Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

***The Offical Match Day Thread BHA v Brentford***

I think it's unarguable that the squad is weaker than in previous seasons, however you do have to question how we only won 3 league games in half a season under Hyypia and in the last two games we have beaten two Championship clubs. Especially considering today we were without most of the loanees Sami had at his disposal.

I would just refer you to what NSC was saying after we beat Leeds and Bolton in a week.

It's way too small a sample of games.

The mediocrity of the players ground down that initial flash of optimism for Sami - do we want to make the same mistake twice?

Skylar

Banned
Jul 29, 2014
I think it's unarguable that the squad is weaker than in previous seasons, however you do have to question how we only won 3 league games in half a season under Hyypia and in the last two games we have beaten two Championship clubs. Especially considering today we were without most of the loanees Sami had at his disposal.

What is scary is the board backed Hyypia and Hyypia had their full backing. Goes to show our suits no funk all.

SULLY COULDNT SHOOT

Loyal2Family+Albion!
Sep 28, 2004
Izmir, Southern Turkey
I would just refer you to what NSC was saying after we beat Leeds and Bolton in a week.

The mediocrity of the players ground down that initial flash of optimism for Sami - do we want to make the same mistake twice?

You just want to spoil the mood don't you! grrrr!!!

No, you are right. More time is needed and really we are in no position to judge Chris and the team at this early stage but at least there is some optimism now and that's good. Let's really judge Chris and Sami later in the season... but for now... we've just won a game we didn't expect to win so HUGHTON!!!! FOOTBALL GENIUS!!!! ;)

spring hall convert

Nov 3, 2009
Brighton
That's what CoG was bought for, wasn't it? To be an option, I don't understand why Hyypia didn't see that. Just put him on top of the centre backs and he'll make a nuisance out of himself.

That Burke knew how to spot a player :rolleyes:

Last edited:

stss30

Apr 24, 2008

Of course it's a way too small sample of games. But I still think we should give Hughton a chance to work with the current squad before diving into the transfer market. He needs to identify the strengths/weaknesses in his mind and as I said previously different players work better for different managers. In my opinion it was clear Hyypia was out of his depth tactically in several games.

GT49er

NSC Patron
Feb 1, 2009
Gloucester
I'm still very much in the second school of thought. A few good results is no reason to sit on our hands thinking it'll all be alright on the night. Great to see us pick up some decent results before the January window even opened, now we just need to build on that with some well thought out additions.

I'm still very much in the second school of thought too. The squad isn't nearly as good as in previous seasons, but I think, maybe with the addition of a couple of good loans, it is good enough to keep us above 22nd, which what this sorry season is all about now. Then, once CH has really got settled in, go for it in the summer.

Triggaaar

Oct 24, 2005
Goldstone
you do have to question how we only won 3 league games in half a season under Hyypia and in the last two games we have beaten two Championship clubs.
I don't completely disagree, but it sounded like we were very lucky not to be losing at half time today, we were woeful. Eventually luck evens itself out, but we may have been lucky today, whereas I think there were games earlier in the season where we had none (which led to a loss of confidence, and Sami wasn't good enough to turn it around).

Of course it's a way too small sample of games. But I still think we should give Hughton a chance to work with the current squad before diving into the transfer market. He needs to identify the strengths/weaknesses in his mind and as I said previously different players work better for different managers. In my opinion it was clear Hyypia was out of his depth tactically in several games.

It will be a big gamble not to take opportunities in this window. Our position in the table is still too precarious in my view, and the euphoria of two wins for me doesn't wipe that out. As Mickey said, fail to prepare...?

el_ciddy

Aug 26, 2011
O'Grady being very honest in his interview, sounds like a thoroughly decent chap. Best of luck to him whatever happens.

stss30

Apr 24, 2008
It will be a big gamble not to take opportunities in this window. Our position in the table is still too precarious in my view, and the euphoria of two wins for me doesn't wipe that out. As Mickey said, fail to prepare...?

I still think we need to improve in certain areas but not the massive overhaul some posters were/are suggesting.

GT49er

NSC Patron
Feb 1, 2009
Gloucester
I still think we need to improve in certain areas but not the massive overhaul some posters were/are suggesting.

This, in order to keep us up this season. But I still think the squad is mid-table at best, so a considerable overhaul will be needed in the summer (that's if we still are living the dream.....).

A mex eyecan

Nov 3, 2011
Listening to his interview I think he has pressure on him from his family not settling down here, and that makes life tougher. It may well be that even if we do really want to keep him family issues may well lead to him wanting away.

stss30

Apr 24, 2008
I don't completely disagree, but it sounded like we were very lucky not to be losing at half time today, we were woeful. Eventually luck evens itself out, but we may have been lucky today, whereas I think there were games earlier in the season where we had none (which led to a loss of confidence, and Sami wasn't good enough to turn it around).

Problem under Sami was when we went a goal ahead we shut up shop and an equalizer seemed almost inevitable, also our defensive tactics seemed very odd, especially at the start of the season (fullbacks pushing miles forward leaving the CBs dreadfully exposed). Maybe we did ride our luck today, but how many times under Poyet/Garcia did we defend ardently for most of the match then nicked a goal on the counter/set piece? I was just never convinced Hyypia had the nous to set up a defence for regular clean sheets.

dazzer6666

NSC Patron
Mar 27, 2013
Burgess Hill
...and it sounded very much like Hughton saw what was happening and made pointed changes to counter it that actually worked. I don't remember that happening this season.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here