Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Misc] The new normal and office attire - what to wear?

Live by the sea

Oct 21, 2016
Personally I think if you are interacting with other people in your job , it’s good to look smart . That’s just my view , I accept not everyone will agree . When I dress smart , nice crisp shirt with a suit or blazer & nice trousers and loafers I feel good about myself .

At weekends, I slouch around in polo tops or t shirts , never tracksuit bottoms , I draw the line at that and never vest tops that’s chavy chic .

Bodian

May 3, 2012
Cumbria
Gradually we have become less and less formal. 20 years ago, we all wore trousers, shirt, tie and so on. Over time, with bits of uniform for some staff (polo shirts, zippered fleece, and so on), we sort of ditched the ties overall. The we had a new chief exec, who turns up in summer in shorts and t-shirt. So, although most of us don't - we feel we can wear what, or as little, as we want. I used to wear my polo-shirt and shorts to our outlying offices, where it's mainly worker workers (ie: not stuck in front of the computer), and slacks/shirt to the Head Office. But with the gradual drift back, I've noticed, without making a conscious choice, that I've started wearing polo-shirts to the Head Office as well.

Boys 9d

Jan 3, 2012
Lancing
Wot! No bowler hats?

ConfusedGloryHunter

He/him/his/that muppet
NSC Patron
Jul 6, 2011
Out of interest, do you know why your firm has these rules? Are you more productive in suit trousers and a blue shirt?

During lockdown last year I sold my soul to work as a software developer at a hedge fund. Whilst I never need to meet clients I believe some do visit our office and I guess if you are nervous about handing over your millions to some city slickers you may be adversely influenced by seeing some scruffy gits such as me wandering about. Same reason you want the heart surgeon about to operate on you to look like the most boringly efficient person on the planet I suppose.

Mind you I do think there is something in the psychology of dressing differently for work for any job, perhaps to do with setting your mindset or divorcing it from your home life or simply accepting the banality of your nine to five. I am obviously no expert in it all. But then when I decided to be a web developer I had visions of being some surfer dude working remotely from my camper van in some sunny paradise - smart clothes didn't come into it. As it turned out I have never learnt to surf and live in a maisonette in the south east of London, frankly having to dress like a plum is the least of my problems!

Comrade Sam

Comrade Sam
Jan 31, 2013
Walthamstow
One of the great things about being a Mod is that even my casual attire is smarter than the average pedestrian. However, when work expects a suit, of which I have a dozen tailored, I make a point of just wearing smart casual.

One of the great things about being a Mod is that even my casual attire is smarter than the average pedestrian. However, when work expects a suit, of which I have a dozen tailored, I make a point of just wearing smart casual.

Didn't realise the moderators had a dress code :)

WhingForPresident

NSC Patron
Feb 23, 2009
Marlborough
A lot of people in my office dressed casually pre-covid, I usually went smart-casual.

However, I've joined the full out casuals now and have been going in wearing shorts/jeans, t-shirt and trainers of late. We don't have customers, never have meetings any more as people have realised you can just do them on Teams and nobody external ever comes in. Plus my boss has been coming in wearing all Lycra (and staying in it all day), so I feel like the standards have pretty much gone out the window and if I can get away with wearing comfy clothes for my 3 hours of train and tube commuting, I'm definitely going to.

Last edited:

Cheshire Cat

The most curious thing..
The thought of my boss in lycra is just too hideous to contemplate.

bhanutz

Aug 23, 2005

ooooh... you're hard!

Rogero

Aug 4, 2010
Shoreham
A few years ago I remember seeing a survey about what people wear at home whilst working . It was very roughly 50% casual, 25% smart, 15% pyjamas and 10% naked. This was before zoom!!

Seagull58

In the Algarve
Jan 31, 2012
Vilamoura, Portugal
Officially my company has not changed its dress code of smart business attire (no tie or suit jacket required) and we are all meant to be back in the office 3 out of 5 days. Not everyone is doing 3 days a week and many of those that are in are treating it as similar to a Christmas week (where rules tend to slip a bit) so many are in trainers and some are rocking jeans and t-shirts. Frankly it feels like we are just waiting for an HR email to gently request conformance to the rules and until then everyone is pushing the boundaries. I left my earring in yesterday, so now you know how much of a rebel I am.

That takes me back. I went to work for 30 years before wearing my earring to work.

Paulie Gualtieri

Bada Bing
NSC Patron
May 8, 2018
We are advised to “dress for the day” it’s seems quite a few of the young ladies seemingly think it’s always Saturday night and they wonder why productivity is up WFH!

Brovion

In my defence, I was left unsupervised.
NSC Patron
Jul 6, 2003

You have a dozen tailored suits. Twelve suits. You should change your user name to 'Campari Sam'

Swansman

Pro-peace
May 13, 2019
Sweden
I must admit I have no idea what people do in offices as I dont know anyone working in one and I've probably never been to one either... but surely the clothes cant impact whatever-you-guys-do that much? I'm thinking the best thing would be to let people work in whatever they feel comfortable in.

Shropshire Seagull

Nov 5, 2004
Telford
When WFH I wear shorts but with a shirt & collar [no tie] - I think I look smart on the Teams video calls but most likely no one takes a blind bit of notice ...

Herr Tubthumper

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
The Fatherland
Summer: shorts, tee, Birkenstock’s
Winter: jeans, tee, Vans.

I do like to dress up smart if I’m going somewhere nice though.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here