Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

The Official 100th Tour de France thread, 2013.

Bold Seagull

strong and stable with me, or...
Mar 18, 2010
Hove
My take on it now is that Cav saw Veeler's deviation toward him and probably felt it was a bit of intentional aggression to disturb his attempt to get to Kittel. Of course Veeler actually deviated because he probably didn't realise Cav was there and was just looking round.

Cav then goes aggressive back thinking Veeler is playing the same game, but of course Veeler is completely unprepared for any contact whatsoever at that point.

Cav is then probably left thinking 'why is it always me'....

What I would say is to any football journalist who ever thought it was tough interviewing Sir Alex, well you need to harden people because that's like taking candy from a baby compared to interviewing Cav straight after a race!!!

1066familyman

Radio User
Jan 15, 2008
Just watched the stage back 'as live' as per usual but then went to the last 10 minutes or so of highlights show for feedback on the Cav/Veelers incident.

Personally I think Cav knew the minute he knocked Veelers off that he couldn't win the sprint:

a) because he's already left himself too much to do.

b) because even if he had made it there would be an appeal and he'd be given last place anyway.

That was why he effectively sat up with an "oh bollox!" expression, because he probably felt at the time he was at fault for misjudging it and coming across Veelers too early.

However, having watched back the sprint in the bus he sees that actually Veelers moved off the line so he comes out fighting knowing that technically he's done nothing wrong, but that the jouno's questions will be framed to make him seem to be in the wrong. Him saying he "wasn't going to allow himself to be pushed into the barriers" sort of gives the game away I think as that was never going to happen anyway. Over egged that particular omelette.

End of the day I think it's just one of those incidents where no one's shown any intent and you could possibly make a case for either side if you insisted on apportioning blame. So 50/50 I'd say but techincallly Cav did nothing wrong. Of course, Kittel winning the stage means Argos themselves were never going to complain and Lotto had no reason to appeal either. All good fun though (except Lobato then bottled it when he went around a sprawled Veelers and so sat out of the sprint :( ).

1066familyman

Radio User
Jan 15, 2008
*****Betting alert!*****

I see William Hill have both Rui Costa and Roman Kreuziger @ 100/1 for tomorrow's TT. Probably get better odds elsewhere too as William Hill seem particularly tight on most odds.

For Rui Costa especially I reckon that's pretty good for an eachway bet. Probably be Martin followed by Froome but the rest could be a bit of a lottery and Rui Costa is going very well at the moment. Also, as an outside chance - Kreuziger is looking stronger than Contador at the mo and will be looking to edge up GC tomorrow and he's no mug at a time trial.

Edit: Unfortunately each way terms on the above are 1/5 rather than the usual 1/4, so not quite as good as first expected.

Last edited:

Stat Brother

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
West west west Sussex
July 10, Stage 11: Avranches - Mont-Saint-Michel (ITT) 33km

stage_11_map_600_1_670.jpg

stage_11_profile_600_1_670.jpg

Clearly Martin will win, he wouldn't have gone through all that pain, without a stage win incentive.
Froome should smash a place probably 2.
I'm gonna say Mr Scrabble from OPQS, he might be young but he's been riding very well and very fast.

1066familyman

Radio User
Jan 15, 2008
Mr. Scrabble big points had his nose out in the wind much more than I was hoping for today to be honest. Fair enough, he wanted to be at the front with the GC boys keeping out of trouble, and did his train turn nearing the final 3km, but had to flick that elbow quite a few times before Martin I think it was came through for his go. But yes, he'll be strong tomorrow still no doubt ( 18/1 on WH currently), but was it youthful exuberance that wouldn't allow himself more of a rest today I wonder?

Stat Brother

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
West west west Sussex
Tight fisted Skybet have Costa at 250/1.

Or Froome @ 7/2.

and I have £2 in my account!!

Teejay is 100/1
Can Peter Velits TT? (200/1)

Scratch that, those are win only odds, can find any e/w money.

Last edited:

1066familyman

Radio User
Jan 15, 2008
Tight fisted Skybet have Costa at 250/1.

Or Froome @ 7/2.

and I have £2 in my account!!

Teejay is 100/1
Can Peter Velits TT? (200/1)

First the 'home entertainment package', now the betting account. They've got you good and proper :nono:

Mind you, them odds are outrageously generous!

Bloody link offer got me onto the tight fisted bookies :(, but thankfully I've been lucky enough so far not to ever top it up but just keep using previous winnings.

Stat Brother

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
West west west Sussex
First the 'home entertainment package', now the betting account. They've got you good and proper :nono:

Mind you, them odds are outrageously generous!

Bloody link offer got me onto the tight fisted bookies :(, but thankfully I've been lucky enough so far not to ever top it up but just keep using previous winnings.
No Sky are shocking too, that's the only reason I kept the account going after the NSC's Finest coup.
Paddy Power and Stan James seem to like a gamble.

I'm sure I've saved more money by not liking the odds and not betting.

1066familyman

Radio User
Jan 15, 2008
No Sky are shocking too, that's the only reason I kept the account going after the NSC's Finest coup.
Paddy Power and Stan James seem to like a gamble.

I'm sure I've saved more money by not liking the odds and not betting.

'tis true enough about others' generosity and that the best place for your money is in your pocket. However, 250/1 for Rui Costa tomorrow seems very generous indeed to me as he's form is very good (granted, that Tour de Suisse TT was a completely different parcours to tomorrow).

Stat Brother

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
West west west Sussex
You could make a case for G, by virtue of his TTT performance but more so because he's off first(ish).

The course being smack bang on the coast G could potentially have very different wind condition to CF.

teaboy

Jul 5, 2003
My house
You could make a case for G, by virtue of his TTT performance but more so because he's off first(ish).

The course being smack bang on the coast G could potentially have very different wind condition to CF.

But can he actually ride? I suspect not, and he'll nurse himself through to the Alps hoping to be of some use next week.

Stat Brother

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
West west west Sussex
But can he actually ride? I suspect not, and he'll nurse himself through to the Alps hoping to be of some use next week.
Of course, he'll not be asked to make a big effort.
He was just the first name that came to mind of the early starters.

Tyrone Biggums

Jun 25, 2006
Geelong, Australia
TJ VG isn't a bad shout for a top 3 finish. BMC have been woeful thus far so you'd think they'd want to put up a bit of a showing in the TT to show they are still actually at the tour.

Bold Seagull

Mar 18, 2010
Hove
I think Omega are going to being feeling like righting some of their own wrongs today. 1. T Martin, 2. C Froome, 3. M Kwiatkowski

D

Deleted member 22389

Last year I seem to recall Cavendish had two or three SKY riders supporting him right to the end of each race. On the sprint stages of this tour I have not seem the same sort of support. Is the support not needed so they can shield him and set him up for the final sprint?

Postman Pat

Jul 24, 2007
Coldean
BBC reporting that urine thrown at Cav during the time trial today.

Sad news.

Matt Slater, BBC sports news reporter at Mont Saint Michel
"I've just had it confirmed that somebody threw urine at Mark Cavendish during today's stage."

Bold Seagull

Mar 18, 2010
Hove
BBC reporting that urine thrown at Cav during the time trial today.

Sad news.

Matt Slater, BBC sports news reporter at Mont Saint Michel
"I've just had it confirmed that somebody threw urine at Mark Cavendish during today's stage."

He could have defused the whole thing last night, instead of his prickly defensive interview, he should straight away have said he hoped Veeler's was okay, that he was sure the crash wasn't his fault, but nevertheless concerned for his fellow rider. Instead, and let's be fair about this, he acted like a dick.

Totally out of order if what has happened has happened, but there you go, put yourself in the firing line and shit* happens.

* or piss

teaboy

Jul 5, 2003
My house
I've just re-watched the finish from yesterday, and cannot see how Cavendish could've done anything about it. The interview wasn't great, but he'd just heard he would've been relegated if he'd won so was narked about that before the questions started. I know when I'm stressed I can be a dick about stuff that wouldn't bother me otherwise, and I hope this is a similar situation. He does ask who went down, and said he hopes he's ok.

Racing incident - nothing to see here - move on.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here