Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

The Official 99th Tour de France thread, 2012.

Stat Brother

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
West west west Sussex
Thanks for the heads up, I absolutely love the tour, but didn't know about this podcast.

I am still a bit surprised Wiggins is favourite, he and the team still have a lot to prove imo. Can't bloody wait
He's justifiably favourite.
You could even make a case for being the 6/5 favourite.
But anyone making that bet is insane.

Stat Brother

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
West west west Sussex
I guess it's time to start the business end of this thread:-

CARTE.jpg

PROFIL.jpg

Badger

NOT the Honey Badger
NSC Patron
May 8, 2007
Toronto
I went to watch one of the warm-up events in Liege a couple of months ago, not the most pleasant city I've ever been to.

D

Deleted member 22389

If some of you don't have that Luxury of British Eurosport, you can get Eurosport player for 4.99 a month on your PC. You can cancel anytime you like.
Player

It's an official player and not like that football streams thing you see advertised.

Just a case of streaming it to your TV then. I did this last year.

I know there is free coverage on ITV4 in the evenings. If you have a sat dish pointing at Hotbird you can watch German Europsort and the tour for free. Obviously downside is that comm is in German.

Last edited by a moderator:

Stat Brother

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
West west west Sussex
I haven't check the schedule but ITV4 last year had the live stage, with highlights in the evening.
I don't image that will change, esp this year.

D

Deleted member 22389

I haven't check the schedule but ITV4 last year had the live stage, with highlights in the evening.
I don't image that will change, esp this year.

If I remember it was just the weekends that they had the live stages. If they are doing this in the week that's a bonus. So glad that at least one channel in this country in giving The Tour some proper coverage.

Stat Brother

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
West west west Sussex
If I remember it was just the weekends that they had the live stages. If they are doing this in the week that's a bonus. So glad that at least one channel in this country in giving The Tour some proper coverage.
No they have been ever so slowly increasing their coverage.
I'm pretty sure they did all live stages last year.

They are again this year, 2-4:30, then the daily highlights 7-8.

Sean Kelly?
Phil and Paul all the way.

1066familyman

Radio User
Jan 15, 2008
ITV 4 are doing every stage live again this year. Some stages, will have more live coverage than others ( weekend ones and crucial mountain stages no doubt ). Only a shame that freesat don't have ITV4 in HD, but still not complaining.

Having got Eurosport player on my computer for the spring classics and the Giro, I'll be very glad indeed to hear Phil & Paul back again. I cancelled my Eurosport subscription once the Giro had finished, and luckily my last month just about covered the Criterium de Dauphiné too. Sean Kelly is ok as commentator, especially as I loved him as rider and so listening to him brings back memories, but the main man on Eurosport is bloody useless. I had it for £3.99 a month but when I cancelled it was down to £2.99. I'll certainly be getting it again next year for March, April and May.

I'll be doing the same as I did last year. Stuck at work all day so will set to record every stage live and then watch the whole thing back again in the evening, skipping the many advert breaks :)

Looking at the parcours for the prologue, I see it's quite technical with some nasty turns in there. I hope there's no rain to make a lottery of the thing. I haven't checked, but as Brad didn't finish Le Tour last year, I wonder what start position he's got? Obviously old frog face has the advantage of going last.

1066familyman

Radio User
Jan 15, 2008
Got my tour team sorted (early Saturday morning, LOL)

You've arrived safely then. Hope you had a good trip over. What's your tv coverage going to be like over there? Pretty good I can imagine as NZ & Aus seem to be coming on strong in cycling like us these days.

I still haven't changed my team from the one I picked on Monday. Will have to check again late tonight for no withdrawals and hope nothing upsets my apple cart in the morning as I've an early start for a kids footy tournament so won't be around a computer until later tomorrow.

Stat Brother

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
West west west Sussex
Got my tour team sorted (early Saturday morning, LOL)
Good to here from you, technology I don't understand is a wonderful thing.

Gwylan

Jul 5, 2003
Uffern
In related news, I see Lance Armstrong has been formally charged by the US anti-doping agency. Does that mean he could get stripped of his wins?

Really looking forward to it tomorrow - it's more of a highlight than the Euros.

Indurain's Lungs

Legend of Garry Nelson
Jun 22, 2010
Dorset
Cheers guys. TV over here is shocking in general, and there is naff all coverage on terrestrial. I think SKY Sports NZ has live coverage, but not seen highlights advertised anywhere yet.

Shame, there was a fair bit in oz on sbs. Wonder if you can get that?

Stat Brother

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
West west west Sussex
In related news, I see Lance Armstrong has been formally charged by the US anti-doping agency. Does that mean he could get stripped of his wins?

Really looking forward to it tomorrow - it's more of a highlight than the Euros.
It's kind of a civil case over here, where the burden of truth is less, he can lose the lot.

Worst still, at the moment, he is suspended from all competitions.
That's Lance's first ever suspension. He's been quite a tri-athlete recently.

I would love to know what George Hincapie said to the grand jury, as his evidence will be the hardest to discredit.

Pantani

Il Pirata
Dec 3, 2008
Newcastle
Cheers guys. TV over here is shocking in general, and there is naff all coverage on terrestrial. I think SKY Sports NZ has live coverage, but not seen highlights advertised anywhere yet.

Get yourself on Unblock-Us then you can just watch the ITV coverage at your leisure. They have a 7 day free trial at the moment too. I was using this while I was in Oz to watch the Euros and it is pretty much essential if you want to watch anything on iplayer etc.

Pantani

Il Pirata
Dec 3, 2008
Newcastle
Predictions time.

Yellow: Evans, Wiggins , Nibali in that order. I was really confident about Wiggins until yesterday when it occured to me that he really is stepping in to the unknown here. If Evans has the legs he will just have too much nous for him and he is always really strong in TTs at the end of tours, something we really are not that sure about Wiggins.

Green: Sagan

Polka Dot: some Frenchman who goes on a long attack early on gets loads of points then keeps doing the same for the entire tour, lets say Jeremy Roy, he likes that sort of thing.

Young Rider: Rein Taaramae, he's better at TTs than Rolland and will just be working for himself I presume, whereas Rolland will be helping Tommy.

Tim Over Whelmed

NSC Patron
Jul 24, 2007
Arundel
Oh wow, we're out this way at the moment, must see if it's going anywhere near Dol de Bretagne?

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here