Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Football] The Newcastle Conspiracy Theory

Milano

Aug 15, 2012
Sussex but not by the sea
Watching Newcastle reminds me of watching us in CH’s final season. We could easily have had more than 3 on Saturday. They look broken as we did after Cardiff. Like us they are now reliant on a team below them being shitter than them, we got VERY lucky with Cardiff that year, they hit form but we had just enough points and they had just too much to make up, had that season been 1 or 2 games longer we’d have been gone IMO.
Newcastle don’t have the points and Fulham are closer to them than Cardiff were to us. Hayden looked one of the few fighters they had and now he’s out too. If Wilson and SM don’t hit form and lift those around them straight away then they’re in deep shite.

Kalimantan Gull

Aug 13, 2003
Central Borneo / the Lizard
It is feasible.

This aligns with the theory that you can actually make money by being relegated - sure you don't get the premier league millions - but you do get parachute payments, you do get to sell several players for 10-20 million each, and you do get a lot of big wages off the books. You can replace with a load of cheap but good championship players (you get the pick of the bunch by being !NEWCASTLE!), get promoted and are back in the premier league with more money in the bank and a cheaper team.

Last time they did this they sold Sissoko for 35m, Wijnaldum for 25m, Townsend for 15m, Janmaat for 10m and Cisse for 5m, loaned many more out, and replaced them with the much cheaper Ritchie, Gayle, Clark, Yedlin and Hayden and bounced straight back.

I reckon thats money in the pocket over the long run.

I agree they may struggle to get those kind of transfer fees for their current lot :lolol:

Acker79

NSC Patron
Nov 15, 2008
Brighton
I can't see Steve Bruce leaving of his own accord, he is that rare thing in football, a manager who actually supports the club he is managing.

If they do go down l can see him wanting to stay, and attempt to bring the club straight back up.

An alternative theory I've seen says that Bruce wants to lose badly to get the sack and rake in £4m or so. Otherwise he'd quit.

https://www.theguardian.com/footbal...huffling-walking-dead-style-towards-the-abyss

Say what you like about Steve Bruce but the Newcastle manager is no quitter. True, there was that time he quit Sheffield United to join Huddersfield. And the time after that he quit Plucky Little Wigan to join Crystal Palace, a club he would later quit to join Birmingham City. He almost quit them to join Newcastle, only to stay for a bit longer before quitting to return to Wigan. He went on to quit them for a second time to take over at Sunderland, who fired him before he quit his next job at Hull City and went to Aston Villa. They eventually sacked him too and he accepted the manager’s post at Sheffield Wednesday, a job he would eventually quit to take over at Newcastle.
Their pleas for Bruce to go have fallen on deaf ears and it has now emerged that the manager celebrated his recent vote of confidence by giving his players most of the international break off. While critics have suggested Bruce knows the jig is up and is actually trying to get himself fired so he can trouser a multimillion-pound payoff, given how poorly his side has performed in the wake of regular training sessions, a holiday could be exactly what his players need.

Nameless

Jul 7, 2020
I certainly wouldn't rule anything out.

But here's a crazy idea – why not sell the club to someone who's NOT completely dodgy in the first place? Therefore, the club stays in the PL and he also gets shot of it. And surely he'd get more money for a Premier League club than a Football League one? Therefore, he's happy, supporters are happy and the players are happy :shrug:

100% agree, but he's the greedy type.

Nameless

Jul 7, 2020
Watching Newcastle reminds me of watching us in CH’s final season. We could easily have had more than 3 on Saturday. They look broken as we did after Cardiff. Like us they are now reliant on a team below them being shitter than them, we got VERY lucky with Cardiff that year, they hit form but we had just enough points and they had just too much to make up, had that season been 1 or 2 games longer we’d have been gone IMO.
Newcastle don’t have the points and Fulham are closer to them than Cardiff were to us. Hayden looked one of the few fighters they had and now he’s out too. If Wilson and SM don’t hit form and lift those around them straight away then they’re in deep shite.

Completely agree but you have to say on paper at least this Newcastle team is far better than the team we had, the team cardiff had and the team Fulham currently have. Like us the geordies have had some horrible luck with injuries this season meanwhile Fulham have been pretty much okay all season. I think it may come down to final day.

KZNSeagull

Nov 26, 2007
Wolsingham, County Durham
It is feasible.

This aligns with the theory that you can actually make money by being relegated - sure you don't get the premier league millions - but you do get parachute payments, you do get to sell several players for 10-20 million each, and you do get a lot of big wages off the books. You can replace with a load of cheap but good championship players (you get the pick of the bunch by being !NEWCASTLE!), get promoted and are back in the premier league with more money in the bank and a cheaper team.

Last time they did this they sold Sissoko for 35m, Wijnaldum for 25m, Townsend for 15m, Janmaat for 10m and Cisse for 5m, loaned many more out, and replaced them with the much cheaper Ritchie, Gayle, Clark, Yedlin and Hayden and bounced straight back.

I reckon thats money in the pocket over the long run.

I agree they may struggle to get those kind of transfer fees for their current lot :lolol:

They still made a loss of +-£90m that season in the Championship, didn't they?

Kalimantan Gull

Aug 13, 2003
Central Borneo / the Lizard
They still made a loss of +-£90m that season in the Championship, didn't they?

No idea? Guess it would have to be compared against the losses had they stayed up both that season and the next, perhaps? Balance sheet losses don't necessarily relate to actual losses from the perspective of someone like Ashley, I suppose.

I know they made a 30m+ profit on transfers, compared to a 50m-ish loss on transfers in both the preceding premier league season and the subsequent one; and players like Ritchie and Hayden would have been (and probably still are) on much lower wages than the likes of Sissoko or Townsend would have been (and still are)

I do think that the premier league riches is somewhat overplayed, you get more money but it pretty much all flows out of the door straight away and often leaves you in debt to the future. A controlled relegation can be a way of regaining control of finances.

Anyway, its a different way of looking at things I suppose. As Manuel would say, I know nothing

willalbion

May 8, 2006
London
https://www.theguardian.com/footbal...huffling-walking-dead-style-towards-the-abyss

Say what you like about Steve Bruce but the Newcastle manager is no quitter. True, there was that time he quit Sheffield United to join Huddersfield. And the time after that he quit Plucky Little Wigan to join Crystal Palace, a club he would later quit to join Birmingham City. He almost quit them to join Newcastle, only to stay for a bit longer before quitting to return to Wigan. He went on to quit them for a second time to take over at Sunderland, who fired him before he quit his next job at Hull City and went to Aston Villa. They eventually sacked him too and he accepted the manager’s post at Sheffield Wednesday, a job he would eventually quit to take over at Newcastle.
Their pleas for Bruce to go have fallen on deaf ears and it has now emerged that the manager celebrated his recent vote of confidence by giving his players most of the international break off. While critics have suggested Bruce knows the jig is up and is actually trying to get himself fired so he can trouser a multimillion-pound payoff, given how poorly his side has performed in the wake of regular training sessions, a holiday could be exactly what his players need.

i love that, he's no quitter (apart from all the times he's quit)

BNthree

Plastic JCL
Sep 14, 2016
WeHo
I offer a simpler theory, Ashley doesn't want to pay out any compensation for sacking Bruce, let him walk instead.

I thought this was the accepted wisdom of the situation. Ashley is gambling on Newcastle staying up but Bruce quitting to save the pay out.

Blue Valkyrie

Not seen such Bravery!
Sep 1, 2012
Valhalla
I wish I'd known about this dark plot before Fulham had beaten Liverpool.

It would have saved a lot of angst.

McTavish

Nov 5, 2014
Also it's quite crazy that they are convinced they're going down. There's still realistically 5 teams ( including us ) who could still take that final spot and there's still enough time for a great escape for West Brom although very unlikely.
I know it's not really the point of your post, but if we are still in the relegation frame (and I think we just about are) then surely Burnley and Southampton are too; particularly as our GD effectively puts us as far above Fulham and Newcastle as those two.

Stat Brother

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
West west west Sussex
I was struck by how similar their promoted team was to last Saturday's side.

Esp when you consider ours consisted of 1 player - Dunk, what with Solly being injured.

Gwylan

Jul 5, 2003
Uffern

"Currently unable to barrack their manager from the seats of St James’ Park for obvious reasons and having long been insufficiently organised to mount a protest worthy of the name back in the days when public dissent on British streets was still allowed, Newcastle fans have had to rely on voicing their disquiet through the always effective medium of raging on social media disgraces and paint-daubed bedsheets."

This certainly resonated with me. For all their moaning about Ashley - and boy, can they moan - the Horse Punchers do cock-all about it ... apart from flocking to Sports Direct to buy replica gear and put more money in his pockets. It's a strange way of protesting

beorhthelm

A. Virgo, Football Genius
Jul 21, 2003
i suppose for all the moaning at Ashley, they realise there isnt much alternative. having a rich foreign investor sounds nice but a bit of a lottery if they will actually invest.

nicko31

Jan 7, 2010
Gods country fortnightly
So I've been watching some Newcastle fan channels on youtube since we beat them and quite a few of them are suggesting the reason Mike Ashley isn't going to sack Steve Bruce is because he wants to get relegated.

The reasoning behind this being that the football league new owner checks are nowhere near as difficult to overcome as the premier league ones and that he may have done a side hustle with potential new owners.

Therefore he is in a win-win if they stay up he gets the premier league profits if they go down he can sell the club for what he wants with more ease.

Personally, think this is a bit far-fetched but interesting to say the least.

Also it's quite crazy that they are convinced they're going down. There's still realistically 5 teams ( including us ) who could still take that final spot and there's still enough time for a great escape for West Brom although very unlikely.

Ashley would rather it was harder to sell a more valuable PL club than an easier to sell less valuable Championship club. He's a business man.

I think the closer he can get Toon to 17th without relegation the better the outcome, ie don't waste millions on 2, 3 or 4 unnecessary places. Don't overcook things...

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here