Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Brighton] The New Brighton Station taxi rank

Thunder Bolt

Silly old bat
It does seem a little odd that a station wouldn't have the taxi rank at its entrance.

If a passenger wants to get to Hove during rush hour, now it could add another 10 15 mins to the journey.

If only there was a train from Brighton to Hove.

Weststander

NSC Patron
Aug 25, 2011
Withdean area
There is still plenty of room at the back of the station for a well designed taxi rank, passenger drop off, disabled parking and long term station parking. The poorly designed two level car park should be replaced with a Hayward’s Heath station type car park. Lower level could be passenger pick up / drop off and taxi pick up queueing area. Upper levels station paid parking.

Stroudley road should become a one way loop with access to new station car park / taxi rank so the stupid roundabouts get removed (accident waiting to happen with all the taxis flying around). Sort out the phasing of New England road traffic lights and I think most problems would be sorted.

Trouble is Network Rail will never do the job properly. Current situation is just a short term fudge.

One snag with a multi story car park. BHCC pull know punches in their determination to rid Brighton (outside the suburbs) of vehicles other than buses. A shiny new multi story would not deter commuters and other rail users from bringing their car into the city.

beorhthelm

A. Virgo, Football Genius
Jul 21, 2003
Isn't there a happy middle ground here though? Can't they re-design that part of the concourse so that the road from the back of the station feeds through to the front and people can be picked up from the front?

platform 8 says no.

ofco8

May 18, 2007
Brighton
The answer to Brighton's problems. The hanging tram as in Wuppertal in Germany. Floats above all road traffic with no obstructions.

Have actually been on this and a new experience.. Wuppertal.jpgWuppertal 2.jpg

symyjym

Banned
Nov 2, 2009
Brighton / Hove actually
If only there was a train from Brighton to Hove.

Hove Station doesn't work for St Anne's Well, Bedford Square or Hangleton areas etc in Hove.

In the rush hour periods instead of a Taxi just turning straight into Hove from the station the choice now will be:

Queue along New England St, I call this one the death wait, to then go up New England Hill to Five Ways and into Hove.

Go up Trafalgar Street and queue at Frederick Street to cross Queens Road and into Hove.

Drive down to Valley Gardens and turn right at the pier and into Hove.

Herr Tubthumper

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
The Fatherland
i didnt really find much to explain why they are better, seems how they are used is better. design would solve the door point, congestion is caused by the number of buses and single lane road. given a wider road and priority at junctions (easily done with tech), buses could sail through the central city. they benefit is more flexibility, more routes. multi car trams running down main roads looks a good idea, but overall the bus treated as if a tram would be preferable.

Your suggestion sounds good. Where have you seen all of this?

Herr Tubthumper

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
The Fatherland
The answer to Brighton's problems. The hanging tram as in Wuppertal in Germany. Floats above all road traffic with no obstructions.

Have actually been on this and a new experience..View attachment 117181View attachment 117180

Perfect.
[MENTION=599]beorhthelm[/MENTION], now this will be perfect for Brighton. Surely even you agree?

beorhthelm

Jul 21, 2003
[MENTION=599]beorhthelm[/MENTION], now this will be perfect for Brighton. Surely even you agree?

absolutly, a wonderful peice of over-engineering. principle of running over road ways is very good, we dont use vertical space enough.

I can only speak for myself but I’d be more likely to go to visit town centre shops if they cleared away cars. Time to give our space back to the people. Am writing this from Discovery Bay in Hong Kong where all cars are banned, a glimpse of the future and it seems right

Robot Chicken

Seriously?
Jul 5, 2003
Chicken World
I can only speak for myself but I’d be more likely to go to visit town centre shops if they cleared away cars. Time to give our space back to the people. Am writing this from Discovery Bay in Hong Kong where all cars are banned, a glimpse of the future and it seems right

If you clear away cars, you clear away people. The high street is dying.

Chicken Run

Member Since Jul 2003
NSC Patron
Jul 17, 2003
Valley of Hangleton

By the sounds of what’s going on over there they clear away people too!

Be safe LI.

Husty

Mooderator
Oct 18, 2008
You're in luck. There's a few boomers 'keeled over most weeks according to Argus obituaries and even the Albion in memoriam section in programmes. They seem to be sadly missed by their loved ones, but hey, obviously you'll be happy:clap2:

Someone's a snowflake.

Husty

Mooderator
Oct 18, 2008
Hove Station doesn't work for St Anne's Well, Bedford Square or Hangleton areas etc in Hove.

In the rush hour periods instead of a Taxi just turning straight into Hove from the station the choice now will be:

Queue along New England St, I call this one the death wait, to then go up New England Hill to Five Ways and into Hove.

Go up Trafalgar Street and queue at Frederick Street to cross Queens Road and into Hove.

Drive down to Valley Gardens and turn right at the pier and into Hove.

Or get a bus? :dunce:

The Clamp

NSC Patron
Jan 11, 2016
West is BEST
Moaning taxi drivers. Their refusal to adapt to change will hopefully see the end of their overpriced “service” within the next decade.

taz

Feb 18, 2015
You sound like a fan of the huge multi national American company that's recently moved $6.1 billion of "intellectual property" from there tax haven in Bermuda to Holland to avoid any tax liability in the UK and Europe for a very long time, the company that has refused to take any part in the United States Senate investigation into the astonishing number of murders, kidnaps and rapes connected to there drivers, the company that is currently in court accused of stealing money from 100,000 of there below minium wage californian drivers while executives buy 1 Billion dollar houses overlooking san Francisco bay,, the company that was given only a Unprecedented 3 month license to operate in London because of the high number of there drivers caught without hire and reward car insurance after vehicle accidents, just download one of the local companys apps and pay buy card, and don't give your money to the Saudi Arabian murders who are one of the biggest investors in the company who's ceo compares a murder and dismembered body of a journalist to the mistake of mowing down and killing a women by there autonomous car that had been involved in 67 previously unreported accidents!!

beorhthelm

Jul 21, 2003
You sound like a fan of the huge multi national American company that's recently moved $6.1 billion of "intellectual property" from there tax haven in Bermuda to Holland to avoid any tax liability in the UK and Europe for a very long time, the company that has refused to take any part in the United States Senate investigation into the astonishing number of murders, kidnaps and rapes connected to there drivers, the company that is currently in court accused of stealing money from 100,000 of there below minium wage californian drivers while executives buy 1 Billion dollar houses overlooking san Francisco bay,, the company that was given only a Unprecedented 3 month license to operate in London because of the high number of there drivers caught without hire and reward car insurance after vehicle accidents, just download one of the local companys apps and pay buy card, and don't give your money to the Saudi Arabian murders who are one of the biggest investors in the company who's ceo compares a murder and dismembered body of a journalist to the mistake of mowing down and killing a women by there autonomous car that had been involved in 67 previously unreported accidents!!

Uber for taz.

beorhthelm

Jul 21, 2003
If you clear away cars, you clear away people. The high street is dying.

its more complex than that. small town high streets have problems, but large shopping centres are growing. its traveling to vs through the high st: if you cant get to a shopping area its difficult to get customers, once there if you can drive through the high st its difficult to keep them. example the Lanes, North Laine and Churchill Square are great for meandering around. London rd is pretty crapy. some people dont recognise that customers need to get to the town city centre, but they are usually anti-car generally.

Tom Hark Preston Park

Will Post For Cash
Jul 6, 2003
its more complex than that. small town high streets have problems, but large shopping centres are growing. its traveling to vs through the high st: if you cant get to a shopping area its difficult to get customers, once there if you can drive through the high st its difficult to keep them. example the Lanes, North Laine and Churchill Square are great for meandering around. London rd is pretty crapy

I'd suggest that London Road could be equally great for meandering around if it was fully pedestrianised. Should have been done years ago IMHO.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here