Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Football] The Non-League Football Thread- 2022/23 Edition

Cowfold Seagull

Fan of the 17 bus
Apr 22, 2009
Cowfold
Do you mean compared to watching the Albion/Premier League football, or compared to Worthing last season? I thought the first half they played very well, kept Dover at bay, considering they were 2 divisions apart last season it really wasn’t bad. Second half flopped I think, the heat, first game of the season rustiness, and after the missed pen I think both teams had sort of run out of ideas, and energy.

Yep, watching YM yesterday both sets of players eased up quite considerably in the second half, the intensity dropped as the heat rose, hardly surprisning really in such hot conditions.

These aren't professional players of course, so not as super fit as those at the Albion for instance. As you also say they haven't all found their "football feet" yet, give it a few weeks and they should be well into it again.

amexer

Aug 8, 2011
Do you mean compared to watching the Albion/Premier League football, or compared to Worthing last season? I thought the first half they played very well, kept Dover at bay, considering they were 2 divisions apart last season it really wasn’t bad. Second half flopped I think, the heat, first game of the season rustiness, and after the missed pen I think both teams had sort of run out of ideas, and energy.

Certainly not the Albion Always watch several non league games. Last season Burgess Hill 3 times Lewes 2 and Worthing 2. So comparing with those games and perhaps knowing had gone up another division was expecting more. Unfair I suppose as higher division more organised and less chances. Maybe stick with BH where all games I saw could have ended 5-5

Moshe Gariani

Mar 10, 2005
Great win for the Boro away at Oxford.

Danny, Danny Bloor. Danny, Danny Bloor!

Roadrunner

Oct 2, 2003
Littlehampton
First round of the FA Cup, low key? it's a big day on our calendar at Horsham YMCA, the romance of the cup, and from a business sense the opportunity to make some serious money if you can get a run going and the draw is kind to you.

Having said that we bowed out at the first stage yet again yesterday, losing 3-0 at home to a very professional Beckenham Town outfit, recently promoted out of the Combined Counties League and into the Isthmian ranks.

Oh well, there is always next season!

I guess we've been spolied by last season's cup exploits! Didn't feel like a big game, can't have been more than a dozen away fans. Don't get me wrong, though, nothing I'd love more than a decent run in the FA Cup. Priority has to be consolodating in the Isthmian League, however.

jackalbion

Aug 30, 2011
Went to the big cup tie up at Glossop North End on Saturday between them and Emley AFC. A 1-0 win for Glossop was not without controversy as the most stonewall penalty I've ever seen was turned down for Emley, probably because the referee was into the 9th minute of added time when 4 were put up. Emley were much the better side against their higher opponents.

keaton

Big heart, hot blood and balls. Big balls
Nov 18, 2004
https://www.isthmian.co.uk/league-approves-early-starts-to-help-clubs-combat--71678

Isthmian League teams can have early kick offs over winter to save money on floodlights.

Good idea, I think and will teams like Lewes to stream their matches to members as well.

Has the side affects of not needing to tell your family so you can spend a few hours longer at the pub post match claiming you went straight home. But I'm fairly certain one of my lot will regularly turn up for the last 10 minutes

milliepops

Nov 8, 2011
at home
My planned game tonight, Arundel v Montpelier Villa, has been called off. The pitch has failed an inspection with large cracks and holes in the playing surface deeming it unsafe!

jackalbion

Aug 30, 2011
My planned game tonight, Arundel v Montpelier Villa, has been called off. The pitch has failed an inspection with large cracks and holes in the playing surface deeming it unsafe!

Better make your way up to CB Hounslow United then

milliepops

Nov 8, 2011
at home
Went to Billingshurst v Chessington & Hook last night in the Peter Bentley Cup with the visitors winning 4.1

Tonight it was FA Cup replay action at Culver Road watching Newhaven play Canterbury City.

Half time and Newhaven were 6.0 in front. Despite being reduced to 10 men just minutes into the 2nd half the Dockers scored 4 more with no reply.

Total one way traffic from start to finish and it was very difficult to work out how this tie actually made it to needing a replay!

Final score - Newhaven FC 10 (ten) Canterbury City 0.

Sirnormangall

Sep 21, 2017
Went to Billingshurst v Chessington & Hook last night in the Peter Bentley Cup with the visitors winning 4.1

Tonight it was FA Cup replay action at Culver Road watching Newhaven play Canterbury City.

Half time and Newhaven were 6.0 in front. Despite being reduced to 10 men just minutes into the 2nd half the Dockers scored 4 more with no reply.

Total one way traffic from start to finish and it was very difficult to work out how this tie actually made it to needing a replay!

Final score - Newhaven FC 10 (ten) Canterbury City 0.

Newhaven’s finishing was exceptional last night. But what a stupid red card - no need for such a reckless tackle when your 6-0 up.

MattBackHome

Jul 7, 2003
Lewes v Carshalton

Gorgeous night to return to the Pan Siro where the Rooks served up a very good display of Tonyball which bodes extremely well for the coming season.

All the new faces looked impressive; In defence Tom Champion was rangey, strong and composed at centre back and Marcel Elva Fontaine was rampaging and quick-footed at right back. Vast upgrade on Nelson and Spencer.

In MF, Alfie Young was utterly dominant in front of the back 4 and Jake Skinner and Ronan Silva both caused the Robins problems throughout.

Deon Moores brace was deserved and Razz was out of this world. Ollie who?

2 nil, but could have been 5 or 6 easily. And the new pitch is gorgeous.

jackalbion

Aug 30, 2011
Went to Bromley v Torquay, Gary Johnson has got the Gulls playing very defensive stuff and it was the absolute Alamo, how it only ended 1-0 I don’t know. Bromley were like us on crack, could have ended 10-0 if it wasn’t for some heroic blocks and Mark Halstead in goal. 1-0 was the final score and considering Torquay had 10 men for about half an hour they did well. Looks like they might struggle this year though.

keaton

Big heart, hot blood and balls. Big balls
Nov 18, 2004
Lewes v Carshalton

Gorgeous night to return to the Pan Siro where the Rooks served up a very good display of Tonyball which bodes extremely well for the coming season.

All the new faces looked impressive; In defence Tom Champion was rangey, strong and composed at centre back and Marcel Elva Fontaine was rampaging and quick-footed at right back. Vast upgrade on Nelson and Spencer.

In MF, Alfie Young was utterly dominant in front of the back 4 and Jake Skinner and Ronan Silva both caused the Robins problems throughout.

Deon Moores brace was deserved and Razz was out of this world. Ollie who?

2 nil, but could have been 5 or 6 easily. And the new pitch is gorgeous.

Agree with all of this.

Elva Fontaine looked really and entertaining, but Skinner in midfield looked a really classy player, so much composure on the ball

MattBackHome

Jul 7, 2003
Agree with all of this.

Elva Fontaine looked really and entertaining, but Skinner in midfield looked a really classy player, so much composure on the ball

it might be (it is) a bit of start of the season ism, but I'm genuinely really excited about Rooks prospects this year.

You're right about Skinner - Really skilful, and more physical than you'd expect as well for someone of his stature.

milliepops

Nov 8, 2011
at home
Had a decent evenings entertainment at Weymouth.
Despite being on the back foot for long periods in the first half, Weymouth having a few good chances and hitting the post, Worthing went in at the break in front, Joel Colbran with the goal.

More even 2nd half, Weymouth again hitting the post, but a fortuitous own goal - claimed by Ollie Pearce - and a great finish from Ollie late on saw Worthing claim all 3 points with a 3.0 victory.

2 very good away trips in the last few days after an excellent 4.2 win at Welling United on Saturday.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here