Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Football] The Non-League Football Thread- 2024/25 Edition

ManOfSussex

We wunt be druv
Apr 11, 2016
Rape of Hastings, Sussex
Hastings United 2-0 Horsham this afternoon at a sun drenched Pilot Field with the hosts getting payback for the Sussex Senior Cup final defeat in May. Even had the same referee from The Amex. Hastings about to go 1-0 up from the spot below.

20240810_152742.jpg

Dick Knights Mumm

Take me Home Falmer Road
Jul 5, 2003
Hither and Thither
Unfortunate opening day defeat for the Barrowmen at home to Merstham. A moment of stupidity resulted in a well taken penalty and the only goal of the afternoon. A decent crowd including many Merstham fans enjoyed the sunshine and the afternoon. FA Cup next weekend!

Slum_Wolf

May 3, 2021
Maybe, you would think checks would be made in advance at that level.
Dorking's kit man probably just read Truro's most recent news story and assumed the new signing was wearing the home kit :ROFLMAO:https://trurocity.co.uk/2024/08/truro-city-sign-jaze-kabia/

Although they did announce 3 days ago they were reverting to red to celebrate their return to Truro/homage to the Canadian owners

Publius Ovidius

Jul 5, 2003
at home
Not quite non league yet, but superb result for Huddersfield today at posh!

we are back!!!

After a pre-season that left as many questions as we had answers, the one thing many of us Worthing fans agreed on was that while we might not score as many under Aggy without a like-for-like Ollie Pearce replacement, the signings made would sure up the defence and mean we could expect more scrappy 1-0 wins than goalfests. How wrong we were yesterday at Weston-super-Mare :LOL:

The definition of a game of two halves from us in terms of performance, as we looked sluggish and were taking our time to get into the game, but the first one was also a first example of the season of refereeing incompetence having an impact on a game. While the defending from the free kick for their opener was poor, it was also never a free kick. Every single one of their fans (all very friendly) who we spoke to at HT that was near it said they had no clue what the penalty for 2-0 was given for.

Their third was purely unlucky on Chris Haigh's part - his clearance hitting the incoming striker, looping high in the air back towards goal with the striker beating him to it to head home. Summed up our luck at that time and I was already well into my second two pinter cup (more of these at Non League grounds please) of Thatchers of the day and telling all and sundry that at least plans I had today would make up for what I was seeing yesterday, which also happened to be my birthday.

Second half was the Worthing we know and love. Much more fluid going forward, resulting in the winning of the first of the free kicks which Spongy would put well beyond the reach of the keeper to reduce the deficit. A bold triple substitution an hour in also helped change the game, with Nicky Wheeler and Oli Starkey both bringing more pace out wide and Harrison Smith - on-loan from Stevenage - immediately impressing up top. A great ball across the box from Joe Cook was put away beautifully by Cashman with 20mins still to go and give us real hope. Not long after, another free kick was won outside the area in an even more promising position for Spong on his left foot; I'll admit I said to a few people I doubted he'd repeat the feat, but he stepped up with another pearler of a strike to even the scores.

At that point we'd have very happily taken the draw back to West Sussex, and some stout defending was needed as Weston rallied, without providing any real attempts on goal as the game winded into added time after the 90, but the drama wasn't done. Cashman running onto a throw in the box was brought down by the defender jostling with him, the ref points to the spot and we have a chance to win it. A questionable penalty, but nothing like an official evening things up when it comes to spot kicks! I don't watch any of my teams take penalties, so averted my eyes behind one of my mates as Cash stepped up to the spot, then bedlam ensued as he found the net for the second time that day and we celebrated an incredible comeback and all three points bagged on the opening day. What was looking like being a birthday memorable for all the wrong reasons quickly became the opposite.

It's never boring following the Rebels :LOL: Football is well and truly back!!

Superphil

Dismember
Jul 7, 2003
In a pile of football shirts
That’s so non league. 🥫🍯
Happened to us away at Leicester in 2007/8. We had to wear Leicesters reserve teams away kit.

Happened to Derby when they came to Withdean once too didn’t it? They ended up playing in hastily numbered up Errea training shirts.

Also remember Reading turning up at the goldstone ground with blue and yellow hoops and we ended up playing in our away kit.

Seems nowadays they don’t care in the premier league (premier league doesn’t care about fans in the stadium) as they regularly allow games to go ahead with dreadful colour clashes with regards to colourblindness, usually in the choices of goalies kit and referees kit.

Last edited:

Cowfold Seagull

Fan of the 17 bus
Apr 22, 2009
Cowfold
Sittingbourne 5-0 broadbridge heath well less said about the better beaten by a far better side todayView attachment 186866View attachment 186867
We'll be waiting for you at Gorings Mead next weekend! Should be an exciting game, a local derby in the 2nd prem round of the FA Cup.

I was down in Newhaven yesterday for what turned out to be a real humdinger of a game, end to end football for the entire 90 minutes. YM shading the first half and going in two goals to the good. I started to relax a bit which turned out to be completely premature! The home side then came back at us big time, scored two goals within a minute to lever the match, then going ahead with a disputed penalty not long before the end. We rallied though and somehow scrambled a late equaliser. 3-3 being the final score.

A great game for the neutral l'm sure, but it didn't to a lot for my heart rate!

Arthur

Jul 8, 2003
Buxted Harbour
Crowborough 3-1 Shoreham

Odd game. First half Crowborough were excellent and Shoreham were dreadful. Crowborough could and probably should have been 3 up in the first 10 minutes. They hit the bar, keeper made a good stop and missed a sitter. The goal did eventually come and was a cracker. Ball found it's way out wide to London who was 1 on 1 with the keeper. Think everyone in the ground thought he would take it on a bit and get a bit closer to goal but he walloped it first time into the top corner. 10 minutes later he got a second with a much easier finish on the back post. You thought then it could have been a cricket score but that is how it stayed until half time. Only complaint you could have as a Crowborough fan was it was only 2. It could have quite easily been 6 or 7.

Whatever was said in the Shoreham dressing room at half time did the trick as second half the looked a completely different side and it was a pretty even game. Crowborough were made to work for it but they put the game to bed with about 20 minutes to go by making it three. Shoreham did get a consolation in stoppage time which was probably deserved based on their second half performance.

Haywards Heath away on Tuesday which I think will be a much harder task.

jackalbion

Aug 30, 2011
Took a trip down to Littlehampton yesterday in the Sun. 3-2 win for Herne Bay in a very decent game actually, Herne Bay I think will be up there come the end of the season. Bizarre proceedings halfway through the second half as Herne Bay had a man sent off, as when the referee told him to exit at the nearest point, the player then shoved him in the chest, I'm not sure what he thought the outcome would there, but the referee immediately sent him off. Herne Bay defended resolutely the see out the game however.

Braggfan

In the beginning there was nothing, which exploded
May 12, 2014
Lewes vs Chatham 2-0

A scorching day at the Pan. I was expecting the worst here, as Chatham were strong last year and made the play offs. But the Rooks came away with brilliant opening day result. Neither team looked particularly organised, but both Lewes goals were well taken, and I never felt like Chatham looked like scoring from open play. The only scare was when Chatham were awarded a late penalty, but Toby Bull made an excellent save to deny them.

Lewes vs Chatham - 10.8.24.jpg

Roadrunner

Oct 2, 2003
Littlehampton
Took a trip down to Littlehampton yesterday in the Sun. 3-2 win for Herne Bay in a very decent game actually, Herne Bay I think will be up there come the end of the season. Bizarre proceedings halfway through the second half as Herne Bay had a man sent off, as when the referee told him to exit at the nearest point, the player then shoved him in the chest, I'm not sure what he thought the outcome would there, but the referee immediately sent him off. Herne Bay defended resolutely the see out the game however.
I was also at this one.... Hoping that LA might be a little bit more competitive this season after a couple of decent signings in Rob O'Toole and Alex Laing. They're also claming Kyle O'Brien, a player who I really rate and who has been with us before, but I've yet to see him in gold this season. Having said that, we've lost long-serving captain Dion Jarvis to Chichester amongst some other regulars.

Herne Bay was always going to be a tough ask, they're amongst the favourites for promotion after coming close last season. Their striker Mikey Salako has been linked to clubs at a higher level, he's already scored 7 or 8 this season if you count pre-season matches. It was a typically 'robust' performance from Town, but they are so slow at the back - the defence was so flat footed for Herne Bay's third it was almost comical.

The sending off was a bit of a head scratcher - the visiting captain was being subbed off but refused to leave the pitch via the shortest route and then shoved the referee in the chest by way of protest. Red card, obviously, but double whammy because they weren't allowed to make the planned substituion either. LA hit the post but didn't really have HB under the cosh at any time despite the extra man advantage.

Still relatively optimistic that we won't face another relegation battle, but they really will need to add something to the dfecnsive unit to make it a bit more comfortable.

AZ Gull

@SeagullsAcademy Threads: @bhafcacademy
Oct 14, 2003
Chandler, AZ
Not the best of starts for the 8 Sussex clubs in the Isthmian League South East division, with 7 defeats and just a (goalless) draw for East Grinstead Town.

jackalbion

Aug 30, 2011
I was also at this one.... Hoping that LA might be a little bit more competitive this season after a couple of decent signings in Rob O'Toole and Alex Laing. They're also claming Kyle O'Brien, a player who I really rate and who has been with us before, but I've yet to see him in gold this season. Having said that, we've lost long-serving captain Dion Jarvis to Chichester amongst some other regulars.

Herne Bay was always going to be a tough ask, they're amongst the favourites for promotion after coming close last season. Their striker Mikey Salako has been linked to clubs at a higher level, he's already scored 7 or 8 this season if you count pre-season matches. It was a typically 'robust' performance from Town, but they are so slow at the back - the defence was so flat footed for Herne Bay's third it was almost comical.

The sending off was a bit of a head scratcher - the visiting captain was being subbed off but refused to leave the pitch via the shortest route and then shoved the referee in the chest by way of protest. Red card, obviously, but double whammy because they weren't allowed to make the planned substituion either. LA hit the post but didn't really have HB under the cosh at any time despite the extra man advantage.

Still relatively optimistic that we won't face another relegation battle, but they really will need to add something to the dfecnsive unit to make it a bit more comfortable.
The number 9 ran the show really (Salako) hard to judge based on playing against Herne Bay. They’ve got good experience in the side I think they’ll be well clear of relegation. Think could be a tough season for some other Sussex based sides in that league though.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here