Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Politics] The NSC 'up all night' election night *** OFFICIAL MATCH THREAD ***

Audax

Boing boing boing...
Aug 3, 2015
Uckfield
Veering further to the right is what the Tories DO need to do. They've been far to close to the centre with high taxation and a failure to address the wokeism destroying our country.
Please define "wokeism". Because in my world, the coining of the term "woke" was done so that certain abhorrent people with indefensible extreme views could attack what would otherwise be unassailable concepts.

For me, being "woke" is all about treating everyone with respect (until they prove through their own actions they don't deserve it), giving everyone an equitable opportunity to do their best and have a chance at a decent life, opposing hate (in particular hate based on reasoning that is nonsensical, such as skin colour or sexual identity or physical imperfection) ... in other words being woke is about being an empathetic and inclusive individual.

The last 5 years of culture wars being stoked by accusing the "woke" of holding the country back is biggest pile of steaming bull and horse "apples" I've ever come across. All of it invented by creating a new term to refer to views that are un-attackable so that you can then attack them. :angry: :mad:

BN41Albion

Oct 1, 2017
Please define "wokeism". Because in my world, the coining of the term "woke" was done so that certain abhorrent people with indefensible extreme views could attack what would otherwise be unassailable concepts.

For me, being "woke" is all about treating everyone with respect (until they prove through their own actions they don't deserve it), giving everyone an equitable opportunity to do their best and have a chance at a decent life, opposing hate (in particular hate based on reasoning that is nonsensical, such as skin colour or sexual identity or physical imperfection) ... in other words being woke is about being an empathetic and inclusive individual.

The last 5 years of culture wars being stoked by accusing the "woke" of holding the country back is biggest pile of steaming bull and horse "apples" I've ever come across. All of it invented by creating a new term to refer to views that are un-attackable so that you can then attack them. :angry: :mad:

Of course that's what 'wokeism' is, if that's what they want to call those who believe in fairness, empathy, etc. Its a term to give closed minded pricks who clearly don't believe in progress in society and equality for all (and more than likely a tad - or very much - racist) a label to try to tar those who don't agree with them with, whilst we have 'racist', 'xenophobic', 'homophobic' etc .

I'd love to know how wokeism in goldstone's mind is 'destroying the country'

Herr Tubthumper

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
The Fatherland
Professor Sir John Curtice on 5Live earlier this morning expressed the view that Labour didn't win, the Tories lost and bigtime.

In 2019, Labour got 10,269,051 votes, which was 32.!%.
Thus far, Labour have 9,650,254 votes, which is 33.8%.

I guess what we don't know is to what extent people moved their votes around in a way that largely cancelled out others doing the same, but it's difficult to get away from the view that Reform voters handed Labour a large number of seats.
So Labour have gone from significant defeat to landslide victory on roughly the same numbers. This to me, is another reason why we need to get rid of FPTP.

Titanic

Super Moderator
Helpful Moderator
Jul 5, 2003
West Sussex
So Labour have gone from significant defeat to landslide victory on roughly the same numbers. This to me, is another reason why we need to get rid of FPTP.

I realise people may have voted differently under PR.... but would you really want 221 Labour, 156 Tories, 91 Faragists and 78 Libs in the HoC ?

Sid and the Sharknados

NSC Patron
Sep 4, 2022
Darlington
Would you really want 221 Labour, 156 Tories and 91 Faragists in the HoC ?
I don't think it's useful to directly translate the result in that way. Partly because there are plenty of much better and more representative systems that don't directly link national vote percentage to number of seats, but mainly because there's no reason to think that people would vote the same way if there were a significant chance of their vote impacting the result.

KZNSeagull

Nov 26, 2007
Wolsingham, County Durham
I don't think it's useful to directly translate the result in that way. Partly because there are plenty of much better and more representative systems that don't directly link national vote percentage to number of seats, but mainly because there's no reason to think that people would vote the same way if there were a significant chance of their vote impacting the result.
And with a bit of luck you wouldn't get 40% of the electorate not bothering to vote.

Deportivo Seagull

I should coco
Jul 22, 2003
Mid Sussex
Veering further to the right is what the Tories DO need to do. They've been far too close to the centre with high taxation and a failure to address the wokeism destroying our country.
They taxed the living shit out of us due to wanton greed as they filled their pockets. That is not what a centre conservative government would do. That’s what corrupt chancers and grifters do and given half a chance what reform would do. It’s a plain as the nose on my face and for those of you that know me, they’ll confirm that I fall into the ‘ who hit you .. Goliath big brother?’ when it comes to big noses.

Last edited:

hans kraay fan club

The voice of reason.
Helpful Moderator
Mar 16, 2005
Chandlers Ford
Not 'of impacting the result' but voting differently because it would 'impact the result DIFFERENTLY'.

Our household of four would all have voted Labour under any form of PR. We all voted LibDem, in a close run local vote to oust the Tory.

There were IMO millions in a similar boat.

seagullsovergrimsby

#cpfctinpotclub
Aug 21, 2005
Crap Town
Are the Independent pro Hamas MPs going to sit alongside Corbyn ?

Guinness Boy

Tofu eating wokerati
Helpful Moderator
NSC Patron
Jul 23, 2003
Up and Coming Sunny Portslade

You won't get an answer.

@goldstone is a silly, reactionary old man whose modus operandi is to come on here, write a one liner that he knows will outrage NSC and then hide, possibly in a fridge, when challenged.

Been like that for years. Very boring.

Gabbiano

Dec 18, 2017
Spank the Manc
@Eeyore voted for Larry the Cat. Not sure that cat power will bring about PR!
Protesting by spoiling the ballot paper is really the most utterly pointless exercise in self-aggrandisement.

Your vote for Count Wankula wont bring about change. The only person who will even see it is Susan, who normally works in the HR department at the council, while she moves your ballot into the "oh aren't they clever" pile.

Machiavelli

Oct 11, 2013
Fiveways
Of course that's what 'wokeism' is, if that's what they want to call those who believe in fairness, empathy, etc. Its a term to give closed minded pricks who clearly don't believe in progress in society and equality for all (and more than likely a tad - or very much - racist) a label to try to tar those who don't agree with them with, whilst we have 'racist', 'xenophobic', 'homophobic' etc .

I'd love to know how wokeism in goldstone's mind is 'destroying the country'
wokeism, of course, has to be used alongside 'SJW'. That's a social justice warrior to the uninitiated. As deployed by social injustice warriors.

borat

Jul 16, 2003
I agree he could have done more to root out antisemitism in the party (although again I think this is largely a myth - didn't the official investigation find it was almost non-existent?). He certainly should have been more unequivocal when he was questioned about it, and this did him no favours.

Due to him speaking out about the apartheid state of Israel, no words would have been sufficient to satisfy his critics.

It was/is a cynical and depressing weaponisation of a serious issue for political ends. Unfortunately it worked.

Herr Tubthumper

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
The Fatherland
I realise people may have voted differently under PR.... but would you really want 221 Labour, 156 Tories, 91 Faragists and 78 Libs in the HoC ?
I have said before, I don’t have an issue with this. I far prefer every vote to have meaning and I think PR is a more fair version of democracy.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here