Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

The moment you believed it really would happen...

Mo Gosfield

Aug 11, 2010
No question.....Carlisle at home.
Difficult opponents, who kept coming at us and seemed to have clinched a draw in stoppage time.....and then.....that left foot volley...so unexpected...so glorious...so final....no coming back....just stamping your authority on a game that could so easily have gone the other way.
Many fans have commented on the roar that went up when Liam's shot went in...saying that they had never heard such an instant explosion of joy and relief. I believe that was the moment that any self-doubt left us..that deep down we all knew that these players had supreme self-belief and confidence to turn round any situation...that they would just keep going and going...
I left the ground with a real warm feeling...that inner confidence that nothing was going to stop us.
It was the defining moment.

somerset

Jul 14, 2003
Yatton, North Somerset
The Charlton and Peterborough away games were the most memorable for me, but I still didn't think we'd do it until that magical Carlisle game...

Exactly this combination,....... Liam knocking that 93rd minute winner just screamed at me.... "DESTINY".

Beach Hut

Brighton Bhuna Boy
Jul 5, 2003
Living In a Box
Potentially at Charlton but thought it might just be a one off but when we tore apart Peterborough I was pretty certain we were something special.

Barry Izbak

U.T.A.
Dec 7, 2005
Lancing By Sea
Not one particular moment for me either, but a combination of the sheer style of play at places like Charlton coupled with the fact we stayed top after November/December, after so many other sides were supposedly going to overtake us, that was when I felt sure we'd make it.

Hunting 784561

Jul 8, 2003
Charlton away for me.

It wasn't just the victory, but the style, and utter annihilation of a very decent side.

Peterborough away then just confirmed it beyond any doubt.

severnside gull

May 16, 2007
By the seaside in West Somerset
No question.....Carlisle at home.
Difficult opponents, who kept coming at us and seemed to have clinched a draw in stoppage time.....and then.....that left foot volley...so unexpected...so glorious...so final....no coming back....just stamping your authority on a game that could so easily have gone the other way.
Many fans have commented on the roar that went up when Liam's shot went in...saying that they had never heard such an instant explosion of joy and relief. I believe that was the moment that any self-doubt left us..that deep down we all knew that these players had supreme self-belief and confidence to turn round any situation...that they would just keep going and going...
I left the ground with a real warm feeling...that inner confidence that nothing was going to stop us.
It was the defining moment.

poetry :thumbsup:

Perkino

Dec 11, 2009
Last season when we were getting results that a playoff side would be proud of, in particular the win up at Charlton.

When Gus took over he was given a contract for 18 months and told us he would get another one if he got us promoted, this was an obvious sign that Gus and Tony were expecting this to happen. I met Gus that very night and the confidence and charisma he displayed made me certain we had signed the right guy and seeing his transformation for the first few months made me certain we would be going up this year

I think it was the run of "playing average against difficult teams away and still managing to nab three points" games last month that finally did it. That and Bridcutt's goal against Carlisle. Just seen Tuesday's effort on player, he certainly knows how to hit a ball given the chance.

Thimble Keegan

Remy LeBeau
Jul 7, 2003
Rustington, Littlehampton
Dagenham & Redsomething. That game was an incredibly hard fought win but we got the points and (correct me if I am wrong) it extended our lead at the top to the biggest margin it had been upto that point...And this was March! It was not October/November/December where there was plenty of time for the rest to catch us but so late into the season that the challengers remaining games were down to single digits. I believe that although no one from the club would admit it but they thought the job was pretty much done when coming off the pitch against the Daggers. The celebrations were very animated and anyone who went to Spotland the following Saturday saw us play with a lot more freedom and almost without pressure as it was in the bag.

The real turning point for me though was the Charlton home game. We spent much of November & December being pretty ordinary at times and by the time the Addicks rocked up Withdean we had gone nearly 2 months without a league win. Charlton on the other hand had been on pretty good form since the footballing lesson we handed out to them earlier in the season and were in the pack that was chasing us. With conceding after about 2mins and then going down to 10 men 8minutes later I honestly thought that not only had the wheels come off but the engine had fallen out as well...It was real head in hands stuff and our season was falling apart infront of our eyes. Then we created a decent chance out of nothing which Murray missed and suddenly the confidence flowed back and proceeded to completely outplay Athletic with even with their man advantage. We equalised just before half-time and despite the last minute scare we really should have hammered them in the second half, especially with Kish's late, late chance. That result meant that we were back to our best and the next game we smashed Orient 5-0.

But man alive, has this been one hell of a season...

Albion & England forever.

Thimble Keegan
Rustington BHA

Difficult one, this. Having been a fan for long enough to know what we are capable of, I spent all season (well, since 25 September) thinking "the wheels have to come off at some point" - but they never did. So, I suppose it sort of sneaked up on me. But that week of Yeovil & Brentford has to be up there. All of a sudden, we not only had to collapse, but one of the challengers would have had to go on an astonishing run as well.

The Large One

Who's Next?
Jul 7, 2003
97.2FM
The real turning point for me though was the Charlton home game. We spent much of November & December being pretty ordinary at times and by the time the Addicks rocked up Withdean we had gone nearly 2 months without a league win. Charlton on the other hand had been on pretty good form since the footballing lesson we handed out to them earlier in the season and were in the pack that was chasing us. With conceding after about 2mins and then going down to 10 men 8minutes later I honestly thought that not only had the wheels come off but the engine had fallen out as well...It was real head in hands stuff and our season was falling apart infront of our eyes. Then we created a decent chance out of nothing which Murray missed and suddenly the confidence flowed back and proceeded to completely outplay Athletic with even with their man advantage. We equalised just before half-time and despite the last minute scare we really should have hammered them in the second half, especially with Kish's late, late chance. That result meant that we were back to our best and the next game we smashed Orient 5-0.

But man alive, has this been one hell of a season...

Albion & England forever.

Thimble Keegan
Rustington BHA

This. To the power of 'this'.

Marc1901

Peace out.
Apr 26, 2009
The Championship.
Oldham and Dagenham away. These two games we should of NEVER came away with all 3 points but we did and it proved that we should be going up as champions.

Last edited:

Feb 24, 2011
Upper Bevendean
..and another. I thought we had a great chance before then but when that happens you just know it's gonna be your year.

...+1, I almost fell out of my wheelchair at the sheer exhilaration of the moment. I knew then, I said to my Son at the time "that goal has just promoted us" although obviously it hadn't, but the feeling it gave us all, and proved to the Adkins of this world, that our never give up attitude would definitely see us through.

Scotty Mac

Jul 13, 2003
brentford

we were wank, missed a penalty and then they had the decency to score a blinding own goal. thats the sort of luck you need to go up

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here