Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

The Martlets Day Hospice Being Closed To Save £190,000 Over The Next 12 Months

Tom Hark Preston Park

Will Post For Cash
Jul 6, 2003
Saw a bit about this on BBC South the other night and its also in todays Argus. The Day Hospice obviously means the world to its users and it would be a tragedy if it had to close its day care service. Obviously money's tight in the current climate, but surely there must be some local individual or company who could stick their hand in their pocket to keep this most valuable of local services going?

'Growing anger at The Martlets day hospice closure

QUESTIONS have been raised over a decision to suddenly close a day hospice.

Patients, staff and volunteers at The Martlets Hospice in Hove have contacted The Argus with concerns about how the closure was handled and calling for the service to be kept on.

Hospice bosses announced earlier this month that the day hospice would close on October 26, saving it around £190,000 over the next 12 months.

They said the move was necessary to protect its inpatient and community services, including Hospice@Home.

However, opponents say they should have been given more than two weeks to come to terms with the decision.

One of the issues raised is the recent refurbishment of offices and a spiritual area of the hospice. Opponents said the money should have been spent on day hospice services instead.

One supporter who contacted The Argus said: “We would have liked to have been given the chance to see what we could do to help.”

Hospice bosses insist the refurbishment of the inpatient and spiritual area was carried out following a grant of almost £500,000 from the Department of Health that could not be used for anything else.

The decision to invest in extending the building was to enable the hospice to have the capacity to develop the Hospice@Home service and care agency.

There have also been calls for a change in the hospice’s management structure.

Head of fundraising Robert Griffiths said: “Current day hospice patients will continue to be offered symptom control, psychological, social and spiritual care by the hospice as needed after the closure.”'

Monty

Feb 21, 2008
I am running the Brighton Marathon to raise money for The Martlets Hospice and have just set up my sposorship page. Most of you obviously wont know me personally but I know this charity means so much to so many people.

Please visit my page Nicholas Daley is fundraising for The Martlets Hospice if you would like to make a donation. Thanks everyone!

bhaexpress

Jul 7, 2003
Kent
Don't you people realise that it's far more important for said bosses to have nice desks that are suitable for people of their stature rather than waste money on the sick and the dying ?

skipper734

Registered ruffian
Aug 9, 2008
Curdridge
Tony ran the Brighton Marathon for them last year. Raised £150,000 !

ROSM

Dec 26, 2005
Just far enough away from LDC
As some of you may know, I lost my mum recently and there were simply no available beds in Sussex for her to receive hospice care in her last days. By the time one came available she was too ill to be moved.

Nothing against the RSCH who did what they could in difficult circumstances but these places provide such a valuable service and give people (the ill and their families) dignity at a difficult time. The day service is one thing, but clearly money will also be tight for the residential service and help at home services too.

If there is any justice in this world, then money will be found to not only maintain the current services but also extend them

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here