My quick and easy pasta sauce;

1 pack pancetta cubes
1 onion, finely diced
1 garlic clove crushed
1 can chopped tomatoes
1 splodge tomato puree
Good dash of worcestershire sauce
1/2 tsp smoked paprika
1/2 teaspoon dried herbs (oregano or mixed)

In a small saucpan fry the pancetta until it is crispy. It will cook in its own fat. Reserve the crispy pancetta (try not to eat too much)Soften the onion and garlic in the fat from the pancetta then add the remaining ingredients and simmer for 30 mins until thickened. Add the sauce to your cooked pasta and mix in the crisp pancetta cubes plus salt and pepper to taste( although you wont need much salt beacuse of the pancetta). Serve with a grating of parmesan.

auschr

Apr 19, 2009
USA
get a large onion, 5 carrots, 5 celery stalks, chop them up.
throw in some spuds
get a beef cube/beefstock w/e put into slow cooker
add veg
get a cheap peice of meat
throw some good spices on it
sear it
throw some herbs in the pot
throw meat in pot
cook for 6-12 hours until meat is cooked

The Large One

Who's Next?
Jul 7, 2003
97.2FM
Chop up a large onion, some bacon and chillies, and lightly fry in olive oil. After five minutes, add some chopped garlic. Add a can of pinto, kidney, black-eyed beans (or cheaper still, a 500g packet of soaked kidney beans) and a can of tomatoes. Flavour with salt, pepper, cayenne and paprika.

Simmer for 30-40 mins.

Springal

Feb 12, 2005
GOSBTS
Chop up a large onion, some bacon and chillies, and lightly fry in olive oil. After five minutes, add some chopped garlic. Add a can of pinto, kidney, black-eyed beans (or cheaper still, a 500g packet of soaked kidney beans) and a can of tomatoes. Flavour with salt, pepper, cayenne and paprika.

Simmer for 30-40 mins.

This mans fajita reciepe, so good it made it into the girlfriends make shift reciepe folder thing!

Springal

Feb 12, 2005
GOSBTS
If you invest in a good store cupboard full of ingredients you can go a long way with £5 a meal !

jevs

Mar 24, 2004
Preston Rock Garden
I would imagine that a lot of what you can "knock up" will depend on what types of condiments are in your cupboards.

I always keep lots of dried herbs, spices and rubs as well as stuff like worcester sauce, teriyaki sauce, soy sauce, sweet chilli dipping sauce, "very lazy" garlic, chilli and ginger, white wine vinegar, balsamic vinegar, an assortment of curry and thai curry pastes, tomato and garlic puree, mustard, lemon and lime juice, honey and loads more.

That way, simple things like chicken thighs or breasts can be brought alive just by adding some teriyaki sauce for example or pork chops are superb with chinese five spice rubbed into them and grilled.

Don't forget cheats too....i always keep tins of chopped tomatoes for curries, cream of tomato soup for tikka massala and cream and white wine soup makes a superb sauce for chicken.

Once you decided on what you want, i often use tagliatelle or egg noodles as an accompanyment....usually, once cooked, i put them in with the main food and they suck up all the flavours of the sauces.

A simple curry using whatever meat you like...i prefer chicken, can cost very little. Just stir-fry the chicken in a few spoonfulls of the pakats pastes and then add a small tub of greek yoghurt and allow to cook. Server with pilau rice (rice, cooked with cardamon pods, cumin seeds and cloves), If you have the paste, rice and spices, you only have to buy the chicken and yoghurt.

Good luck

Taybha

Whalewhine
Oct 8, 2008
Uwantsumorwat
half a pound of crayfish tails from pauls fishmongers in seaford = £3

loaf of freshly baked tiger bread = 99p

pack of kerrygold butter = £1

spread butter on bread , wrap bread around crayfish tails , sorted :thumbsup:

putty in your hands with change from a fiver

Superphil

Dismember
Jul 7, 2003
In a pile of football shirts
Chicken Jalfreizi
(Roughly based on recipe in my old ‘Indian Regional Cooking’ book by Sumana Ray)

2 Chicken Breasts
1 Onion
Clove of Garlic
1, 2 or 3 fresh chillies
Ground Cumin
Ground Coriander
Ground Turmeric
1 Tomato
Tomato Ketchup
Handful frozen vegetables.

Chop and fry onions and garlic in oil till soft.
Add chopped chillies
Add chicken breasts and fry till slightly browned
Add Cumin, Corriander & Tumeric
Add a little water (not too much)
Stir it up a bit
Cook for 10 minutes
Add tablespoon of tomato ketchup and handful of mixed frozen vegetables, cook for 2 or 3 more minutes.
Cut tomato into quarters and add.
Stir it up a bit more and then serve.

Do it for under a fiver, no problems. Add a bit of rice, and a blob of mangle chunkney and you’re away.

It’s in a book I’ve had for years, ‘Indian Regional Cooking’, book is packed for a move right now, but that is basically the gist of it.

Feb 5, 2009
brighton
how about a nice chicken chow mein!
2x chicken breast,,
2xblue dragon garlic and ginger soya sauce packets,£1.08 for both
2 cloves of garlic,35p for a whole garlic
2-3 x chillis,50p for a mix pack
fresh beansprouts,50p
a packet of medium sharwoods/blue dragon noodles£1.10 serves 2
spring onion

2xchx breast and dice them fry them in a wok with a bit of oil,
add 2 cloves of garlic,and depending how spicey you want it 2-3 chillis,then add 1x blue dragon garlic and ginger soya sauce cook them all together,when cooked put that into a bowl to the side,
add another tablespoon of oil add the beansprouts fry them for a minute or so,when cooked add them to the bowl on the side with the chicken in,
then add another tablespoon of oil to the wok and add the noodles and cook for a minute and then add the other soya sauce to the noodles.
when cooked add all the food in the bowl to the wok and add spring onions stir and mix then ready to serve!!
f***ing lovley and all for a fiver!!

sam86

Feb 18, 2009
how about a nice chicken chow mein!
2x chicken breast,,
2xblue dragon garlic and ginger soya sauce packets,£1.08 for both
2 cloves of garlic,35p for a whole garlic
2-3 x chillis,50p for a mix pack
fresh beansprouts,50p
a packet of medium sharwoods/blue dragon noodles£1.10 serves 2
spring onion

Where do you get two chicken breasts for about £1.50, and are you sure it's chicken? :lolol:

Springal

Feb 12, 2005
GOSBTS
Where do you get two chicken breasts for about £1.50, and are you sure it's chicken? :lolol:

M&S usually do their decent ones, where if you buy 2 bags of 4 for £10

Mr Smggles

May 11, 2009
Winchester
Meat balls.

Chop and fry an onion
Mix the fried onion with raw mince and add cumin.
Fry meat balls until brown on each side.
Put meat balls in a dish and pour over cannellini beans.
Pour over pasta sauce and grate cheese.
In oven 30mins at 180.
Once 20 mins up boil some rice (should take around 10 mins)

Cooked it about 2 hours ago :p

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here