Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Travel] The morning commute.

PascalGroß Tips

Jan 29, 2024
... Or older people. My work phone is an iPhone, which definitely is not my choice. I don't play music on it but as Apple in their infinite wisdom decided to dispense with an earphone jack, I can't use my headphones on it. Which means that calls, voice mails and video clips that my company send me are broadcast to the world. It drives me mad, let alone the other passengers.

PS Just in case anyone says get bluetooth headphones, I have some but they're not Apple so don't work with the iPhone. I really don't see why I should fork out for headphones I don't want for a phone I didn't want in the first place

Other cheaper/similar options available.

sully

Dunscouting
Jul 7, 2003
Worthing
... Or older people. My work phone is an iPhone, which definitely is not my choice. I don't play music on it but as Apple in their infinite wisdom decided to dispense with an earphone jack, I can't use my headphones on it. Which means that calls, voice mails and video clips that my company send me are broadcast to the world. It drives me mad, let alone the other passengers.

PS Just in case anyone says get bluetooth headphones, I have some but they're not Apple so don't work with the iPhone. I really don't see why I should fork out for headphones I don't want for a phone I didn't want in the first place
They don’t need to be Bluetooth to work on an iPhone. They work through the lightning jack.

sparkie

Jul 17, 2003
Hove
Social media like Xwitter has taught people to be rude, argumentative and unpleasant.

Something needs to be done to reduce it's usage. Maybe even a tax on this usage however that could be done.

Curious Orange

Punxsatawney Phil
Jul 5, 2003
On NSC for over two decades...
You're right and it is definitely noticeable.

I put it down to a combination of many factors, but mostly technology and social media.

Many people are so absorbed in their internal worlds with their phones, headphones, social media and so on - that they have little interest in the people around them in the real world anymore.

Sounds like some ridiculous episode of Doctor Who...

AmexRuislip

Retired Spy 🕵️‍♂️
Feb 2, 2014
Ruislip
I work nights but this week am on a training course so am commuting into Brighton on the bus each morning.

Hell’s Bells! People really are mad, selfish, ****s aren’t they.

Speaker phone conversations, smelly food, farting, grunting, vaping, music out loud on their phones. And this is adults. Before the school run.

I don’t remember it being like this before Covid. The odd tut from behind a copy of The Times and a whispered, hurried phone call here and there but this is bonkers. A marked difference.

Why have people become so selfish and disrespectful of others?

I don’t like it out amongst the day-walkers.
Try going on the tube into Landan
They're like time capsules of ignorance.
When boarding a tube train yr hit with the delights of the night before and Covid :angry:

Westdene Seagull

aka Cap'n Carl Firecrotch
NSC Patron
Oct 27, 2003
The arse end of Hangleton
I work nights but this week am on a training course so am commuting into Brighton on the bus each morning.

Speaker phone conversations, smelly food, farting, grunting, vaping, music out loud on their phones. And this is adults. Before the school run.

I don’t remember it being like this before Covid. The odd tut from behind a copy of The Times and a whispered, hurried phone call here and there but this is bonkers. A marked difference.

And yet a number of employers I'm currently speaking to don't understand why I ask for remote working. Employers need to wake up and understand that they will lose the best if they don't offer remote working. :facepalm:

Westdene Seagull

aka Cap'n Carl Firecrotch
NSC Patron
Oct 27, 2003
The arse end of Hangleton

You can get a Apple jack plug converter .... obviously paid for by your employer.

dwayne

Jul 5, 2003
London
The tube in London is still fairly quiet. No one talks to each other, don't see too many people playing music and or games loudly. Lots of rude tourists about who push and get in the way but overall pretty much the same as it always was.

GJN1

Nov 4, 2014
Brighton

Hell is other people.

Justice

Dangerous Idiot
Jun 21, 2012
Born In Shoreham
Says a load of football fans happy to pile on a train for a few hours drinking, singing and generally making life uncomfortable for the normal traveller :facepalm:

And that isn’t a post Covid activity we’ve been at it since I can remember.

Brovion

In my defence, I was left unsupervised.
NSC Patron
Jul 6, 2003
My train-commuting days are thankfully over, they finished in 2015. Towards the end I thought people were getting slightly more selfish, but it sounds like it's got much worse. Nowadays I only usually only get the train between Brighton and Shoreham or Worthing, but as that's at evenings and weekends you almost expect the behaviour to be slightly worse as it's just day-trippers and not regular daily commuters who always used to obey the 'code'.

I now go by bus to Uckfield, and I have to say that isn't too bad. You do get the occasional twat, but mostly it's ok. We had one the other day - and when the bus stopped the driver turned round and told him to be quiet!

However if it gets too much I have a solution - drive. Buy a car and drive. Yes, ok the traffic is horrendous but at least in a car you know that when you stop a dozen strangers aren't going to try and squash themselves in, and then eat smelly food, talk loudly or watch Britain's Got Talent whilst pushed up against your armpits.

studio150

Jul 30, 2011
On the Border
My train-commuting days are thankfully over, they finished in 2015. Towards the end I thought people were getting slightly more selfish, but it sounds like it's got much worse.

I commuted to London Bridge for 25 years, and back in those days, the low lights were.

Someone pushing in to get on the train
Opening or closing a window without asking first
Non regulars talking rather than just reading their newspaper

But this all changed when mobile phones arrived, having a phone call, which usually all you could hear in the carriage was

I'm on a train.....I'm just going into a tunnel....hello, hello can you hear hear me.......Hello again, I through the tunnel now......
Having the volume too loud, which usually resulted in a chorus or can you turn the volume down please

The worse was probably one person on their phone on the same call from London Bridge to Preston Park, until someone told them it was probably time to end the call.

Iggle Piggle

Sep 3, 2010
Don’t go to China then…….absolutely accepted practice there. Took a couple of train journeys that were horrific due to the noise in the carriage.

Also had this on a couple of recent plane journeys - once a solo adult watching something on a phone, the other a couple allowing cartoons to play at full volume on an ipad for their kid. In the second case they were asked to turn it down and that escalated into a bit of a row.

Kids in pubs watching Peppa pig at full volume is the other one. I understand keeping your kids quiet but making more noise that if they were legging it round the juicer is totally nonsensical.

Gwylan

Jul 5, 2003
Uffern

Other cheaper/similar options available.
But it would still entail my buying something for a product that I don't need. I have no intention of maintaining an iPhone when I finish my contract with this company.

BNthree

Plastic JCL
Sep 14, 2016
WeHo

These exist and cost about £5

images.jpeg

Secondly bluetooth is a universal standard and any Bluetooth headphones should work wit an iPhone, I use Sony ones with mine.

essbee1

Jun 25, 2014
I commuted to London Bridge for 25 years, and back in those days, the low lights were.

Someone pushing in to get on the train
Opening or closing a window without asking first
Non regulars talking rather than just reading their newspaper

But this all changed when mobile phones arrived, having a phone call, which usually all you could hear in the carriage was

I'm on a train.....I'm just going into a tunnel....hello, hello can you hear hear me.......Hello again, I through the tunnel now......
Having the volume too loud, which usually resulted in a chorus or can you turn the volume down please

The worse was probably one person on their phone on the same call from London Bridge to Preston Park, until someone told them it was probably time to end the call.
I used to hang out in the buffet carriage where you could get two slices of buttered toast in the morning and cup of tea. I can still
smell that toast now.

PascalGroß Tips

Jan 29, 2024
Just trying to help and suggest a relatively cheap option for you to listen to music if you wanted to - as have others on this thread. Even if it's just to block out noise from others being antisocial.

PascalGroß Tips

Jan 29, 2024

They really should work with your iPhone. My wife uses non Apple bluetooth earphones and headphones.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here