Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

The New Manics Album

Wilka

Nov 18, 2003
Burgess Hill
Truely brilliant stuff. I would say it's there 2nd best album behind The Holy Bible.

They have done Richey's words proud. Any other NSC's got the new album yet?

Garry Nelson's Left Foot

Jul 7, 2003
tokyo
It's a good'un isn't it? I got the greenday one at the same time...journal for plague lovers is hogging the c.d player.(admittedly the greenday album is a bit shit).

Oh yeah, Tony Bloom, nice one!

Wilka

Nov 18, 2003
Burgess Hill
They are going to play the whole of the new album in order on their up coming tour which is coming to the Dome then a set of hits afterwards. Should be good as long as they are not full of people with there arms crossed waiting for Design For Life during the first part of the set.

Grendel

Jul 28, 2005
Seaford
Back in about 1995/6, when quizzed on the remaining lyrics left by Richey, James Dean Bradfield described them as "fragmented", "rambling", "half finished" and stated that there was nothing they could or would use. To bring an album out 14 years later featuring them smacks to me of "our last 4 albums have been gash, no one really likes us anymore - how can we get some credibility back?".

Garry Nelson's Left Foot

Jul 7, 2003
tokyo
Back in about 1995/6, when quizzed on the remaining lyrics left by Richey, James Dean Bradfield described them as "fragmented", "rambling", "half finished" and stated that there was nothing they could or would use. To bring an album out 14 years later featuring them smacks to me of "our last 4 albums have been gash, no one really likes us anymore - how can we get some credibility back?".

Maybe. Doesn't stop it being a good album though.

Wilka

Nov 18, 2003
Burgess Hill

If you get the special edition which has the actual prints of the book left to the band and that is a fair description of some of lyrics. They have edited some of them down to make them fit the songs.

They have said they haven't used the lyrics until now for various reasons such as the family and that now he has been declared dead the time was right. I think they were mindful of not using them like you said to be seen to resurrect there career so after send away the tigers did well it felt right.

There was a documentary about the making of the album on Channel 4 if anyone is interested:

Manic Street Preachers: Shadows and Words - 4oD Catch-Up - Channel 4

Last edited:

Wilka

Nov 18, 2003
Burgess Hill
The Dome gig tonight was f***ing brilliant. I always say this ever tour but they really were on fire tonight.

clapham_gull

Legacy Fan
Aug 20, 2003
It's not bad actually.

I've seen them live a few times, but have never quite forgiven them for the toilet incident at Glastonbury.

Sir Norman Gull

Where's my poncho?
Mar 28, 2008
Location Location
Mrs SNG went last night and said they kicked butt and were very impressive!

Peteinblack

NSC Patron
Jun 3, 2004
Bath, Somerset.
Truely brilliant stuff. I would say it's there 2nd best album behind The Holy Bible.

They have done Richey's words proud. Any other NSC's got the new album yet?

Yeah, totally agree.

It's a bit of a 'grower', though. I wasn't too impressed initially, but having played it a few times, now, I absolutely love it, and am playing it constantly. Deffo their best after the awesome, but very bleak and harrowing, The Holy Bible.

Just miffed that they're not playing the West Country on their latest tour, and their only Welsh gig is Llandudno, instead of Cardiff or Newport, so we can't get to see them this time 'round.

:guitar::clap2::guitar::clap2::guitar::clap2::guitar:

Peteinblack

NSC Patron
Jun 3, 2004
Bath, Somerset.
Care to expand ?!

Didn't they hire their own private 'luxury' Portaloos, to much ridicule.

I think it was the same Glastonbury Festival that Manics' bassist Nicky Wire pissed off Michael Eavis by suggesting, from the stage to 100,000 people, that 'They should build a motorway over this sh*thole'.

Rowdey

Jul 7, 2003
Herne Hill

I think it was the same Glastonbury Festival that Manics' bassist Nicky Wire pissed off Michael Eavis by suggesting, from the stage to 100,000 people, that 'They should build a motorway over this sh*thole'.

Oh ok, thanks. doesn't suprise me and backs up a little story of my own..

Back in 1999 when they went on tour with This is My Truth (Catatonia was back up :love: ) i was working as a Event Production Manager for a well known beer.
We cut a deal directly with the band for over £250k, in exchange for a lighting rig in FOH spraying the logo on the roof of venues between acts, some branding around the venue's (cups in bars, banners etc) and putting fully stocked fridges in both band's rooms every night..

About the week before, the Manics came to us and said Err, we'r not comfortable with our arrangement any more, it looks like we've sold out.. can you not do the rig and branding please ? (crucially, we can't/don't want to give the money back..)

Our contract was pretty good, so no dice and we followed them around like an unwelcome smell for the next month - they even went on a 'No alcohol for us' month to rub it in..

Still, the lovely Cerys more than made up for them ..! :drink:

And sorry wilka, i guess that puts me firmly in the Design for Life/Tolerate this johnny come lately fan group.. :clap:

Herr Tubthumper

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
The Fatherland
I was there last night at The Dome. Great gig and I liked the way they initially did the new album from start to finish as a three piece. Took a break ,came back on with more musicuans and said 'Right..let's go' and banged out an hour of greatest hits.

Herr Tubthumper

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
The Fatherland

To the contrary. By their own admission they lost their way a little..famously saying you know this as you get offered The Guildfest. But the 'Tiger's album was a success commercially and credibility wise. If anything this enabled them to do something like this as you cannot say they were cashing in or desperate as their stock was and is relatively high at the moment.

Garry Nelson's Left Foot

Jul 7, 2003
tokyo

I think they were different glasto shows. I think the build a motorway comment was in the early days-before richey disappeared. The toiletgate affair was either late 90's or early 00's. I think.

Herr Tubthumper

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
The Fatherland

No, my understanding is they simply stuck a sign on a portaloo which said 'For the exclusive use of The Manic Street Preachers.' I dont think they were being overly serious but I recall Billy Bragg took it a bit too literally.

clapham_gull

Legacy Fan
Aug 20, 2003
No, my understanding is they simply stuck a sign on a portaloo which said 'For the exclusive use of The Manic Street Preachers.' I dont think they were being overly serious but I recall Billy Bragg took it a bit too literally.

Not quite.

They took their own portaloo and placed it backstage. Not wishing any other of the musicians to use it they placed a sign on it that read:

"These facilities are reserved exclusively for the Manic Street Preachers. Please respect this. Thank you."

The sign did exist, a photograph appeared in the national press soon after.

I seem to recall some excuse from them at the time, but to be honest they just just made themselves look even worse.

After Bragg made them silly they took it on themselves to have a huge rock star hissy fit, and slag him off to the audience at subsequent concerts.

Apparently they have all made up now.

Last edited:

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here