Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

The mystery of Gus' obsession with playing "his" way....

Trigger

Jul 4, 2003
Brighton
He's got to realise he needs a plan b, different teams will sometimes require a different style of play, something he claearly lacks knowledge of... You cannot play the same way against every f***ing team!!!

Chicken Runner61

We stand where we want!
May 20, 2007
Don't you think it's better to have a long-term philosophy of playing football the right way, rather than a short-term philosophy of doing whatever it takes to win games.

If/when we do go up, we won't want to come straight back down again. We need to emulate clubs like Swansea, not Southampton.

Sorry but thats just bollocks - You need to be able to mix it up - playing one style is plain dumb no matter how good you are at it. Please don't quote Barca at me either Spain is a two club league but one of the most entertaining to watch was/is bilbao who play a varied style

Seasider78

Nov 14, 2004
It's time to ring the changes. One of the central midfielders has to be dropped to give us another attacking outlet we are simply not creating enough chances at the moment which is making missed ones more precious.

Goldstone Rapper

Rediffusion PlayerofYear
Jan 19, 2009
BN3 7DE
Don't you think it's better to have a long-term philosophy of playing football the right way, rather than a short-term philosophy of doing whatever it takes to win games.

If/when we do go up, we won't want to come straight back down again. We need to emulate clubs like Swansea, not Southampton.

There is no 'right way' to play football. It takes all sorts of styles.

Zebedee

Anyone seen Florence?
Jul 8, 2003
Hangleton
1 goal in 5 games. thats 7 1/2 hours football lets hope Gus knows something we don't, has anyone ever pointed out to Gus that if you don't score a goal you ain't every going to win a game of football:rant:

We must always remember that Gus knows best - regardless of our results and position in the table. He deserves all of our undying loyalty and devotion, unreservedly.

Barnham Seagull

Yapton Actually
Dec 28, 2005
Yapton
It's time to ring the changes. One of the central midfielders has to be dropped to give us another attacking outlet we are simply not creating enough chances at the moment which is making missed ones more precious.

To true, the ones miss we over analysise as we have so few shots on target etc

The 2 players that made the L1 winning team special (Bennett & Murray) were allowed to go and haven't been replaced adequately despite signing about 50 new players

We can shut off pretty much 99% of the ramblings on this website and replace it with that comment. It really is that simple. They are the two technically gifted players we let go and never replaced. You can play down Murray all you like but Palace have a class target man at this level. And Bennett was the best wide player I saw below the Prem. People bang on about Gus, Barnes, Greer etc WE as a club, Gus and the managment team have not replaced those two players.

The football we play is a world away from most clubs style of play yet we just dont have the players at the moment to link it together.

Ernest

Stupid IDIOT
Nov 8, 2003
LOONEY BIN
We can shut off pretty much 99% of the ramblings on this website and replace it with that comment. It really is that simple. They are the two technically gifted players we let go and never replaced. You can play down Murray all you like but Palace have a class target man at this level. And Bennett was the best wide player I saw below the Prem. People bang on about Gus, Barnes, Greer etc WE as a club, Gus and the managment team have not replaced those two players.

The football we play is a world away from most clubs style of play yet we just dont have the players at the moment to link it together.

And neither were a Poyet signing although he did get the best out of Murray and once he had got into his head then proceeded to let him go

goldstone

Jul 5, 2003
I don't care how the feck we play as long as we score goals!!

I don't go to football matches to see the ball being passed around in triangles for 90 minutes and my side not scoring a goal. Give me no fecking triangles and 4 goals any day.

seagullsovergrimsby

#cpfctinpotclub
Aug 21, 2005
Crap Town
I have the feeling the fans aren't all on board with your philosophy like ours were.

They are when it means 3 points , when we lose the feeling is to revert to the old style just to see if it makes a difference. Personally I think the pace and momentum needs a bit of oomph when we keep possession.

Chesney Christ

Sep 3, 2003
Location, Location
I have the feeling the fans aren't all on board with your philosophy like ours were.

I'm fully on board with the philosophy mate.

But you can't say "we want to play the Swansea way"..... then sign Dean Hammond and Andrew Crofts.

You built your team around Leon Britton and Joe Allen. They are footballers...... Crofts and Hammond are runners.

Bean

Feb 13, 2010
Hove
It still baffles me why we let Murray go. It really does.

Oct 25, 2003
the problem with our style of play is that, whilst it looks good when we're on form, when we get into a rut it's REALLY difficult to get out of it......it happened last year and it looks like it's happening again this year

when you're in the middle of a bad run you really need to be able to grind out a result from somewhere which is when you need to mix it up a bit. It's clear that to a certain extent teams in this division know what it takes to stop us from winning so we need the ability to mind f*** them with a kick ass plan b from somewhere. I honestly can't see us doing that

BrianSwan

Apr 15, 2012
From the games I saw, only Bridcutt seemed to hold down the CM role well for your style, I agree.

Hamilton

NSC Patron
Jul 7, 2003
Brighton
Gus's style is absolutely fine. It's just that some of the players are getting found out at this level now.

We won't go down with the crew we have, but I can't see us going up with personnel change - and that won't happen for another season.

Notters

Oct 20, 2003
Guiseley

Most of us are Brian. We just have a lot of whinging impatient goons. To be honest, the moaners are doing far more to ruin my enjoyment of the Allison than the recent defeats. Some people seem to think we have a divine right to storm one of the most competitive leagues the world.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here