Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

The North Stand (Goldstone) "surges"

D'Angelo Saxon

SW19ULLS
Jul 30, 2004
SW19
This :) tempted to chain meself to the railings afterwards!

As someone above said, they weren't that dangerous. Not as dangerous as noshing at a metal gig and they haven't banned that, have they?

Seems a little dangerous to be engaging in oral sex at a metal gig though...

Marc

Jul 6, 2003
being of petit frame I always got shitscared when surges started, I remember being crushed up against the barrier one game, then the GENIUS in me some games later quickly ducked under the barrier into Clean Air....of course I could've hit my head but I survived!

ady1973

Jul 27, 2008
New Milton
Surges were fantastic.....loved them.....That was going to football at the age of 14-16 was all about. Just so glad I experienced them.
The kids today have no-idea what went on before them.The planning that went on pre-match, where you were going to stand, knowing who started them and standing close enough to enjoy yet far enough not to get too hurt, making sure you had your back to one of those blue barriers. You only leaned up against them once, you learnt pretty quickly why no-one else was leaning up against them , especially if you were in the centre of the goal about half way back.
It's a pitty the kids are wrapped up in cotton-wool these days we learnt by our experiences not by a guy in a yellow/orange jacket telling us what we can and can not do.If it hurt, we weren't going do that again in a hurry....simples

Arthritic Toe

Nov 25, 2005
Swindon
The old North Stand was pretty safe. Just about the right number of barriers, but enough gaps to allow surges that weren't going to hurt anyone other than the odd bruise.

Drumstick

NORTHSTANDER
Jul 19, 2003
Peacehaven
It's a pitty the kids are wrapped up in cotton-wool these days we learnt by our experiences not by a guy in a yellow/orange jacket telling us what we can and can not do.If it hurt, we weren't going do that again in a hurry....simples

:thumbsup: SIMPLE LOGIC, You sound like my dad!

At 21 can't remember much of 'the good ol days' but I do remember smacking my head against a metal pole on a terrace. Still feel the pain to this day if I think about it....then again that might just be thinking:laugh:

BRIGHT ON Q

Jul 5, 2003
Amazing times.It was every man for himself,If you fell over look out!

hopkins

Banned
Nov 6, 2003
Brighton
Nobody ever got hurt ay ?
(crude copy & paste from previous replies)

*smacking my head against a metal pole on a terrace. Still feel the pain to this day if I think about it
*only time i was ever scared. couldn't breathe for a while
*crushed against a barrier - coudlnt breath
*ended up with several broken ribs after being crushed against a fence
*older brothers mate doing his leg in after deano's free kick against ipswich

I loved the terraces but to say they couldnt be dangerous is bollox. When i fell over after deanos goal against ipswich i had about 20 bodies fall on me and that scared the shit out of me. Ironically that wouldnt have happened had they kept the fences up after hillsborough.

Happy days though ay

Nobody ever got hurt ay ?
(crude copy & paste from previous replies)

*smacking my head against a metal pole on a terrace. Still feel the pain to this day if I think about it
*only time i was ever scared. couldn't breathe for a while
*crushed against a barrier - coudlnt breath
*ended up with several broken ribs after being crushed against a fence
*older brothers mate doing his leg in after deano's free kick against ipswich

yeah sounds terrible (if it had all happened to the same person!) but the fact is there were also a lot of 'men' in that end who didn't start crying if they got an elbow in their back (or indeed if someone had pissed down the back of their leg) I was in the thick of the North Stand surges from the age of about 12 (1979) until they stopped (around 1988) presumably due to people scratching a finger nail or having their toes stood on. nothing much hapened to me, except (boo hoo) losing a Winfield trainer when Maybank got his third against Cardiff

seagullsovergrimsby

#cpfctinpotclub
Aug 21, 2005
Crap Town
No Health & Safety in those days , you learnt from experience which saved you from being trampled in a surge.

Stand at the back of the stand and watch from afar...worked for me.

wellquickwoody

Many More Voting Years
NSC Patron
Aug 10, 2007
Melbourne
Have to say that, much as the old North Stand was my emotional home, compared to a 'BIG' home end it was vey lightweight.

The North Bank at Highbury, which I went to very rarely when the Albion were oop north, was a real surge monster. The best analogy I can try to imagine would be a warm, friendly hug off of half a dozen mates (North Stand), to being hit by a steamtrain (North Bank)!

Sorry but true, and will never be seen again due to those S****e idiots.

Cappers

Deano's right one
Jun 3, 2010
Hove
Away at Peterborough in FA Cup circa 1986 I think. Worst/best one been in. Started off one end, ended up in other and back again several times

Peter Grummit

Oct 13, 2004
Lewes
Away at Peterborough in FA Cup circa 1986 I think. Worst/best one been in. Started off one end, ended up in other and back again several times

In the snow? Yeah, I think that was the most crowded i can ever remember a terrace. Didn't we take 5k - odd?

It wasn't the surges so much as going entirely mental when we scored ie all arms and legs safe in the knowledge that was the safest thing to do as everyone else was too! The goal that especially comes to mind was Terry Connor against Liverpool in the Cup 84.

You can check us out here! :bounce::bounce::p:clap2::clap2:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QNSwFM2d6IQ&feature=related

PG

Northstander

Oct 13, 2003
In the snow? Yeah, I think that was the most crowded i can ever remember a terrace. Didn't we take 5k - odd?

It wasn't the surges so much as going entirely mental when we scored ie all arms and legs safe in the knowledge that was the safest thing to do as everyone else was too! The goal that especially comes to mind was Terry Connor against Liverpool in the Cup 84.

You can check us out here! :bounce::bounce::p:clap2::clap2:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QNSwFM2d6IQ&feature=related

PG

I honestly believe those big days are now coming back, once we get moved in and the fans are back, I dont think anything will stop us building and building!

These are certainly exciting times for Seagulls fans!!
:bowdown: :clap2: :albion1:

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here