicente (ML) - 28 Appearances. Average Rating - 7.33. Goals - 9
Jamie Mackie (ST) - 30 Appearances. Average Rating - 7.49. Goals - 20
Craig Mackail-Smith (ST) 20 Appearances. Average Rating - 7.03. Goals - 7

Bhafc11

Nov 24, 2011
Wondering what were peoples biggest signing? Mine may have to be Petr Cech in my 3rd season. on a free. Now Man City want him and they are first.

WhingForPresident

NSC Patron
Feb 23, 2009
Marlborough
Wondering what were peoples biggest signing? Mine may have to be Petr Cech in my 3rd season. on a free. Now Man City want him and they are first.

I got Arturo Vidal, Andy Carroll and Jordan Henderson on free transfers in my fourth season. £50 million worth of players for nowt is always nice.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here