Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

"The movement was excellent but we failed to deliver in the final third"

BensGrandad

Jul 13, 2003
Haywards Heath
I may well be wrong but the impression I get is that neither Wilkins nor White command much respect and the senior players just say b....cks we will play as we want not as you say as you dont know what you are talking about.

It was so obvious that a blind man could see that we needed to attack them down both flanks so what was the point of signing Bakyogo.. did we need to lose some money to avoid tax.

Yorkie

Sussex born and bred
Jul 5, 2003
dahn sarf
BensGrandad said:
I may well be wrong but the impression I get is that neither Wilkins nor White command much respect and the senior players just say b....cks we will play as we want not as you say as you dont know what you are talking about.

I will call that opinion a load of complete rubbish.

BensGrandad

Jul 13, 2003
Haywards Heath
Yorkie said:
I will call that opinion a load of complete rubbish.

If you are correct, which you may well be, why is it that whatever substitutions they make it never or very rarely works to improve the team or the performance. Today was a classic example did we improve with Revell or Gatting coming on. No we didnt if anything we looked worse.

Yorkie

Sussex born and bred
Jul 5, 2003
dahn sarf
BensGrandad said:
If you are correct, which you may well be, why is it that whatever substitutions they make it never or very rarely works to improve the team or the performance. Today was a classic example did we improve with Revell or Gatting coming on. No we didnt if anything we looked worse.

I agree the substitutions didn't improve things much although Revell did get a bit more forward play going.
What on earth has that got to do with senior player's attitudes?

Titanic

Super Moderator
Helpful Moderator
Jul 5, 2003
West Sussex
BensGrandad said:

Senior players ? Have we got any ??

Mustela Furo

Advantage Player
Jul 7, 2003
To be fair to the manager, the statistics for the first 30 minutes showed possession at a startling 82% Albion,. 18% Bradford

then they scored against the run of play and two things happened.

1: they suddenly got a huge injection of confidence. "We can stay up" was the adrenaline that then pumped through their veins, after looking totally resigned to relegation for much of the opening half-an-hour

2: We collapsed, our own confidence dissolved away and, other than a few brief flurries, we were unable to repeat the genuinely flowing football that was in evidence during that first 30 minute spell.

Goals change matches - it's as simple as that

Tooting Gull

Jul 5, 2003
It does rather seem like DW is describing Arsenal, rather than Brighton. Easy mistake to make.

Yorkie

Sussex born and bred
Jul 5, 2003
dahn sarf
Mustela Furo said:

Overly simplistic, I know, but why the heck can't we score them?

Da Man Clay

T'Blades
Dec 16, 2004
Yorkie said:
I agree the substitutions didn't improve things much although Revell did get a bit more forward play going.
What on earth has that got to do with senior player's attitudes?
That IMO Wilkins isn't strong enough to manage them. Could you see El-Abd doing what he did today under McGhee?

Titanic

Super Moderator
Helpful Moderator
Jul 5, 2003
West Sussex
Mustela Furo said:
To be fair to the manager, the statistics for the first 30 minutes showed possession at a startling 82% Albion,. 18% Bradford

then they scored against the run of play and two things happened.

1: they suddenly got a huge injection of confidence. "We can stay up" was the adrenaline that then pumped through their veins, after looking totally resigned to relegation for much of the opening half-an-hour

2: We collapsed, our own confidence dissolved away and, other than a few brief flurries, we were unable to repeat the genuinely flowing football that was in evidence during that first 30 minute spell.

I'm sorry, but that is pathetic. And all the more reason for people being distinctly unimpressed at the end of the game.

That and the fact that we have seen it all before... week after week...

Albion 1 Yeovil 3
Albion 1 Carlisle 2
Albion 0 Millwall 1
Albion 0 Port Vale 0
Albion 0 Rotherham 0
Albion 2 Forest 1
Albion 0 Bristol City 2
Albion 1 Scunny 1
Albion 0 Huddersfield 0
Albion 0 Doncaster 2
Albion 0 Bradford 1

If these players are really so fragile then perhaps we need some others in the team with a bit of professional nouse and experience.

Or do we just hope that somehow the current squad will suddenly 'get it' and all will be well ?

Silent Bob

( ͡° ͜ʖ ͡°)
Dec 6, 2004
Agree with the above from Ferret, BUT feel that Dean's subs failed to affect the game really, the diamond system doesn't work, but when we made changes we lost our shape entirely. Robinson is a striker or maybe a very advanced wide player, not an attacking midfielder. Doug Loft? What about Gary Hart. Why not give Bagayoko a go, we seemed to be crying out for a bit of pace and willingness to run with the ball. And if he is not good enough, what is he doing here?

Goals change games yes, but it took us an hour to recover from conceding, and then we only briefly sparked into life. And their goal came from a bad error giving the ball away needlessly and allowing them to break - the third such mistake in a matter of minutes.

Silent Bob

( ͡° ͜ʖ ͡°)
Dec 6, 2004
Da Man Clay said:
That IMO Wilkins isn't strong enough to manage them. Could you see El-Abd doing what he did today under McGhee?
Yeah, McGhee was well respected by all the camp. :jester:

I don't recall Adam El-Abd ever getting up to anything he shouldn't have in those days! :jester: :jester:

Da Man Clay

T'Blades
Dec 16, 2004
Silent Bob said:
Yeah, McGhee was well respected by all the camp. :jester:

I don't recall Adam El-Abd ever getting up to anything he shouldn't have in those days! :jester: :jester:

I dont recall anyone getting up to anything like that when McGhee was here. McGhee was only example, could you see him doing it while Adams or Coppell was here?

Silent Bob

( ͡° ͜ʖ ͡°)
Dec 6, 2004
Yes, to be honest. The are people not robots and no manager will ever control 100% of what they say or do. Someone with El-Abd's temperament will always respond to abuse, that's just the way he is.

As sticks to beat the manager with go I'd say it's a pretty poor one, especially when we played like we did today.

Les Biehn

GAME OVER
Aug 14, 2005
El-Abd would never have done it under MM. He was to busy getting pissed.

dougdeep

May 9, 2004
SUNNY SEAFORD
Titanic said:

If these players are really so fragile then perhaps we need some others.

Wow, never thought of that, perhaps we should get out the chequebook. :jester:

JJ McClure

Go Jags
Jul 7, 2003
Hassocks
Lord Bracknell said:
Dean Wilkins' post-match comment.

Is it really that simple?

All we have to do is "deliver in the final third".

What EXACTLY does he mean? Can someone explain? Or am I being stupid?

I think what he means is that we couldn't put in a good cross for love nor money yesterday.

Mendoza

NSC's Most Stalked
Yesterday went wrong in midfield.

The midfield of Cox, Fraser, Loft and Bertin didnt work, they had poor games, so how do you change that with the subs of Elphick, Bagayoko, Revell and Gatting

We had no replacements for the midfield which were the worst part of the team yesterday.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here