Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Politics] The NSC 'up all night' election night *** OFFICIAL MATCH THREAD ***

Nobby Cybergoat

Jul 19, 2021
think I'll catch the 10pm exit poll, go to sleep and then get up at 4ish for when it's all properly in FULL SWING
Mate, I think this has got to be the strategy.

Though I could be too pumped to sleep after seeing the exit polls. I'm considering, trying to forget it's happening, going to bed at about 9pm and getting up at 3 or 4am

GT49er

NSC Patron
Feb 1, 2009
Gloucester
Yes, Rory Stewart is a very smart and very shrewd observer and I think it is pretty much an open secret that he is a former MI6 operator. It was an interesting observation he (and Alastair Campbell) made last night that we are on the cusp millions upon millions of people about to vote for what they don't want rather than actively endorsing a government that they do want - and an incoming PM with historically low popularity ratings.

Hopefully Starmer has the foresight to realise that the majority he is about to secure is not a necessarily a popular mandate for his programme but more of a national protest vote against the current government.

Interesting times ahead.
Good post, generally agree, but re: 'millions of people about to vote for what they don't want rather than actively endorsing a government that they do want' - sadly that's nothing new; it's been that way for years!

happypig

Staring at the rude boys
May 23, 2009
Eastbourne

kevo

Mar 8, 2008
I wish they would ban exit polls. Takes half the fun out of it, as you more or less know the exact outcome at 10pm. Have there been any examples where they've been way out?

Not many results come in between 10 and 2am, it's a bit of a dead time. So I'm thinking of having a nap then and getting up about 2.

Hugo Rune

NSC Patron
Feb 23, 2012
Brighton
I wish they would ban exit polls. Takes half the fun out of it, as you more or less know the exact outcome at 10pm. Have there been any examples where they've been way out?

Not many results come in between 10 and 2am, it's a bit of a dead time. So I'm thinking of having a nap then and getting up about 2.
There was on in ‘92 I think on the BBC.

However, Sir John was very defensive about this on Newsnight when they were discussing it recently. He said the BBC editor of the election coverage took their inconclusive data and spun it to an almost concrete conclusion against their wishes.

Eeyore

Colonel Hee-Haw of Queen's Park
NSC Patron
Apr 5, 2014
There was on in ‘92 I think on the BBC.

However, Sir John was very defensive about this on Newsnight when they were discussing it recently. He said the BBC editor of the election coverage took their inconclusive data and spun it to an almost concrete conclusion against their wishes.
'92 was wrong. I think they predicted NOM with the Tories as the largest party. I think it's been pretty accurate since. Although this time round I think the tactical voting and local variations may be a test for the abacus.

I said 'I think' a lot there.

seagullsovergrimsby

#cpfctinpotclub
Aug 21, 2005
Crap Town
The wife has got my tube of Original Pringles out of the cupboard a day early.

Nobby

Sep 29, 2007
It’s the first time for the party where absolute selfish tunnel vision for an ideology (the Truss, JRM, IDS, Villiers types), failing to see the woods for the trees, has led to the almost complete destruction of their parliamentary party. 365 seats will become circa 100. There’ll be virtually no one left to select the next shadow cabinet from.

Famously, the Tories were always savvy at ameliorating bad positions.

Some can be blamed on the cost of Covid, global inflation and interest rates. Putin’s wars and energy cost. But not all.

Truss, JRM, IDS, Villiers have literally handed the keys to a government they’ll despise, possibly for two terms or more. Unable to give and take, moderate positions. Unbelievably thick. The calibre of these people.
You missed out Flopsy. Surely a bit of the blame lies with him - lies being the important word there.

Nobby

Sep 29, 2007
Anyone know what time the counts for the Tory big guns will be out
Need to get some sleep at some stage 😃 but would love to see Mogg Truss et al being kicked out.

kevo

Mar 8, 2008
Anyone know what time the counts for the Tory big guns will be out
Need to get some sleep at some stage 😃 but would love to see Mogg Truss et al being kicked out.
There was a list published somewhere... if I remember I'll post it. Truss is fairly safe, I think..
EDIT - this has got some of them:

kevo

Mar 8, 2008
bingo3.PNG

Weststander

NSC Patron
Aug 25, 2011
Withdean area
We’ve got loads of snack in special. I’ve already got g&t, beers in the house, but liquor may cause drowsiness, so will probably opt for caffeine based drinks.

Made me laugh when Munchetty & a political journalist were going over their election night choices … hers were Jaffa Cakes, Cheddars and some other nice stuff. The other bod was going for healthy options.

Worried Man Blues

Feb 28, 2009
Swansea
We’ve got loads of snack in special. I’ve already got g&t, beers in the house, but liquor may cause drowsiness, so will probably opt for caffeine based drinks.

Made me laugh when Munchetty & a political journalist were going over their election night choices … hers were Jaffa Cakes, Cheddars and some other nice stuff. The other bod was going for healthy options.
I can recommend the Badger coffee stout covers both !! Also gone for Dorito's tangy cheese and those Tyrell veg type crisps way better than I thought they would be.

Weststander

NSC Patron
Aug 25, 2011
Withdean area
I can recommend the Badger coffee stout covers both !! Also gone for Dorito's tangy cheese and those Tyrell veg type crisps way better than I thought they would be.

So far:
Mini cans of diet coke
Tapas meat selection
Peppered crackers
Choc peanuts
Choc raisins
Cadburys Crunchie Rocks
2 types of Pringles

I may have the company of my 19 year daughter for spellls.

But plan to show restraint …. the RSCH won’t be fixed by Friday :smile: .

Will channel surf, but (as a normally non ITV person) it’ll be ITV … they do it so well, less stiff.

A1X

NSC Patron
Sep 1, 2017
Deepest, darkest Sussex
There was a list published somewhere... if I remember I'll post it. Truss is fairly safe, I think..
EDIT - this has got some of them:

Truss is fairly safe on a uniform swing, which is all that the pollsters can really work on, but there might be more local things at play. Someone like Liz Truss, for instance, could galvanise a strong opposition showing purely because she’s Liz Truss and the person responsible in the eyes of most. Similarly some Tories with smaller majorities than her will likely survive because they’re either good constituency MPs (which, FWIW, I believe should always be encouraged and rewarded) or so boring nobody knows who they are.

Bodian

May 3, 2012
Cumbria

kevo

Mar 8, 2008
So rather than an 'all-nighter', it's pretty safe to turn in after the exit polls - then get up at 3am for the carnage.

That's what I'm thinking of doing... just not sure about sleeping from 10-2 and then getting up and hitting the booze!

Change at Barnham

Aug 6, 2011
Bognor Regis
I reckon this line-up will get my viewing vote.
Hopefully Maitlis, Campbell and Stewart shred Dorries in a manner that she deserves.

Channel 4
After years of providing “alternative” election night coverage featuring comedians, this year, Channel 4 is going straight. It is pitching at viewers who want political analysis and embracing centrist dads by leaning into the news podcast market. Emily Maitlis from the News Agents will host alongside Channel 4 News’s own Krishnan Guru-Murthy and Cathy Newman, with analysis from Alastair Campbell and Rory Stewart of The Rest Is Politics podcast. A late addition to the lineup is the ex-Tory minister Nadine Dorries, who unsuccessfully tried to privatise the channel and claimed it was biased towards the left.

GT49er

NSC Patron
Feb 1, 2009
Gloucester
Almost certainly the most predictable - and therefore the least interesting - GE in my lifetime. Hoping for a good sleep; nice dreams would be a bonus!

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here