Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

The most blatantly diddled crowd figure in the history of Association Football

The Clown of Pevensey Bay

Jul 5, 2003
Suburbia
So Oldham said it was 6522 did they? Utter balls... Soccernet reckons Boundary Park's capacity is aboce 13000... the ground was more than two-thirds full! If you're going to try that one on (and I'm not saying we've never been guilty of it... remember when the first two games at the Priestfield registered the same attendance?) then at least submit a realistic number...

Reeves_for_England

Aug 3, 2003
In all fairness, I don't think that it was 'diddled'. A certain number of people are allowed into the game for free and so aren't included in the overall attendance figure. I reckon that the actual attendance today was about 7000.

However, the Rochdale Road End (which seats 4600) only had 1000 people in it, which means that other 3 stands would have seated 6000 people, which is exactly 2/3 of the amount available.

Therefore, it would appear to Brighton fans that the ground was 2/3 full (as they didn't have a perspective of their own stand) when it was in fact only half full.

y2dave

Jul 23, 2003
Bracknell
I remember hearing the reason crowds rarely were officaly over 10,000 at the goldstone was because Mcdouglad and Miinton had clauses which earned them a big payday if we had a +10k crowd.

Fran Hagarty

Jul 5, 2003
Mid Sussex
Somebody told me that it was announced as 911, I think.

Everest

Me
Jul 5, 2003
Southwick
911? Only a couple of hundred short of Fake Wimbledons attendance.:D

Simon

Jul 5, 2003
With Oldham in such financial shit at the moment, it is hardly surprising that they 'lost' about 400 Albion fans!

Simon said:
With Oldham in such financial shit at the moment, it is hardly surprising that they 'lost' about 400 Albion fans!

True but come on, 6,500?! We couldn't believe it when they annouced that. The ground supposedly holds 13,000 so that means it was half full yesterday? Yeah, right!

It's a shame because I'm sure Oldham would like people to see that they're getting decent crowds as well. And it's annoying for us because we definitely took well over 1,000. Christ, the old bill were expecting 1,700 of us!

Reeves_for_England

Aug 3, 2003
Sorry, but you didn't take over 1000. The side of the stand you were in holds about 2600 and it wass nowhere near half full. 911 sounds about right to me.

Hans Kraay

Aug 3, 2003
Church Langley, Essex
actually he worst ever count of a crown was at the goldstone a few years ago when England under 21's played ??? a full house and only 14000 recorded!!!!!!

Bob!

Coffee Buyer
Jul 5, 2003
Safeway Seagull said:
True but come on, 6,500?! We couldn't believe it when they annouced that. The ground supposedly holds 13,000 so that means it was half full yesterday? Yeah, right!

It's a shame because I'm sure Oldham would like people to see that they're getting decent crowds as well. And it's annoying for us because we definitely took well over 1,000. Christ, the old bill were expecting 1,700 of us!

I had a good larf at the crowd figure as well.

I don't mind if the money is going into the Clubs back pocket, and not to the taxman.

But, if it's dodgy turnstile operators taking Oldham Athletic Football Club to the cleaners they should be shot.

Trouble is the Club fiddling the numbers creates an environment where the turnstile operators will think its ok to fiddle the numbers, and the Club WILL lose out.

Yorkie

Sussex born and bred
Jul 5, 2003
dahn sarf
It was fun trying to get the giant banana through the turnstiles yesterday :banana:

Perhaps that accounted for at least a couple of people

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here